Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
802.11n
lukaszsw
Accepted Solution

1-3-3-1 beeps when shutting down?

I've got this strange beep message when I tried to reboot my W500. I was using Intel power saving graphics when it happend. The screen turned black, it stared beeping as it was from motherboard internal speaker. It went like this 1 beep, 3 beeps, 3 beeps, 1 beep. I looked briefly at the manual troubleshooting section but it seems only to list error messages from PC Doctor.

Can anybody tell me if I've got a some problems with my machine?

It happened twice already but I didn't notice any other issues.

--
W510 Q820M,FX 880M, 12gb RAM, Win7
andyP
Topics: 163
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Re: 1-3-3-1 beeps when shutting down?

[ Edited ]

According to the Hardware Maintainance Manual, (pdf page 52), the beep code is a RAM (memory) or mainboard failure. :smileysad:

I suggest re-seating your memory, (pdf page 78), and testing it with memtest86. Whatever the results, I would call support.

Edit; Typo

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

802.11n
lukaszsw

Thanks Andy! Well, I need this machine for another week so lets hope, fingers crossed, that it will not die on me.

--
W510 Q820M,FX 880M, 12gb RAM, Win7
Paper Tape
archon810

[ Edited ]

I got my W500 last week and it already did it to me once. Exact same sequence. Btw, the manual does mention it, you just have to dig through to find it.

Another reason why I won't feel too bad about returning mine.

Paper Tape
edros

[ Edited ]

Here is a simple solution that worked for me. It seems that a small round piece of tape that is used for wire management was interfering with the upper dimm slot.  The tape rolled over and blocked some of the dimm pin connections. After removing the tape and continually reseating the memory chip to ensure good contact and remove some of the sticky residue left behind from the tape the beeping errors went away.

Hope this helps a stupid issue go away!!!