Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
dana_2
Accepted Solution

2 more W500 questions

Hi guys,

I have two more questions in regards to my W500.

a) There are 3 partitions on my HDD: (i) C: is the normal partition (ii) SERVICE003 (S:smileyhappy: (iii) Lenovo (Q:smileyhappy:. Was expecting two partitions (one for recovery and one normal). I have three and I have no clue what is the difference in between partitions (ii) and (iii)

b) In the battery compartment there is a small plastic tag with one up arrow and one down arrow (up down). Pulling the plastic tag reveals something which looks like an SD card. What's the purpose of this plastic tag and SD card? Should it be removed or not?

Appreciate it,

George

Ctrl-Alt-Del
jlee45

Re: 2 more W500 questions

Hello,

I was recently setting up my girlfriend's w500 and have the same two questions.

I left the white tab in the machine and installed the battery, hope that isn't a problem...

jlee

Retired Moderator
vkyr

a) I'am not sure on this, since usually you would have a system and a service/recovery partition, but the third partition might be used as a placeholder for own perfomed backups via rescue/recovery or the like.

b) Sounds like a SIM card slot for UMTS (so called in europe) communication cards etc. Take a look into the W500/T500 Hardware Maintance Manual in order to identify this component. - If your TP has/offers UMTS etc. there might be a working sim card or a dummy placeholder for such a card inside the card slot. Usually the card will only need to be removed when doing hardware servicing for the notebook (e.g. replacing fru parts etc.), otherwise it should be leaved installed.

ThinkPad T60/X32/600/770 · IBM IntelliStation · 3x IBM SpaceSaver II

Fanfold Paper
dana_2

Maybe my question is stupid, but where can I find this "W500/T500 Hardware Maintance Manual "?
Punch Card
Wombat2

dana_2 wrote:
Maybe my question is stupid, but where can I find this "W500/T500 Hardware Maintance Manual "?
Click on 'support & downloads', then click on 'user guides and manuals' listed under quick links. Choose the 'Brand' and 'Family' and click continue. It should be among the list provided.

Retired Moderator
vkyr

Here is the direct Link/URL to the W500/T500 HMM PDF-file.

ThinkPad T60/X32/600/770 · IBM IntelliStation · 3x IBM SpaceSaver II