Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
jhowland

Re: 3D monitor with the W520

re the camera calibration--I am using a variant of the OpenCV calibration, which originally stemmed from the matalb toolbox.  It does full radial distortion--so yes, the full FOV is calibrated, to within the limits of the model.

802.11n
christopherlang

[ Edited ]

Hi Jimbo. Thanks for your thoughts. They pretty much parallel my own and I have some similar concerns even. I have isolated the problem with the laptop sleeping on it's own to Nvidia's 295 and 296 drivers (the issue is that using these drivers my w520 will go to sleep after a couple of minutes regardless of no idle timers being set in the power mgmt scheme. The event log just says the system was idle and it sleeps. I am also using Lenovo's preload on this w520.). I have been using Nvidia's 285.62 drivers all weekend and absolutely no power management problems. So far as having the motherboard replaced you may be correct. Though last week I did have an additional issue with the laptop resuming from sleep (I woke the machine and the lights would come one, things would spin up (fan, bdrw), power back down, and then it would just cycle doing this until I finally pulled the plug and battery. For good measure I went ahead and reseated all the memory). (The wake problem was not while using the 285.62 drivers).

Perhaps the resume issue was somehow related to trying various Nvidia drivers and video settings in BIOS and booting between discrete and Optimus modes (3D support was missing for me booted using discrete mode, this is fixed in the latest Nvidia beta drivers). But I hear you.. there are risks in swapping the motherboard and well I am also not yet convinced the problem is with the 520. Especially given that these 285.62 drivers have been working all weekend with no sleep problems. I have not read much or found much on others with similar hardware having similar problems. I have a case open with Nvidia and have been talking to their Level 2 so I will probably hold off on swapping with motherboard and will continue to try to resolve this with them.

Paper Tape
jhowland

So, I reported earlier that I had ordered a bunch of stuff to try and make my Asus monitor work with the Lenovo W520.

It came in today, and the first thing I tried worked. I'm now viewing the nvidia demo, and it looks great.

I used the Accell UltraAV DisplayPort/DVI-D Dual Link Adaptor, $82 at Amazon.

The biggest issue I had with it was the usual  horrible plastic packaging that I cut my fingers on trying to open it.

Thanks for all the help everybody--once I get my own  code working, I'll report back again

802.11n
Jimbo

Congratulations!

Just to confirm, you're using the standalone USB emitter that comes with the Nvidia 3D kit, along with Lenovo's latest video driver release for the W520 (circa 11/2011), and you did NOT have to install any video drivers from Nvidia's site, correct?

Maybe you can post a side-by-side stereo image from your system once you get your software running (max image size is 50KB in messages posted here in the forums I believe, otherwise you can just link to the image). Good luck with your project, and your fingers! (I use metal shears for those packages.)

Paper Tape
jhowland

Jimbo wrote:

Congratulations!

Just to confirm, you're using the standalone USB emitter that comes with the Nvidia 3D kit, along with Lenovo's latest video driver release for the W520 (circa 11/2011), and you did NOT have to install any video drivers from Nvidia's site, correct?

that's right

Maybe you can post a side-by-side stereo image from your system once you get your software running (max image size is 50KB in messages posted here in the forums I believe, otherwise you can just link to the image). Good luck with your project, and your fingers! (I use metal shears for those packages.)

I'll have to post a link, the images are 2.5 mb each

jch

802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

Very good. This topic needed a FAQ, and this thread now approaches that.

Thanks for all the driver info, Christopher. Anyone reading this thread now knows what features the different drivers provide, and their likely side-effects.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME, does it LOOK LIKE you can crack open those glasses to replace the rechargeable batteries in them if you have to, without destroying the glasses? I'd probably buy 2-4 pairs of the Nvidia glasses for demos, at roughly $90 a pop, and I'm not keen on the idea of buying new ones after the batteries die (like if I accidentally leave a pair in a drawer for a few months with a low battery charge).

Thanks!

802.11n
christopherlang

Hey. Oh sorry forgot about that question. I have both 3d Vision 1 and 2 glass and cannot see where a battery compartment is located. I will see if I have any documentation.

802.11n
Jimbo

Thanks Christopher, that actually tells me a lot. If you happen to find out anything else, then that's great.

As I recall, AMD/ATI also offers a 3D kit which works with Nvidia GPUs and, unlike the Nvidia kit, is compatible with a variety of 3rd-party glasses. So I'll check out that kit as well.