Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
jhowland

Re: 3D monitor with the W520

I'm unfortunately a little behind some of what has been talked about in this thread--not getting some of the abbreviations.

I am using a W520 with Windows 7 Pro and an Asus VG236.  I have the monitor running off of one of the DVI connectors on the dock--I have also tried the display port with a DVI adaptor.  Neither can put my monitor into 120 Hz.  I have tried disabling the laptop monitor, etc, but no luck

All I need to do is view still pictures

Can somebody summarize what I need to do?

thanks very much

802.11n
christopherlang

Yes. Just search the forums.

Paper Tape
jhowland

Thanks for being so helpful.  Believe it or not, I have spent a good part of the last two days searching for answers, and this thread is as close as I seem to be able to get.  Perhaps I'm stupid. Does that mean I don't deserve even a pointer to some other help?    I hope you feel good about yourself, having put me in my place.

802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

Hi jhowland. I'm assuming you bought that display with the bundle that includes the Nvidia glasses and 3D software, in which case you have to install the 3D software, and use the dual-link DVI cable that comes with the display to connect to your W520.

Which means you'll also need to buy a displayport-to-dual-link-DVI adapter, such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-UltraAV-B087B-002B-DisplayPort-Dual-Link/dp/B002ISVI3U/ref=sr_1_5?s=ele...

Your Asus VG236 display won't do 120Hz 3D with anything but a dual-link-DVI connection. My understanding is that the dock for the W520 does not support dual-link DVI (it only supports single-link DVI, which is inadequate for 3D). Also, christopherlang indicated earlier in this thread that you may need to uninstall Lenovo's drivers for your video card, and instead install drivers directly from Nvidia that provide the required displayport support. I don't have a W520, and don't have time to dig up its Nvidia drivers, but PERHAPS CHRISTOPHER OR ONE OF THE OTHER PEOPLE HERE WHO HAVE DONE SO CAN PROVIDE THE APPROPRIATE LINKS. Or you can search the forum. This assumes that Lenovo has not since updated its drivers to provide that capability. So I'd probably try it with your currently-installed Lenovo video drivers first. Installing Nvidia's drivers in some cases can have unintended side-effects.

If anyone knows better, they can correct me. I'm more into 17" laptops, and am thinking of getting one with Nvidia's fastest Kepler-based graphics processor (GTX 680M) when it arrives, plus a built-in 17" 3D display, such as what Sager sells (which will smoke any W5XX--sorry!). And eventually one of the big OLED 3D TVs, which should make LCD displays look like Model T's. Still love my ThinkPad W700 though!

I also have an EVO 3D phone, with a built-in 3D camera, and great built-in Super-AMOLED glasses-free 3D display, which I use to show people my own 3D shots. I often shoot 3D with dSLR cameras, and frequently use the following free 3D image creation/viewing program, which is very good for preparing images for 3D display, and 3D photographers may find it to be invaluable:

http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/

And here are some additional links which you may find useful:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-about.html
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-content.html

And here's a mini-review of a 3D ThinkPad setup that one user created.

For anyone who's interested, I found the Asus VG236 display to be intriguing, so I dug up an excellent video review of it, and a more detailed companion written review is available. The display is extremely bright, which you need for 3D because the polarized glasses throw away a lot of light. It does suffer, however, from the limited display angles typical of TN-type LCD displays.

jhowland, you'll like that video review, because it also walks you through the software settings required to turn on 3D.

And here's a much earlier review from anandtech, which is probably a bit dated when it comes to describing specific games in 3D, but anandtech always does great reviews.

Be sure to come back and post a message here when you get it all working (preferably add it to this thread), jhowland, and tell us how you like that display.

Good luck, and have fun!

(P.S. - Today I'll see Titanic 3D in IMAX3D. I saw part of it the other day, but the projector broke down just after intermission, so all I saw in 3D was the mushy love story, and none of the exciting ship-sinking. The 3D was synthesized and okay, so not as good as Avatar, but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp 3D stick.)

What's DOS?
isegrimm

Hi all,

I have nearly the same problem as jhowland described: I connected a w520 via displayport to the dvi port of an asus vg236h using this cable: http://www.delock.de/produkte/F_92_Displayport_82592/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en, but can not enable the 120hz mode (nvidia drivers are up to date  -> v296.35)

I am not sure if this cable verysupports dual link, although there are enough pins .. can someone verify this, please? Any other advice will be appraised ..

thx!

I share also jimbos opinion about the asus display - can really recommend it, including the 3d mode (got it already to work with another pc using a dvi - dvi connection..-> great show :smileyhappy: )

isegrimm

Broadband 3G
JDay

It should be DisplayPort 1.2 since that is the latest version and it came out in 2009. The symbol next to the port also has the DisplayPort++ symbol(DP++).

802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

isegrimm, since the product page for your adapter says it only supports up to 1920 x 1080 resolution, I assume it won't work. See the description of this adapter, for example.

BTW, thumbs up for Titanic 3D in IMAX3D. I saw it in a different IMAX theater this time, and the image quality seemed to be better (perhaps because the projector was failing at the first theater), and the 3D added significantly to the impact of the movie. The 3D wasn't perfect, because the film was shot in 2D, but was pretty good considering that fact. A number of scenes were stunning in 3D, like the giant moving engine parts in the engine room, and when the rear of the ship rises out of the water, propellers and all. Quite an immersive experience. It would be fun to play it from 3D blu-ray on a large-screen TV.

802.11n
christopherlang

[ Edited ]

Hi Jimbo... Interesting what you mention about the Asus 3d panels. I looked at some of the Asus and other panels and my Benq (XL2420XT) is one of the few I found that does 3D over DisplayPort. I did not feel like hassling with finding an dual link dvi adapter so went with the Benq. It's not bad.

To jhowland: If you go the Display port to DVI adapter route I would try using the Nvidia 301.24 beta drivers. I had problems using 295 and 296 series drivers and 3D support showing up. It was available using Optimus mode but not booted using discrete mode on my 520. 3D works for me using the 301.24 drivers (I opened an issue with Nvidia and we tried the 301.24 drivers) ---3D was available booted using both grapics configurations using those drivers.

Lenovo's drivers did not support 3d for me (to clarify the issue is the built-in emitter in the Benq is not found when using a displayport connection using the older drivers --support was added by Nvidia later, can't recall what version). I thought about trying a spare usb emitter I have and then I think 3d would work for me over the displayport even using Lenovo's older drivers, I would need to test this though). I sort of think the 3D using displayport issue and the older drivers would not pertain to you (not sure your displays specs but you would probably be using an external 3d emitter).

Paper Tape
jhowland

to all who have posted with advice--thanks very much.  I am awaiting delivery of both a display port->HDMI and a DP->DVI adaptor, along iwth appropriate cabling.  I am fortunate enough to be doing this project for work, so can afford to spend a little money.   I will pass on the results when I get my hardware.

My application is stereo viewing and mensuration of imagery--essentially, I am writing the code to make my own limited analytical stereo plotter.  I have a pair of  machine visison cameras that I have calibrated.  I do an epipolar rectification, and put them up in stereo.  I move a stereo cursor around, and compute the three-dimensional position of the cursor--by setting reference points, etc, I can measured distances, lengths of complex objects, etc.   All of this works in a relatively limited way right now using a desktop workstation and a full size NVidia Quadro implementation.  The ability to do this work with a laptop will make it far easier for me to deploy it on small ships or in other field environments.

I have a couple of applications for this--we collect underwater imagery of the sea floor, and need to measure the size of scallops and other biota.  Above the surface, we combine range information from the stereo pair with GPS and attitude data to geolocate whales remotely.

Again, thanks for the help--I haven't been ignoring it, just wanted to have something to report

802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

Okay, if Christopher's theory is correct, that he only needed to install drivers direct from Nvidia's site because his BenQ display uses an integrated emitter (which therefore communicates with his computer via displayport instead of usb), then jhowland, maybe you CAN get away with using Lenovo's video drivers. I say this because Newegg's site shows your Asus display to instead use the usb standalone emitter (for anyone who's interested, click on the rightmost pic of the product).

That all makes sense to me, because amazon said it started selling the first version of the NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit on March 16, 2011. And Lenovo's latest release of the W520 video drivers was released in November 2011, according to one of the current driver threads. Since Nvidia writes those drivers for Lenovo, you'd therefore think that a driver released last November would have included support for the NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit released in March before that.

On a side-note, Christopher, the sleep problems your W520 is experiencing may indeed be related to your installation of Nvidia's driver. I say this because, historically, sleep problems are one of the issues users have complained about when installing Nvidia's drivers for past ThinkPads. The reason is that Lenovo uses a lot of custom code for things like power management, lid closing/opening and turning the display on/off (Chatbox just went through an ordeal with Lenovo's custom code for that), and functions like sleep. So you might want to see if you can isolate the sleep issue to the Nvidia drivers. If you can, then you might want to cancel your pending motherboard swap, because it then likely won't solve the problem. And a motherboard swap may expose you to some of the other problems some W520 owners are experiencing, or the tech may not do a good job of mounting the heatsinks, etc. The fact that other users of the Nvidia driver don't notice problems can be due to a number of variables (their settings, whether they have the latest versions of power management drivers, etc., by downloading them manually, or have not-the-latest because they instead used Thinkvantage updates to download drivers, or whether they notice the problems given their usage patterns, etc.).

I can appreciate the lack of need for an adapter on the BenQ display, and I'm very tempted to buy either of those displays for my W700. But I'm probably better off holding off and applying the money to something like the 17" Sager machine with the built-in 3D display, when the GTX 680M GPU comes out. I do demos, and being able to just throw the whole 3D setup into one laptop bag is very appealing. For a larger display, I should be able to use something like a 60" 3D TV with the Sager machine.

Jhowland, what you're doing sounds very cool. I think I can make a pretty good guess of where you work. My background is in machine vision as well, studying under Nevatia, Medioni, Price, et. al., at USC, whose work you may have stumbled upon once or twice. I've worked on lots of stuff for military, including some for DARPA, my algorithms are reading license plates at tollbooths around the world, some medical 3D work, etc. I've also been doing lots of 3D, high-dynamic-range, and panoramic photography.

It would be great fun to go on a ship and play with some of your stuff (after getting seasick). I'm curious, as part of your 3D camera calibration, do you correct for camera geometric distortion across the entire field of view? In my panoramic work, I find that if I don't do that, I get into trouble pretty quickly.

I'm still working my way through all the Titanic shows that came out in recent weeks, pumping them through my 2D-to-3D TV converter box. I just love that stuff.

I do have a question that perhaps you guys can answer about Nvidia's 3D glasses. My understanding is that they use rechargeable batteries, which last about 60 hours per charge with the latest version of the  Kit. Do the glasses look like they're completely sealed, meaning that it would be difficult to replace the rechargeable batteries?

We've got a nice little thread going here, which I suspect will end up helping many people. Good job guys!