Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Chamelleon

ATI Mobility FireGL v5700 Performance On Driver For Windows XP and Windows 7.

Hi,

I have Lenowo W500 with ATI Mobility FireGL v5700 and I know it's old notebook but I'm still working on it and really like it.

Few weaks ago I was trying to play some game on it and and I had a game which was working few years ago and now it wasn't game but slideshow from low FPS.

So I made some test and work it why is it like this. I installed latest Lenovo driver for Switchable Graphics for Windows 7 x64 and  checked it on 3DMark06 and I was stunned cause my score was arround 1800 points so I said it can't be possible cause ThinkPad T43P had arround 1300 points and it's like 5 years older.

So I was messing with drivers and I didn't find any way to install proper driver for FireGL v5700 but only HD3650 and here is few funny things. When I'm installing Windows Update driver everything working fine but system is hanging up after reboot but when I'm installing latest Mobility Catalist Driver performance is less than on Switchable Graphics driver and additionaly I have black points in every 3D applications.

After this I had one more idea, I have Windows XP installed on other dist so I booted it and installed latest Lenovo driver for single ATI Mobility FireGL v5700 GPU and after 3DMark06 test I was more stunned than ever, my laptop had not 1800 points but 4078 points in this check. So I repeated this test few more times and scores was the same.

So my conclusion is that Windows 7 driver is really messed up cause it has more than twice worse performance than Windows XP driver.

Is there any way to install proper driver for Windows 7 x64 or Lenovo W500 users are pushed to use Windows XP or really expensive card (for that old times) which has performance on Windows 7 like integrated Intel card?? 

802.11n
christopherlang

Re: ATI Mobility FireGL v5700 Performance On Driver For Windows XP and Windows 7.

[ Edited ]

I am not very familiar with the ATI hardware anymore but found something (http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=895208).

What about these from HP?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12... (you may need to search the HP site)

Cheers

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Chamelleon

Re: ATI Mobility FireGL v5700 Performance On Driver For Windows XP and Windows 7.

[ Edited ]

I just tried this HP drivers but it's desktop drivers and only FirePro v5700 are available and after trying manually install this driver Windows said that driver isn't compatible with this version of windows. Strange cause I picked up driver from C7132097.inf and it should be W7 driver and I downloaded x64 version.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Did you remember to use Power Manager to switch the graphics to discrete in Windows 7? You may have been running it on integrated.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Chamelleon

Ofc, I have turned on discrete graphics in bios and turned off switchable graphics.
802.11n
christopherlang

[ Edited ]

Did making the BIOS changes help for the driver setup? That thread where I saw those drivers is a thread about your card so...I do see about desktop but like I said I am no longer familiar with ATI's hardware or drivers. I hope the set works for you, you may need to do some tweaking as well (but I see you are looking at inf files, so good you know this;-)).

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Chamelleon

The problem is that every try to tweak driver or install it from HD3650 is ending with errors in 3D applications like black shapes (mostly triangles) and really low performance. I talked with AMD support and they said that FireGL v5700 is designed for Windows XP and thats why on Windows 7 is so low performance but they can't make any proper driver for Windows 7 cause it's Lenovo case to deliver drivers. Unofficially guy who talked to me said that I can check Omega drivers but this project is not supporting Windows 7 at all. So I'm afraid only way is to install games on Windows XP and work on Windows 7 but there is a problems after every use Windows XP. After I turn on Windows XP and next I'm trying to turn Windows 7 (both on the same HDD but different partitions) CHKDISK must repairing something is system files and sometimes Windows 7 even not booting and only repair system from Windows 7 DVD can repair it. I hope soon I'll have all parts to make eGPU cause this FireGL v5700 is making me more frustrating every day.
802.11n
christopherlang

[ Edited ]

Hi. Those all sound like good answers and discussion. About what I was going to suggest: look at eGpu setup ;-). Your 5700 is just to old.

Did you install XP after Win 7?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Chamelleon

[ Edited ]

"Did you install XP after Win 7?"
I Think it can't be done this way like it was with Windows 98 and Windows XP, older system can't be installed after newer and specially with Windows 7 cause it makes boot partition and XP couldn't be booted after installing it on Windows 7. So answer is no I installed XP first and I think problem is that all boot files which should be on boot partition are on partition with Windows XP cause it's physical Disc "C" and I don't know how but system files musy be different between this two systems. I need to read about this cause I need Windows XP for some work but it has many of problems. Some of them are to boot XP it can't be any HDD in Ultrabay slot in Dock, AHCI must be turned off (I have Intel Turbo Memory and working on it on Windows 7) no Fingerprint Driver (this from Lenovo can freeze Laptop and lose settings and there is no True Suite for Windows 7) and ofc this problems with system files. I have this laptop from around 3 years but I was using it only occasionally and now when I need it to work I need to spend many hours to make it work with no problems. Thanks for reply. Thread can be closed, only working on Windows XP can work with max performance.

802.11n
christopherlang

[ Edited ]

Yes :-) That is why I asked (oh you could but it would be more work and sort of pointless and actually you would probably need a third party boot manager --This is sort of the crux of this anyway). You may wish to read on Win 7 and dual booting.

Cheers

PS Check your disk errors closely to make sure it is not some other file corruption that you are seeing. You need to resolve your chkdsk errors ;-). To save you some time, XP supports AHCI ;-) Good luck.