Support in other languages: 
eos
Token Ring
eos

Access connnections works some days, is dead other days (W520)

Sometimes when I boot the W520, the access connections tray icong thing is greyed out, sometimes its brightly coloured and shows the current connection.

E.g. at home I ahve a wired connection called home, whith my home printer set as default.

At work I ahve a wired connection with a different printer (and a different IP range).

The days when its greyed out, if I lauch the access connections dialogue (which take an ridiculously long time - what is it doing?), there are no locations profiles, even though I have about 20.

On the days when its working, I see a whole load of location profiles, and It choses the right printer and shows the right location profile name in the tray icon.

Its about 50%/50%, but seems to be getting worse.

sleeping and waking dont affect it - it stays dead or alive.

Occasionally it crashes (as do all the lenovo apps)

Anyone else had this?

Any work arounds?

I have done a lenovo update, and its at version 5.85.

Simon.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: Access connnections works some days, is dead other days (W520)

I'd not use Access Connections if you don't need it.

.NET programs are a bit of a drag.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
eos
Token Ring
eos

How do I get rid of it?

I switch networks serveral times a day, and its handy when it works, but has the HUGE proglem that it cripples me to only being able to use one connection at a time (i.e. cant have one route to wireless, and one route wired - it always disables one or the other).
Guru
ColonelONeill

Windows has a simple network selection system, so if you're never in a place where two networks are in overlapping range, then Windows' system will work fine.

You can uninstall it in Programs and Features. It should be called ThinkVantage Access Connections.
Serial Port
rc87

I'm getting this too.

Sometimes it starts greyed out and sometimes the power manager (battery logo) does the same too.

It's just happening in the last 30 days or so, before I don't remember them doing this...

luckily this doesn't happen often.

________________________________________________________________________________
W520 on win8.1/linux | X220 | and some older stuff 760 onwards :smileyhappy:
Guru
ColonelONeill

Power Manager's taskbar icon is always greyed out for me for a few seconds at boot due to asynchroneous loading. It works normally after in all cases.
Serial Port
rc87

[ Edited ]

ColonelONeill, ironically I started my W520 to read this thread.

The error happened.

While loading windows, it loads desktop, icons and then show a Lenovo message in my language:

"Power Manager stopped working, should i try to find updates to solve this problem?" or something like this.

I have 3.65 PM version, so it says there are no updates.

Then I click OK and it appears the typical W7 error window (like this, but imagine "Thinkpad bla bla Power Manager stopped working, instead of catalyst):

Then I click "check online for a solution and close the program".

It close that window, a progress bar start moving like it's finding something, but the it closes and all ends here.

Power Manager stays grey and no numbers are displayed in the battery icon, only "- - -"

I must to say that when PM crashes at boot, a second before I have similar crash of "Two Finger Scroll from Google Code", telling me a german message.

They always crash together. When TwoFingerScrool crashes while loading, PM crashes too.

I'll try to post the screenshots next time.

EDIT: I wrote a post about PM 3.65 crash at boot here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/W520-PM-3-65-random-crash-at-boot/td-p/648401

________________________________________________________________________________
W520 on win8.1/linux | X220 | and some older stuff 760 onwards :smileyhappy:
Paper Tape
ZviWeiss

I have the same problem -- but only with Access Connections on the W520... On a T-60, I never had this problem...  Any idea why this is so??