Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
JLLBVS

Advice needed

Hi, everybody,

When I decided to buy a 17" screen Thinkpad to replace my T61p, unfortunately, production of Thinkpad W701 had been cancelled.

I found recently on e*** a used ThinkPad W701 "Lenovo refurbished" Model 2541-2TG (NTX2TFR) with both french keyboard and AC-adapter. (i7-920XM 2,0 GHz - 4GB RAM - 320GB HDD - nVidia Quadro FX3800M and Win 7 Pro french  edition).

Before taking a decision, I would like to know if someone has an advice about these so-called "Lenovo refurbished" Thinkpads, and if  they are really 2200 Euros + worth.

Last but not least, I never learned exactly why production of Thinkpads in W700-W701 series was cancelled.

I've been seeking on Lenovo websites and community, but really never found a really satisfying explanation. The W-Thinkpads with 15.6" screens are of course interesting, but I really need a 17" screen and the 2 HDD configuration.

I am really a "Thinkpad addict" (or enthusiast if you prefer), and I would avoid to buy a 17" configuration by another brand. I've been using in the past several T...a and D..l. laptops, but I prefer Thinkpads.

My first TP was an A31p, (also bought in Germany 7 or 8 years ago), on which I exchanged the keyboard, added a second HDD and expanded memory. It was a great computer.

I don't understand why did the W700-701 disappeared ?

Thanks for your opinions, advices and suggestions.

Regards,

Jean-Louis L.
Thinkpad A31p - T42p - T61p - TP Tablet
Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: Advice needed

As far as I heard, the W7xx really disappeared because the market for it was too small, and it was unprofitable to keep around.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

There's no way in hell I would pay 2200 euros for a machine unless I actually see it first, or some really high resolution pictures.  You didn't mention it but is it safe to assume it has the "17.0" (433.0mm) WUXGA (1920x1200) color, anti-glare, RGB LED backlight, 280 nits, 16:10 aspect ratio, 600:1 contrast ratio, 100% color gamut" screen?

Make sure the seller has a return policy or the unit arrives precisely as described in the ebay listing.  You do have buyer protection.

Serial Port
JLLBVS

Hi, everybody,

The seller writes that this W701 is under warranty till 10/2013. Warranty upgrade available.

The seller has a return policy, and, if I pay by Paypal, I have the buyer protection.

Something else to add ?

Regards,

Jean-Louis L.
Thinkpad A31p - T42p - T61p - TP Tablet
802.11n
ZipZap

For that kind of money, why don't you buy a brand-new Dell Precision?

Serial Port
Al_M

Every Lenovo machine comes with a list of part numbers as it is sold, the list is usually printed on the shipping box and the final receipt. I would ask for that list and know every part inside it, reference all the parts to the ThinkPad manuals and make sure the machine has the parts you need. A lot of sellers online do not understand or know the amount of customization that can go into a machine like that, and they tend to just list them in generic terms. Get the parts list and make sure you absolutely want every part in that configuration! I would also check if Lenovo would offer any form of extended warranty on the machine as well, if they do and you decided to buy it, i highly recommend an extended warranty. --Especially for a refurbished machine.