Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
nuspieds
Accepted Solution

Audio and WMP stop working after awhile in Win7

I have a ThinkPad W700 running Win 7 Unltimate x64.  I just upgraded from Vista Ultimate x64 and updated all the Lenovo drivers to Win7.

After a variable amount of time, all of a sudden I will lose all audio and Windows Media Player will launch, but won't play any videos/audios.  The only solution I've found is to do a reboot.

After rebooting, of course the sound works but sometimes it could be a couple of days or even hours before all of a sudden I lose the audio again. 

One of my first solutions was to try and restart the Windows Audio service, but that never works.  It is never able to stop the service.  So I'm forced to reboot and that is a big pain!

Anywone else experience this or have an idea what to try so that I don't have to keep rebooting?

Thanks!

HDMI
markgrif

Re: Audio and WMP stop working after awhile in Win7

I don't know, in this case, if this will help but it has in other situations.

Try this -

1) Open "Device manager"

2) Expand "Sound, video and game controllers"

3) Right click on the Conexant enty

4) Pick "uninstall"

5) In the box that pops up check "Delete the driver software for this device"

6) Select OK

After this is done:

1) Download the latest Conexant driver from the Lenovo site and save it to disk somewhere. Remember to get the correct 32 or 64 bit version, depending on your operating system.

2) Turn off your connection to the internet (this is IMPORTANT). 

3) Boot

4) Go to your download, clck on it and follow the instructions.

5) After installation, you can turn your internet connection back on if you like. I would boot first, even though you are not told to do so (at least I don't think you're told to).

Let me know if this works.

Punch Card
nuspieds

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've certainly done the uninstall and re-install, with the exception of turning off the internet connection.

I'm currently in the midst of peforming another test so I can't try any other possible solutions at the moment.  But if my current test fails and the issue returns, I'll follow your steps next. 

So far so good, though, but it is still early.  I figure if I make it through about 3 days minimum without the problem re-occuring, that would be the indication that all is well.

I'll keep you posted as to how things go.

Punch Card
nuspieds

Ok, my test had failed and so decided to try your suggestion.

I'm not sure why you indicated that turning off the internet connection was important, but what came to mind as a reason was that in all the times that I tried to uninstall and reinstall, at each reboot after the uninstall, the driver would always be automatically reinstalled!

I was perplexed because if I indicated to install (and delete the driver), I figure that it should stay uninstalled.

So I thought that was the reason for the disable internet connection, but even when I did that, Windows still installed some version of the drivers upon the next reboot.

However, what I did do, though, is that I went into the driver details and deleted all the Conexant-related files (I moved them into a temp folder).  Upon the reboot after the uninstall, I noticed that the version of the driver Windows installed was a bit dated.

I then proceeded to install the Conexant driver I downloaded from Lenovo.  I would have preferred that after the reboot Windows didn't automatically install any audio driver whatsoever, but let's see if this helps anyway.

I'll let you know what happens.

Punch Card
nuspieds

Ok, well that didn't work.

I'm about to test using a clean boot by not loading any non-MS services.

HDMI
markgrif

You were absoluely right about why I suggested turning off the internet connection. Win 7 will immediately go out and try to find and install drivers for any new hardware. There is an option somewhere to turn this off, but I haven't really looked for it. Itusually does a pretty good job of finding the right (or acceptable) drivers, but it does miss.

I kow you're tired of trying, but if you repeat the procedure until at the "uninstall" option the box to "delete drivers" is not there, then you might have more success.

I really wish you luck!

Token Ring
Wendel

I would let windows install the generic,and very basic, audio drivers. See if the problem goes away. If not then the driver may not be where the problem resides. After the sound quits, can you play a CD? Given the random nature I would not rule out hardware.

Punch Card
nuspieds

No, when it happens I can't play a CD and WMP doesn't even play video, either.

A warm reboot always solves it, so I'm reluctant to believe it's hardware-related.  And I've never had this issue at all when running Vista.  It's only been since I upgraded to Win7.

It's still early (about a day), but I'm still testing the effects of excluding the non-MS services from startup and so far I still have sound.

Paper Tape
wamp

Hi, I am experiencing a similar problem.

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 without any difficulty. But like the OP, after a while the audio will completely disappear without any indication as to why. This also requires a reboot that restores normal audio playback.

But I also noticed that occasionally when I was running Vista I would experience the same thing. My only idea as to what might be causing all this is that it it is related to an idling issue which may correspond to power settings or something to do with what happens when the user is sent back to the login screen after a certain amount of time.

This is extremely annoying and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Punch Card
nuspieds

Hi wamp,

I have to reiteratet that I never experienced this problem with Vista Ultimate x64, so I know for a fact that my issue is Windows 7-based.

Having said that, though, this is is what I have done so far to troubleshoot the problem:

1. I ran msconfig and I disabled all non-MS services;
  2. I re-enabled only Access Connections.

For the past 3 days, my system has been on, sleeping, screensaving, etc., and the problem has not occurred.  Previously, definitley within 3 days (especially overnight), for sure I would have had the problem.

Today, I'm re-enabling several more services, leaving out only some I suspect and will be waiting to see again.

I think it is important to note that the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor did warn against the ThinkPad utilities.  Furthermore, even on the Lenovo site for the drivers, there's fine print at times about how the W700 and W700ds support Win7 Professional only.

Access Connections I can't do without, so that's why it was first to be enabled for the troubleshooting tests.  All the other ThinkPad utilities, however, will be among the last to be re-enabled.

I definitely know what you mean about being annoyed, especially since rebooting is the only cure.

I'll keep you posted on my troubleshooting test results, but I suggest you also start by disabling all non-MS services as well.