Support in other languages: 
ice
Punch Card
ice

BEEP on s+l+o

This one is weird, and annoying. On my W500, I do the following:

Keep 's' and 'w' keys pressed. Hit the 'p' key. The machine beeps. 's'+'l' then 'o' also reproduces the problem.

There are many more combinations that reproduce the beep. This is really annoying. Is there a fix for this?

Thinkpad W500, WSXGA+, ATI V5700. 4GB DDR3, 160GB@7200 RPM
andyP
Topics: 180
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 632

Re: BEEP on s+l+o

Try this solution and let us know if it helps.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

ice
Punch Card
ice

This will disable all beeps from my system. I dont want to do that. I want my machine BEEP at me if I do something bad. I dont think pressing these 3 keys is something BEEP worthy.

Blue Screen Again
frensel

press 5 and 6, and press the keys laying in the middle of the keyboard, such as 7, r, t, y, u...see what happens
Serial Port
ZPrime

Thinkpads have ALWAYS done this.  Heck, even normal PCs will do this if you're using a PS/2 keyboard.

I believe the W500 has an option in the BIOS to make it not beep.  Poke around and you should find it.  Mine isn't beeping now so I must've turned it off already.  :smileywink:

Why do you need to press all of those keys simultaneously anyway?

ice
Punch Card
ice

ZPrime wrote:

Why do you need to press all of those keys simultaneously anyway?

I knew it was a matter of time before somebody asked that question. (-: . If you must know, I am working on a document where I have to use the word 'should' a lot. There is something about the way I type that causes the appropriate 3 keys to be pressed in the right order causing the beep. And everytime it beeps, I lose my train of thought and start thinking about what caused it to beep.

This thread is telling me that there is no real solution? Does somebody aleast know why it beeps? I would love to know the real reason behind the beep.

Paper Tape
chris03

ice wrote:

This thread is telling me that there is no real solution? Does somebody aleast know why it beeps? I would love to know the real reason behind the beep.

The answer was given!

Solution: In the bios under Config -> Beep and Alarm: Keyboard Beep, set it to disabled

Why it beeps: Keyboard beep occurs when unmanagable key combination are pressed (Quote form bios option)

Can't be any more specefic.

Serial Port
ZPrime

[ Edited ]

As Chris3 said, it beeps because it's an "unmanageable combination."  It's a limitation of PS/2 (which the integrated keyboard is).  Any PS/2 keyboard on any PC should do this.  Some USB keyboards do as well, it depends on how it is designed.

Fix your typing... :smileywink:

More info here:

http://www.sjbaker.org/wiki/index.php?title=Keyboards_Are_Evil

Message Edited by ZPrime on 10-31-2008 12:40 PM
Paper Tape
Chillax

i have a huge problem with this beep also. Until i read this thread i thought it was a beep telling me that i type too fast xD

just wanted to say thanks for the help solving this incredibly annoying feature. 

What's DOS?
wcarrothers

[ Edited ]

Well all I can say is it took me all of 1 day with my new w500 to discover this pain Although right in bios does have a disable beep on unmanagiable key combinations.  So problem solved......

My last machine was a Dell and I loved it for 3 years before it started acting up.  Had a T42 with the 1900x1900 screen before that which I really thought I liked (been a long time) so I figured what the heck.  How could I go wrong with a fully tricked out w500 for only ~1300 bucks (after discount +20more %.  Easily 500+ dollars less then any dell I could configure.

But discovering some anoying things.

FN key and CTL key not in "correct" spots.  Esc key not in same row as F keys.  And the arrow keys could be larger (and I could do with out the forward backword keys..  Hopefully I will adapt.  Either way it's a stopmpin fast machine

b.

Message Edited by wcarrothers on 01-30-2009 09:40 AM