Support in other languages: 
Community Moderator
richk

Re: Bios Update Fail - Under Warranty but No Support

If your machine cannot start at all after a failed update, you cannot rewrite the BIOS. There is no bootblock (like desktops). I won't get into security measures, but part of the BIOS is related to the TPM chip and is unique to your particular machine. Assuming you are under warranty, call tech support again. Tell them you were following normal procedures. If the guy gives you a hard time, ask to speak to a supervisor.
Token Ring
mjdl

[ Edited ]

Taking out the battery will not help with a failed BIOS update, I think.

Another reason I suggested making a bootable BIOS update CD is that if the machine will boot from the CD into the BIOS update program, then at least you know the machine is still capable of booting, but perhaps not from the harddisk. Remember to press F12 as soon as the ThinkPad logo shows on the screen after switching on the power: this should show the menu of devices to boot from: select your CD.

Or is the machine BIOS asking for some kind of password when you power-on the machine, or want to enter the BIOS with F1? In that case, there will be a prompt at the upper left-hand corner of the screen (and the rest of the screen will be blank). If you enter too many wrong passwords, the BIOS's anti-theft system may have been engaged: this means that the machine will be locked--refuse to boot--for variable lengths of time, from a few minutes to several hours or days, depending on how many wrong attempts you make. Eventually the anti-theft measures will reset, and you can type the correct password to boot the machine or access the BIOS, if that's the problem. (Note to forum moderators: I once locked myself out of my machine this way--I had written down the wrong power-on password in my records!--so I am merely describing my experience, not trying to spread FUD--the Lenovo warranty support service people were understandably very dubious about my plea for help and never really explained the anti-theft lock-out mechanisms to me, so I'm guessing here about the real cause.)

Update: Someone else gave another part of the answer while I was writing this, and probably the better one: the "Trusted Platform Module" (TPM) also is involved in the booting process and might veto booting from a corrupted BIOS. I really don't know anything about that.

Paper Tape
Oldskool

I mean powered up.... after pushing the power button and leaving for 20 mins it starts up. 

I just went out and brought a new laptop as I can't stand poor support and service from a so called leading brand. Last correspondence with their complaints team resulted in Lenovo advising they will no longer service my correspondence as I was wrong to update my BIOS using the automatic updater.... 

I will try and get this installed again with the old Bios and if it works sell it. 

Blue Screen Again
Sjaanbanaan

This can't be possible: if you are using original Lenovo bios and the flash goes wrong you have no warranty??????????

You've got to be kidding(!!)

I'll check the notes, because if this is the case I will be returning my brand new machine tomorrow and have my money refunded. I refuse to do business with a company that has this as its terms.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 407
Kudos: 1,278
Solutions: 274

[ Edited ]

All,

We do not have a policy that if you have a problem while updating your BIOS that you have voided your warranty.   It may be that some technician mis-understood or mispoke.  We rely on BIOS updates as a normal course of business to delivery updates and fixes to customers.

That said, please make sure you are applying the correct file for your system.  If you are unsure, please ask for help.

ThinkVantage System Update can be another good tool to use as it will find and apply the correct version for you.

It is always a good practice to cold boot your system before flashing the BIOS .

If anyone needs help with support following flashing an official, approved BIOS downloaded from our support site, please let me know  - you can send me a private message with details.

I'm marking this as the solution as an official answer.  

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Blue Screen Again
Sjaanbanaan

[ Edited ]

I appreciate that reply Mark. From earlier readings I already thought you are very ok, and your above post confirms that to me.

As a matter of wasting my time I will still read the terms that Lenovo presents with a bios upgrade. If, for some vague reason, in it it would say that indeed applying an official Lenovo bios software for the appropriate machine breaks any warranty then Lenovo has no alternative but to change these terms immediately. After all, Lenovo bought a very good product from IBM and for sure paid big bucks of financial goodwill to get it, so it would be stupid to ruin its investment by trying to use B-brand strategies.

(Yes, I am former 'Big Blue' myself, I can recall the days when I got my very first TP when it was still owned by IBM. As my collegues said 'you can throw it on the floor and jump on it' and so I did - and wow, indeed, it still worked liked nothing happened. Lenovo would be completely and utterly foolish if it would ruin that reputation by cheap tactics. After all, TP is almost on the same level as Pioneer Kuro. Well, as I have a Kuro I can confirm it is not on the same level, but hey, you need to have a target, right? - :smileyvery-happy:).

Paper Tape
Oldskool

I was amazed when I was directed to the statement of limited warranty  - "What this Warranty Does no Cover"... although I could not find any mention on it about Bios...

Apparantly I was suppose to understand from these warranty terms and interpret them as the policy that "Lenovo will not repair the machine under warranty if a customer has performed the BISO update and the machine fails. This is because there is a high probability that the cusotmer failed to follow the instructions accurately, turned the machine of prematurely, did not wait until the BIOS was fully loaded, did not plug the machine in before performing the BIOS etc..... "

All I did was follow the instructions from the automatic updater.

This was from your Customer complaints escalations team in the UK after I had been through technical support and exhausted this. I even managed to get hold of the UK Lenovo Relationship Manager who works for IBM - who was also of no help. PM me your contacts please and I will be more than happy to email you all my correspondence on all of this.

Blue Screen Again
rl57

[ Edited ]

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

All,

We do not have a policy that if you have a problem while updating your BIOS that you have voided your warranty.   It may be that some technician mis-understood or mispoke.  We rely on BIOS updates as a normal course of business to delivery updates and fixes to customers.

That said, please make sure you are applying the correct file for your system.  If you are unsure, please ask for help.

ThinkVantage System Update can be another good tool to use as it will find and apply the correct version for you.

It is always a good practice to cold boot your system before flashing the BIOS .

If anyone needs help with support following flashing an official, approved BIOS downloaded from our support site, please let me know  - you can send me a private message with details.

I'm marking this as the solution as an official answer.  

Best regards,

Mark

Mark,

I too have been told that using the Lenovo update utility to flash the BIOS (which killed our machine) has voided the warranty.

If you search using the words ('Lenovo' 'BIOS' 'Warranty'), you will find lots of similar posts about the BIOS update warranty issue.

I have been advised by the support rep to e-mail them and request that the case is raised to their supervisor. 

I have done so, and forwarded the link to this post to the support  UK IBM support team (frontoffice@uk.ibm.com

Blue Screen Again
rl57

Quick update...

After sending the e-mail requesting that the support case be raised to the supervisor, AND including the link to this post, I am pleased to say that the "Lenovo have honoured the repair and will attend onsite tomorrow between 9am-6pm UK".

I'll update the post once fixed :smileywink:

Blue Screen Again
rl57

As expected - engineer replaced the motherboard and we're go again.