Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: Boot time and Power Manager

I can almost match those startup speeds on my HDD. :smileytongue:

If you want to mess with services, remember to uninstall RapidBoot first; it waits synchroneously for certain services and will stall the boot if you set those services to manual or delayed.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Punch Card
ldelossa

Haha very nice do you have a 7200rpm or 10-15000 rpm HDD?

I uninstalled  Rapid boost already. I really don't like messing with services too much but do you have any suggestions on which services to play around with??

What are some of the things you've done to get your boot time on HHD that quick?? 

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

ldelossa wrote:

Yes 23 seconds from boot into login then about 12 seconds for startup.

Could you clarify a couple of things?  Is the W520 you have joined to an Active Directory forest and domain?  If not, are you using a local password protected account?

In the first 23 seconds, is this from a complete powered off machine to the point where you need to supply a password?

Is the 12 seconds from the time you supply a password to the desktop with an active wifi or wired network?

How many seconds does your machine take from the time you press the power button to the time the Lenovo boot logo disappears?

Thanks,

Thor

Guru
ColonelONeill

ldelossa wrote:

Haha very nice do you have a 7200rpm or 10-15000 rpm HDD?

I uninstalled  Rapid boost already. I really don't like messing with services too much but do you have any suggestions on which services to play around with??

What are some of the things you've done to get your boot time on HHD that quick?? 

7200RPM drive, with read caching done from an 8GB SD card and 2GB of system RAM.

Most of what I did was reorganizing the files to load faster using a defragger. It's not so much the defragmenting, but the file placement. Reorganizing service startup got a few extra seconds too.

I had it down to 16 seconds once, but installing and uninstalling a boatload of random things made it worse over time, especially after messing with the NVIDIA drivers.

Punch Card
ldelossa

To ThorsHammer:

I'm not on a domain or workgroup just my lonesome.

The first 23 seconds are from complete power off with no battery

The next 12 seconds is from password login to all startup programs done and running "Bootpathtime" in the event logger

The machine most only take a few seconds to show the lenovo sign

- no problem I'm glad to share!

To ColonelONeill

Is the read chacing by sd a feature your talking about ReadyBoost? I've hurd of this and if so is it applicable or useful for ssd? I have a few SD cards laying around doing nothing, would love to put them to good use! If it's not what method are you speaking of and is it useful for SD's?

What defragment program are you reffering too? And again I know that scheduled defragments on an SSD is not good, however would I benefit from a one time "orgnizational" run like you speak of? When you speak of reorganizing service startups do you mean just analysing which ones are necessary and disabling ones that are not ? or is this another function of the defragment?

16 seconds! very impressive!  

Guru
ColonelONeill

Defragmenting is really for platter drives only; SSDs will probably see no noticeable improvements from reoganization.

I'm using a third-party program called eBoostr. ReadyBoost didn't cut it due to the lack of configurability and its quirky behavior. It's probably not much help to an SSD as my SD card benches around 15MB/s random 4K read. It won't really be necessary unless you saturate the SSD's capabilities often.

I disabled a bunch of services, and set a few to manual or delayed. Usually, third-party programs that install a service can be delayed. This is independent of defragmenting.
Punch Card
ldelossa

Interesting, I would like to find out which services you have disabled, I had a few bad experiences lately while testing and decided just not to mess wtih them. If you have the time I'd be very interested to see which one you have disabled and enabled. Is it possible for you to ouput a service query into a .txt and send it my way?

Guru
ColonelONeill

Here you go:
http://i.imgur.com/l2L19.png

Make sure to have a backup of your registry in place before you start; my configuration and needs are probably not the optimum for your system, so only use this as a reference.
Punch Card
ldelossa

Thanks a lot, this maybe a kind of elementary question but is it best practices to back up registry when editing services? I figured worse comes to worse you can just restart the service, never had a bsod from playing with the services. Just to better my knowledge. 

Guru
ColonelONeill

It's just an easier way to back up all of the changes made to Services at once, and be able to revert it all at once. You could always screencap the state of the services before you start making changes though.