Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
MortenSorensen

Bugs invaded my W700ds screen

I posted a question in Lenovo’s Facebook group and was asked to post it here!

Many of you might have heard about small bugs finding their way into TFT screens it happens every summer and I thought it only was a problem on cheap TFT´s, until it happened to my ThinkPad W700ds.

The bugs are called Thrips but also go by: thunderflies, thunderbugs, storm flies, thunderblights and corn lice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrips) they are very small and are attracted to light and heat and when they find their way inside an LCD panel (between the LCD screen and the backlight diffuser) they die and are stuck in place, I have three in my W700 screen now!

They only invaded my ThinkPad W700ds even though I have 3 ThinkVision Monitors (4421-HB2) right beside it!

Here is the video I posted on Facebook of one of them

Have anyone else had any of their screens invaded?

What is Lenovo’s stance on this is the panel wrongly assembled?

Blue Screen Again
Ingvarr

Re: Bugs invaded my W700ds screen

This was discussed before - please go to this thread http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Bugs-In-Screen/td-p/260309

Nothing is "wrong" with assembly of Lenovo panel. Unless this is ruggerized notebook, the screen is never fully hermetically sealed - they are not made with "bug prevention measures" in mind.

Token Ring
don820

They might not be hermetically sealed, but they also aren't even "basically sealed".  I've already had the trip on my W510 replaced once because of huge gaps (1mm-ish) around the perimiter that I have *never* seen on any other laptop.  Already the replacement trim is starting to warp a bit and I can see light around the entire permiter of the screen.

So, although one might claim that "no screen is fully sealed", these latest Lenovos seem to be open invitations to any and all bugs in the neighbourhood.

Blue Screen Again
Ingvarr

This sounds like issue with a lid or lid trim, not the screen panel itself (post a photo - it will help).

I don't have any visible gaps in lid of my W701, however, the way it usually happens - bug lands on the outer screen surface (attracted by light), travels under the bezel (there will be always small gap there, 1mm or not - does not matter), and then it can go inside a panel in the gap the is along the panel edge.

Blue Screen Again
MortenSorensen

Seeing that no other Lenovo-IBM laptops and Lenovo monitors in our company have had this happen and that I suddenly have 3 Thrips in mine is beyond BAD luck if indeed all Lenovo panels are made the same way!

If I was informed that the W700 was prone to this problem, I would NEVER have bought it or any other model that have this flaw! Would you now that you have seen two reported cases in this forum?

Did anyone else have Thrips come into their office and crawl into their screens?

I would like Lenovo to look at their design and see if it could be fixed as they pride themselves on protecting the customer with their design!

Blue Screen Again
Ingvarr

[ Edited ]

Why you think that this is Lenovo-specific problem is beyond me. All consumer-grade laptops and monitors are very vulnerable to them, not just Lenovo.

I live in the thunderflies-danger area and have friend with different brand laptop being ruined by them die inside a screen.

I just had one crawl inside my Dell monitor at work 3 weeks ago, luckily it got away.

What do you expect them to do? They can not hermetically seal everything, and as long as smallest gap exists, thrips can get in.

Or, to be more precise, hermetically sealed laptops do exist. These are "ruggerised" (ie dust-proof) laptops and look of how much more expensive they are because of added protection & complexity it means.

Token Ring
don820

@ingvarr Welcome to the forums.  

Here's the link to my bezel gaps: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/w510-Screen-Separation/m-p/251213  -> There's a photo there.  I've owned dozens of laptops in my life, and never have I seen one where the screen is open like that.  Even for thinkpads, this is unique to a few models -- and really lousy design. 

If you search this forum, you'll find lots of cases of bugs.

Blue Screen Again
Ingvarr

I understand the problem with the bezel, I would not disagree that this is just a quality fault, and unacceptable one.

However you are wrong in respect that it somehow makes your laptop "significantly vulnerable to bugs". Thunderflies mostly travel over the lit display surface or warm powerwires, even on perfectly fine laptop it will not pose to them any obstacle to get in.

If you google, you will find a even lot more cases of bugs, irrespectively of display or laptop brand.

Blue Screen Again
MortenSorensen

I found this thread where it looks like there are big gaps on the back:

It also looks like sparta.rising found a fix:
The laptop you have is that the only lenovo screen you have? if not do the other lenovo screens have Thrips inside them too?