Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
koson

Calibrating W520 with external instrument?

Hello,

I'm a bit of a ThinkPad newbie, so please bear with me if the answers to my questions are obvious.

I just purchased a W520, have installed additional RAM and an mSATA disk, and am loving it. I did not purchase the built-in calibrator because I will be using it with an external IPS monitor and already have a calibration instrument for that I've been using--the XRite  i1. I use Argyll Color Management  software for calibration and profiling of the external monitor on my old machine, and Argyll has installed perfectly on my new W520, The W520 found the appropriate drivers for the i1, and it recognizes it successfully.

Here's where I'm stuck. When I calibrate the external monitor, I use its on-screen display and the menu buttons on the monitor to set brightness, contrast, and color temperature (which I do by adjusting the levels of R, G, and B.) But I can't seem to locate any but the brightness controls for the W520 screen. So,

1. How do I adjust the screen contrast?

2. How do I adjust the levels of R, G, and B, or, if that's not possible, how do I adjust the color temperature to approximate 6500 degrees?

I'm sure there's a simple answer, but I searched the user guide and the forum and came up empty. Thanks for any help.

SCSI Port
nitrap

Re: Calibrating W520 with external instrument?

1. How do I adjust the screen contrast?

2. How do I adjust the levels of R, G, and B, or, if that's not possible, how do I adjust the color temperature to approximate 6500 degrees?

Pretty much out of my league regarding calibration, but brightness can be adjusted by using the Fn-Home and Fn-End keys.  All the settings (including brightness, not sure about warmth) can be adjusted using the NVidia Control Panel, accessed through Control Panel or by right-clicking on desktop and selecting Nvidia Control Panel.

W520 | FHD | i7-2720QM | 8GB RAM | nVidia Quadro 1000M | Intel 510 120GB SSD | Seagate 7200rpm 500GB HDD
T510 | 1366x768 | i7-M620@2.67Ghz | 8GB RAM | nVidia NVS 3100M | Seagate 7200rpm 500GB HDD
T61p | 1920x1200 | T7800@2.6Ghz | 4gb RAM | nVidia Quadro FX 570M | Hitachi 320GB HDD | (broken frame, now a file server)
Fanfold Paper
koson

@nitrap - Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't look at the NVidia tools because I was hoping to calibrate the integrated graphics--but maybe it will wind up in the same place, so I'll check them out.

My head starts to hurt when I think about how the calibration will be handled when some windows use integrated graphics and some use the Quadro...

Fanfold Paper
koson

A follow-on note about the X-Rite i1 and Argyll with the FHD screen and Optimus...

I found the Intel tool that will adjust R, G, and B channels separately (acutally, they'll adjust brightness, contrast, and saturation for each channel). Argyll was a little funky using this tool--it didn't update its adjustment recommendations--but I was able to adjust the black and white points and get the color temp pretty close to 6500.

Then I had Argyll create a profile, and the resulting deltaE was about 0.5 average and 1.5 max--an excellent, excellent score. Installed the profile and enabled color managed browsing in Firefox and visited a profile test page with very good results.

I suspect this is all with the Intel integrated graphics. I may have to repeat this with the Quadra 1000. Like I said, I'm a little confused about how switchable graphics interact with screen profiles. Guess there is more exploration to do...

Guru
ColonelONeill

The Intel control panel likes to reset your color profile every time your computer boots or resumes from sleep.

The only fix I know of is to disable all of the Intel Control Panels from MSCONFIG's startup tab. Not sure if they've implemented a fix for it, but I haven't seen the harm of running without those anyway.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase