Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
bobmon

Can I connect my w700 directly to an HDMI television via the DisplayPort?

Hello, anyone... I have an HDMI v1.3 cable and an HDMI-DisplayPort adapter (both from monoprice.com).  I've gone through the Presentation Manager to set up a scheme, but it doesn't think the t.v. is connected.

The tv (Sharp hdtv) handles HDMI from the satellite receiver okay, so I don't think it's the tv's fault.  Should this work?  Do I need to do something else?  Do I have to use a minidock?  What's my problem????

All the above was on WinVista x64.  I'd also like to connect using Linux (Ubuntu 8.10).  Is this any more or less possible?

Thanks for any input.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,340

Re: Can I connect my w700 directly to an HDMI television via the DisplayPort?

it is possible, but the displayport on the W700 doesn't handle the sound stream, so all you will get is the video stream. Try using the display property by right clicking on the desktop, and see whether the computer can detect the external display. 
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
bobmon

Thanks for your reply... I don't care about audio at this point, I'ld be pleased if I could get video.

I don't get a "display" property when I right-click the desktop (this is 64-bit Vista), but I do get an NVidia control panel.  It doesn't know there's anything connectedany more than Presentation Manager does.

I'm connecting an hdtv using this HDMI cable and this DisplayPort-HDMI adapter, both from monoprice.com.  Am I right in guessing that the computer is checking for an active/powered-up device on the DisplayPort?  If so, why isn't it seeing one?

(p.s. Links to the products mentioned seem to be blocked by the forum. They're Product IDs 2529 and 4826, if anyone cares.)

SCSI Port
Voodoo

The answer should be yes according to some posts I've read, but if I understand correctly:

- DisplayPort and HDMI use different signals and are not electrically compatible.  To use an adapter, you must tell the W700 to output HDMI signals on the DisplayPort.  I don't know where this setting is, if it exists.  The cable/adapter does nothing but make the connection.

In my case I am using a DVI-HDMI adapter.   DVI is electrically backwards-compatible with HDMI.

I don't know yet what the advantage is of the DisplayPort conector, sorry I can't be of more help.

Retired Guru
fmyhr

Hi bobmon,

I think the way to go is to use your W700's DVI port and a DVI-HDMI adapter cable, as Voodoo says above.

As I recently discovered in this thread (and again as Voodoo says above) the W700's DisplayPort is not a "Dual-Mode source," and does not support DVI / HDMI over DisplayPort.

Best regards,

Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy:
Blue Screen Again
bobmon

thanks Voodoo and fmhyr for the feedback.  I'll get a DVI adapter and try that...

(So, what good is the DisplayPort output, then?  Does it actually do anything for anybody?)

SCSI Port
Voodoo

You're welcome..

I'm starting to wonder the same thing.. what good is the DisplayPort, when you can use the DVI->HDMI.

Note: I tried a DVI->HDMI adapter and tried to play a BluRay disc.  WinDVD then complained that my 'video environment' wasn't supported.  I changed screen settings to blank the W700 LCD and only have the external monitor active, and it then worked.  I'm guessing it's copy protection stuff.. pain in the @....