Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
mikeynavy1

Can't connect Lenovo W510 to Lexmark Prevail Pro 705 Wireless Printer

I am having a connectivity issue with my Lenovo W510 and a brand new wireless printer (Lexmark Prevail Pro 705).  The printer is hooked up wirelessly to a Linksys WRT320N router.  I have a desktop also hooked up, wired, to the router.  My laptop will see the desktop on the network and vice versa.  The desktop sees the printer, and can print just fine.  This laptop won't see the printer on the network.  It works when hooked up via USB but I've tried to connect via wireless for hours no with no luck.  Lexmark technical support has failed, and Linksys says that since everything else is working, including Internet on the Lenovo, that it is out of their control.  I think there is some setting on the Lenovo that is the issue.  Can someone please comment on what else I should try to get the laptop to find the printer on wireless?

Token Ring
Wendel

Re: Can't connect Lenovo W510 to Lexmark Prevail Pro 705 Wireless Printer

Have you upgraded the printer firmware? Are you trying to connect to the printer via TCP/IP or by using the Lexmark printer driver?

Fanfold Paper
mikeynavy1

Yes, the firmware was upgraded immediately, and was completed using my desktop computer (wired to the router but conducted wirelessly).  I believe the Lexmark tech tried to have me connect using both methods.  When installing the printer driver it looks to install either a network or USB driver depending on what you select.  After two more hours of troubleshooting we were able to get it to print a test page using an ad hoc network between the laptop and the printer.  Therefore, the tech said it is a Lenovo problem or setting that is preventing me from using my router and home network to print.  I don't quite understand.  I'm ready to exchange the Lexmark for a Canon if it won't have this problem, as I'm not going to disconnect from the Internet and connect to an ad hoc network just to print everytime.  I just want to be able to see my printer on the same network I access the Internet with, as it works just fine with my desktop machine.  I have a feeling Lenovo tech support won't have a clue either.  

Token Ring
Wendel

See if these instructions help:

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4126

Here's another:

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=200432

As you can see, you need to know the IP address of the printer. The steps on both articles should get you there. Possibly your last attempt at tcp/ip wasn't like this one.