Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
mlaca

DON'T DO! -s for the W510

I would like to collect some critical instances W510 users should avoid to keep away pain and trouble from our W510 notebook. So, here's the first you should NEVER EVER do with/to your W510:

- NEVER flash BIOS under Windows! NEVER EVER! You have a pretty good chance bricking your mainboard by flashing using the windows executable. Take your time, read the forums first, if the desired BIOS version is safe, THEN download the official BIOS ISO file from Lenovo, burn it to a CD and flash using that bootable disk. Most bricked mainboards come from flashing BIOS under 64-bit Windows, but that can happen with ANY version of Windows, so please do yourself a favour and use a bootable BIOS flash-version! I have waited 8 weeks to get a working W510 again (my system has now the fourth mainboard that finally seems to function - but that is a long story).

Blue Screen Again
mlaca

Re: DON'T DO! -s for the W510

if anybody has collected some more to take care of, please do post!

Serial Port
PSUpete

I have updated BIOS using ThinkVantage System Update.  Though it "worked," I was disappointed in the popup windows that were behind visible windows or which were minimized.  Also some of the prompts (I think radio buttons to proceed with either a MODEL update or ??? were strangely inappropriate).

/Pete

Punch Card
dimm0k

Wish I would have taken this into account... but since the last BIOS flashed fine via the ThnkVantage software I figured I was in the clear... update seemingly installed without any problems this time around in Windows 7, however upon reboot my system was dead =(  Now I'm waiting for my local service provider to order a new mainboard!  FSCK!

Token Ring
shidevil

When i was doing the update. My computer reboot many times.. before going into windows it reboot itself 3-5 times before entering.

Perspective of life - http://www.marcnshawn.com
Token Ring
mbwj65

[ Edited ]

I updated my BIOS from Windows without any issues.  I'm running Windows 7 64bit on a W-510.  I read the directions ahead of time and just followed them exactly.  Dowloaded and saved the exe file.  Ran it.  Replied to a couple of messages.  Then re-booted. 

After I re-booted and made sure everything came up ok in Windows... I re-booted and went into the BIOS just to check the settings.  It kept my settings.

A couple of things in the instructions... make sure you are using a profile with administrative privileges on the target machine, make sure you are on AC power and that it's firmly connected, make sure you have a charged battery pack installed.  If doing remote deployment or unattended install turn off the power-on password.

Oh and DO NOT power off the computer until the process is COMPLETE.  It says in the instructions that if you do this the system board may have to be replaced.

Blue Screen Again
mlaca

this is exactly what I have done too. the mobo died though. and lot of other people had the same happening to their machines. hard luck, I guess.

Token Ring
shidevil

Many have this bios problem... luckily mine is okay now. Running BIOS 1.24. Perfectly. :smileyhappy:

Ctrl-Alt-Del
wokoba

Never ever connect a Logitech USB-Receiver (wireless Mouse)  to one of the two USB3-Ports (blue, on left side).

After switching on the W510 won't boot anymore and will heat up extremely. On the screen appears only the BIOS start page. After removing the Logitech USB-Receiver from the USB3-Port and plugging it into the USB2-Port at the backside everything works fine. I had this experience already on the very first day with this Laptop and found out  later in some forum that other users made the same experience.

Token Ring
shidevil

This problem should be solved by updating the new usb 3.0 controller. :smileyhappy: