Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Wombat2

Re: Displayport to HDMI with audio

wheadley wrote:

Yes, use a stereo male 1/8"  mini-pin to dual male RCA (R/L channels) adapter. You will of course not get digital multi-channel audio but instead get low quality analog stereo (2 channel). That's why this is an issue-- many modern films and TV shows use multi-channel digital audio 5.1, 7.1, Dolby, DTS, etc., and have for years.

If you don't care about the quality go with the above solution and you'll likely be happy with it.

Can the computer output stereo audio through a USB port at line level? In other words, can the computer output sound at the same constant level as a DVD player does?  If so, I could at least get a signal I could route through a stereo receiver. The signal would still be analog but at least  then I could use  the receiver's Dolby Pro-Logic circuits to listen in surround sound.

What I need is a USB to stereo RCA cable and a way to get the computer to output line level audio. I'm sure the cable exists,but I just don't know if I need special software.

Punch Card
xpnet

[ Edited ]

There are a couple USB Devices in a quick search if you don't want to use the RCA from your head phone out with a adapter cable.

http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Sound.html

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit.html

Still very interested in seeing if anyone has another computer with the DisplayPort option running that outputs audio and video.

Anyone?

Oh and if it is a LCD TV some of them let you select a different audio source in the mneu settings.

Message Edited by xpnet on 11-26-2008 01:10 PM
Punch Card
wheadley

Analog audio to USB out might work- but it is craptastic low-quality stereo and will never output multi-channel digital audio.

I'm surprised at how willing people are to purchase notebooks that will output 1080p HD video but don't seem to care about the mult--channel digital audio part.

So I say again, if you do not care that the audio portion of your 7.1 channel HD film or TV program sounds aweful (or simply can't tell the difference between Dolby Digital/DTS and the analog audio that comes off a $10 sound card), this is a non-issue for you. If high-quality digital audio is not your thing then you have no issue.

This issue is for people that believed when they purchased a machine that included a BluRay drive and that has as its only native digital audio output a DisplayPort adapter that IS SUPPOSED TO PASS-THROUGH multi-channel digital audio- they ought to get what they were paying for AND actually care that when they connect their fancy HD notebook to an LCD or Plasma TV they will be able to enjoy BOTH HD video at 1080p AND full quality digital audio output instead of crap-quality (and if you know audio than you know this is indeed crap-quality) sound.

If you bought your next car with a multichannel digital sound system but later after listening to it and wondering why it sounded terrible, you found out the car company just hooked up the two crappiest speakers in the car to the analog outputs of your deck, and skipped hooking up the subwoofer and all the other speakers to save $10 or whatever, I doubt you would feel like you got what you paid for and be trying to think up all the good reasons why you should just live with it.

This is why so many consumers in the USA get chumped-- they make up excuses for the folks that chump them. Kind of sad, but read through any consumer electronics forum and you will find lots of folks profusly apologizing for the companies that ripped them off by either omitting key information that would have more fairly informed their purchase (you know, like crippling the digital audio output of a DisplayPort adapter on a machine with BluRay or 1080p video), or by flat-out misstating the real capabilities of their product.

So for those that DO NOT CARE or CAN NOT PERCEIVE the qualitative difference between multi-channel digital audio and low-quality analog stereo coming off a USB port or out of a headphone jack, this issue is really of no importance to you. This issue is important to those of us that believe that when they buy a $5000+ notebook and spend $450 extra for a BluRay drive that they will be able to enjoy more than just the excellent picture quality of their source material, but also the excellent audio quality.

And as always, Lenovo, when confronted with an inconvienient truth, like Elvis, seems to have left the building.

Punch Card
xpnet

Until some one finds a adapter that does the correct converstion for the DisplayPort for the audio, How would something like this work? It says it supports HD Audio for a Home Theater using USB.

http://www.provantage.com/voyetra-turtle-beach-systems-tbs-1120-01~7VOYE015.htm

After searching Google all night, I only found one DisplayPort adapter that says it supports Audio from Walmart. All the others I seen only say it supports video output but this one is marked as HDMI-A where all other adapters are just HDMI.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10628637

Has anyone tried this one yet?

Punch Card
Wombat2

[ Edited ]

wheadley wrote:

Analog audio to USB out might work- but it is craptastic low-quality stereo and will never output multi-channel digital audio.

I'm surprised at how willing people are to purchase notebooks that will output 1080p HD video but don't seem to care about the mult--channel digital audio part.

So I say again, if you do not care that the audio portion of your 7.1 channel HD film or TV program sounds aweful (or simply can't tell the difference between Dolby Digital/DTS and the analog audio that comes off a $10 sound card), this is a non-issue for you. If high-quality digital audio is not your thing then you have no issue.

This issue is for people that believed when they purchased a machine that included a BluRay drive and that has as its only native digital audio output a DisplayPort adapter that IS SUPPOSED TO PASS-THROUGH multi-channel digital audio- they ought to get what they were paying for AND actually care that when they connect their fancy HD notebook to an LCD or Plasma TV they will be able to enjoy BOTH HD video at 1080p AND full quality digital audio output instead of crap-quality (and if you know audio than you know this is indeed crap-quality) sound.

If you bought your next car with a multichannel digital sound system but later after listening to it and wondering why it sounded terrible, you found out the car company just hooked up the two crappiest speakers in the car to the analog outputs of your deck, and skipped hooking up the subwoofer and all the other speakers to save $10 or whatever, I doubt you would feel like you got what you paid for and be trying to think up all the good reasons why you should just live with it.

This is why so many consumers in the USA get chumped-- they make up excuses for the folks that chump them. Kind of sad, but read through any consumer electronics forum and you will find lots of folks profusly apologizing for the companies that ripped them off by either omitting key information that would have more fairly informed their purchase (you know, like crippling the digital audio output of a DisplayPort adapter on a machine with BluRay or 1080p video), or by flat-out misstating the real capabilities of their product.

So for those that DO NOT CARE or CAN NOT PERCEIVE the qualitative difference between multi-channel digital audio and low-quality analog stereo coming off a USB port or out of a headphone jack, this issue is really of no importance to you. This issue is important to those of us that believe that when they buy a $5000+ notebook and spend $450 extra for a BluRay drive that they will be able to enjoy more than just the excellent picture quality of their source material, but also the excellent audio quality.

And as always, Lenovo, when confronted with an inconvienient truth, like Elvis, seems to have left the building.

From what I have read so far, there is either no sound being output from the Displayport or the audio is being blocked by the Displayport to HDMI adapter. My questions regarding different audio options were not meant as an alternative to your dilema. I need to connect my W500 to my LCD tv so other people can see and hear what I'm doing while on the computer. This is why I'm looking for an alternative to the Displayport for the audio. You see, I did not get the Blu-ray option with my W500. Yet, I can understand your frustration, I too would much rather listen to digital audio than analog.

Message Edited by Wombat2 on 11-28-2008 02:52 PM
Punch Card
Wombat2

xpnet wrote:
After searching Google all night, I only found one DisplayPort adapter that says it supports Audio from Walmart. All the others I seen only say it supports video output but this one is marked as HDMI-A where all other adapters are just HDMI.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10628637

Has anyone tried this one yet?

I just bought this adapter online. I should get it by Monday. If you're willing to wait a few days, I'll have an answer. 

Punch Card
wheadley

I am definitely interested in what you discover with this adapter, but we are still missing one critical piece of information from Lenovo-- have they allowed digital audio to pass-through their displayport adapters or have they crippled the function (obstensively to appease the evermore-paranoid screeching from the recording industry)?

If you test the adapter without having a control variable-- ie., knowing that the Lenovo does indeed pass-through digital audio, how will you know whether the adapter really works or not?

Punch Card
xpnet

I'm more interested in how the DisplayPort works, Does it have a driver the emulates the digital signal into packets that is decoded by the adapter or is it more a physical connect that needs to be attached to the displayport? I see it can emulate communication to the display, usb ports, multi-monitors daisy chained together...  alot of promising options but what is supported and what is conceptual.. Alot of questions.

Agotthelf
Topics: 145
Kudos: 262
Solutions: 183

Hello,

you might also refer to this wikipedia site.

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Punch Card
wheadley

I have read the entire spec on the wiki some time ago. DisplayPort is SUPPOSED to transfer audio and video-- that's the whole point of it. It's packet-based and cheaper to implement than HDMI, supports higher resolutions, Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, etc., has no license fees, and was designed to be compatible with HDMI & HDCP.

Any manfacturer making a product that uses DisplayPort has an obligation to inform prospective purchasers if they have implemented the technology in some non-standard (as IT IS a standard) way that might impact their product's ability to perform normaly supported functions. When one outputs HD video programming on a prodcut made in the year 2008 they expect the audio portion the program to accompany the video.

And what's up with crippling the new Lenovo notebooks ability to record or pass-through digital audio internally like every PC has been able to do since the Stone Age? Why do that at all? Hint: the paranoid demands of media corportions that you be denied the right to make copies of your own digital media drive these decisions, not technology or cost. Pretty pathetic IMO.