Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
wheadley

Re: Displayport to HDMI with audio'm o

Headphone jack audio output will of course work-- and it will be 2 channel stereo not multichannel digital audio, AND it will sound terrible. This isn't an option for high-end users anymore than selling us a Porsche and then telling us the only tires we can put on it are from a bicycle so even though you bought a fast car you will never be able to drive it fast.

Lenovo failed to make a critical limitation of the W Series notebooks plain to those that bought it and those that spent extra for a Bluray drive option SHOULD HAVE BEEN WARNED that they would need to buy a mini-dock in order to hear digital audio when playing back movies or anything else in it.

Paper Tape
faizan_abid

Most students might not be but I am really curious about this Audio via DisplayPort issue since until now I desired to get a W500 from my College. I have a choice of two laptops, the Toshiba Portege M900 and Lenovo W500. Now they are roughly the same in terms of processor. The major difference is the screen size,graphics card and RAM. The M900 has a 13.3" screen, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 Card and 4GB DDR2 while the Lenovo W500 has a 15.4" screen, ATI FireGL V5700 and 4GB DDR3

I got a HD home theatre and just like you guys I want to be able to enjoy HD Video and Audio at the same time. Although the Radeon 4570 is marginally better than FireGL V5700 in terms of graphics output, I still thought that the larger screen and DDR3 RAM more than offsets the difference between Graphics.

I didn't know that theres one other major difference, that is, the FireGL DisplyPort doesn't support HD Audio. I also read the Specs from the ATI website and it seems that FireGL doesn't support this feature while the HD 4570 does. I copied this from the ATI site:

FireGL V5700

Two integrated DisplayPort outputs

• Each supporting 24- and 30-bit displays at resolutions up to 2560x1600

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570

DisplayPort™ output support

• Supports 24- and 30-bit displays at all resolutions up to 2560x16002
    • Integrated HD audio controller with up to 2 channel 48 KHz stereo or multi-channel (7.1) AC3 enabling a plug-and-play cable-less audio solution.
    So I suppose that since Lenovo has FireGL V5700, it doesn't support HD Audio. Thanks to you all for highlighting this issue. I reconsidering my choice now.

Blue Screen Again
mantice

Since your goal is to ported to watch HD video/audio and not what Lenovo is good at (rougness, sheer power) It's obvious to me at least is Toshiba.  You will also have a smaller package especially good for student.

unless you have other needs just as important as your desire to watch HD movies, for example programming.

I have no mean to against Lenovo - but I feel that you just had to get what you need and not influence by something out of the box.

Paper Tape
kiranbv

I have the minidock(2504). How do I connect to get digital audio. I see only the headphone slot. So I bought a 3.5mm to RCA female and coaxial cable. But that did not work. Please let me know how you got digital audio out of the W500

Fanfold Paper
shion

"Unless Lenovo advised you that the displayport supported audio there is not much you can do."

They did just that.  They had adds saying that the new display port supported audio and HD Video (see earlier on in thread), their customer reps said it did, and anyone who was pointed at the display port standard (it's a standard for crying out loud) would have read that it did. 

If they weren't going to fully implement a standard, and one would reasonably expect his was a replacement for the HDMI port which had audio, then they should have mentioned.  A blatant divergence from what everyone would reasonably expect (not to mention had been told) in feature like this should have been prominently disclaimed.  I mean their cheap $600 laptops can do HD audio out.  This was just a goof up that they probably didn't realize untill too late.  They likely ended up having to cover by saying it was intentional.  I prefer to think that rather than they went out and intentionally mislead people (Even their own reps and a lenovo folk earlier on in this forum said they could see why it would be misunderstood).  Well YEAH.    Either way it really doesn't look good.

Punch Card
wheadley

Even Lenovo's own staff design bloggers wrote a detailed post about their implementation of DisplayPort last year on their design blog and lauded that it was a better choice than HDMI and that it included video and audio over the DisplayPort connection.

The real issue is what is Lenovo going to do about it and I suspect the answer is nothing. They continue to sell a BluRay drive option on the W series machines without mentioning the need for a mini-dock (which would make their BluRay option cost about $825.00) to make it work as expected.

There were then and there are now plenty of notebooks that use DisplayPort and HDMI-- and audio is of course included on many if not most of them (and all of them that have HDMI) -- which is what any reasonable person would expect. I know that an associate purchased a Dell workstation notebook last January that included DisplayPort WITH audio. It works just fine.

I wonder if Lenovo has any clue as to how many sales they are losing by trying to ignore this issue and wait for it to just go away. Here's a newsflash: It ain't going away until there is a fair resolution. This can't be good for sales of their most expensive notebook line.

Here's a suggestion: Offer to replace W series units with defective/gimped DisplayPorts for a nominal fee that includes shipping and handling. Those that really want or need the DisplayPort to function as expected can pay the fee and get a replacement mainboard or new model that does work as expected. Not ideal for Lenovo maybe in the short-term, but would easily make up for the cost in retaining customers longer-term.

Who would be willing to pay a reasonable fee to have their W series w/ defective DisplayPort replaced or repaired? I would.

Fanfold Paper
AydinA

Lenovo is not only "not reacting" or "not responding" to this thread properly but also to internal cross company communications. They simply do no care and I am sure our IT department will NOT consider purchasing a Lenovo Notebook next time when we order.

We have between 10 - 14 Lenovo W500 Laptops here in our department and all are stuck with the same problem and you can be sure that everyone has already passed their comment to the IT department.

Thanks for the *excellent* support Lenovo, we surely deserve this!.

thanks

AydinA

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 412
Kudos: 1,335
Solutions: 288

All,

I appreciate your feedback on this, however, please keep in mind that Audio does  not appear to be available on any manufacturer's implementation of displayport at the time these systems went to production.  No customer on this thread have provided an example of a model produced at the same that does have digital audio available via the display port connector.  Matt Kohut's blog on Display Port was referenced.  Please note that his entire post was focused on Video, and the purpose of the blog was to introduce this new port and explain why it was appearing on some new systems, while HDMI was available on others.

There are a number of comments here expressing the intent to recommend against Lenovo for future purchases because DP didn't have audio.   If other manufacturer's didn't have it available either, I have to ask then, what system your users would have purchased instead of the W500 that provided this feature?

If one exists, please provide that specifc example - manufacturer, model, date released to the market.  Please provide a link to the system specs on that manufactuer's site that specifically note audio available on display port.

I've left this thread open  for the purpose of allowing people to share their point of view, and to share any work around solutions that might develop in the industry.  

If this thread  has covered that ground and now has reached the point where it only serves as a place to repeat the same generic assertions and criticize Lenovo,  then I think we have collected enough comments already to understand that audio on display port was a desired feature, and that we need to be clearer in communicating limitations in the product specs.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Fanfold Paper
shion

Any system with an HDMI port could provide the functionality of high definition audio and video.

1) I believe someone already posted a model a while back in this thread.

2) COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT.  Mark your response is logically fallicious, you have committed the fallacy of disambiguation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

It is entirely unimportant whether or not other complanies had this working. If I had bought it from another company and they had told me this was a replacement for an HDMI port and that it would do Audio, I would take it up with them.

Saying that "well no one else could figure out how to make the childrens toy for cheap without lead in it either" is NOT justification.  You said you had a port which is governed by a standard that you chose not to fully implement (for whatever reason) you should make this absolutely clear.  The standards for the Display Port had been published at that time. It's a VESA standard, and the way you presented the information was misleading (enough so that your own employees didn't realize you guys had pulled this), and you advertised the feature with audio.  You yourself said you understood how this could be easily misunderstood.  Well the fault clearly is with the seller not the buyer.  I would expect that if the standard for this display port showed audio, and  you couldn't get that working it should be mentioned explicitly just the same as if you put out a product that had an HDMI port but you couldn't get audio working.  Lenovo would have been absolutely aware that when they replaced the HDMI port with a Display Port which was documented to support audio and video in the standard, that people would of course expect exactly that.

They do NOT read motherboard chipset digest.  Seriously you have a lot of nerve.

What IS important is what are you going to do about it?

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 412
Kudos: 1,335
Solutions: 288

[ Edited ]

Shion,

I appreciate your ire, and your post exemplifies why this discussion has run it's course.

The official position from engineering and development is that there will be no action taken on this series of systems to provide audio on display port.   Discussion has become pointless debate.

Thanks

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество