Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
DiegoTheWolf

Factory Reset without working backup DVD

Hey,

First of: I tried to google an search for my Problem but i didnt found anything that helped me well. So i´m here now ;-)

The thing is:

I wanna recover my whole Laptop to factory settings, delet all data on it.

I made a recovery DVD after i got that Laptop (btw its a W510). But on one of those DVD´s there are some "recovery" files but it doesnt boot or helped anywhere. The second DVD is bootable but it cannot start anything (it says files are missing, put in the right DVD). I can put in any of those two DVD´s but cant backup.

To my regret i deleted the "backup partition" ... so i dont have any more files than my - broken - DVD´s.

What can i do now ?? I wanna reset this Laptop to its factory settings.
Any adwises or help?

If you need more information just say it.

Thx for any support
and sorry for that bad english :smileyembarrassed:

Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: Factory Reset without working backup DVD

Does the working disk have a WIM file on it?
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Blue Screen Again
DiegoTheWolf

Hey,

I dont have those DVD´s at my new home, but as far as i remember, is there no WIM file on this.
It was a boot data and an boot folder.

I will get those DVD´s shipped to me today, so i can look for that.

But what if not ??
Can i maybe get a recovery System form IBM/Lenovo, if i can verify that i´m the owner of this Laptop.

Guru
ColonelONeill

[ Edited ]

It may be possible to restore from one of the disks through a complex and intricate procedure (assuming both are the data disks and not the recovery tool).

You can order recovery disks from Lenovo.

Or you can download the Windows 7 ISO and use the Windows key supplied under the laptop to install a blank, non-Lenovo install of Windows then install the drivers and tools automatically using System Update.

W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Blue Screen Again
DiegoTheWolf

Is it really possile to get every driver and tool i got before with a clean windows 7 installation ??
I have some Versions (from University) burned on a DVD.

Would be great =)

Big thanks for your support !!!

RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

[ Edited ]

DiegoTheWolf wrote:

Is it really possile to get every driver and tool i got before with a clean windows 7 installation ??

Hi Diego:

Yes, I think that is something that you can do quite easily.  It will be a bit time-consuming, and you will need a fast internet connection, but it is easy to do.

Go to the Lenovo website where all of the various drivers and support files are found.  For the W510 series, I believe you can find them here: Lenovo Drivers and Support Files.  Download all of the files that you think you will need, and store these on a flash drive (USB stick) or similar.  Then, do the 'clean install' of Windows 7, without an internet connection active.  Before you connect to the internet, shove the USB stick into the side of the computer and run all of the little packages that you downloaded from the Lenovo site - that will install all the required stuff onto your computer.  Then, connect to the internet and proceed as normal.

An alternate (and possibly easier) way of accomplishing more or less the same thing would be to download the 'Lenovo Update' application from the ThinkVantage Technologies web page, store it on a USB stick, do the clean install of Windows 7, then install the Lenovo Update application, run it, and let it go fetch all the stuff for you.

I have done clean installs of Windows 7 in the past using both methods.  The first method (fetching all the drivers yourself) gives you more control over the process, but takes more time and is more detail-oriented.  The second method is a lot faster, but gives you less control.  It generally works pretty well, though.

Either way, chances are that you will probably miss installing at least one required driver - you can determine what (if anything) you have missed by going to the "Device Manager" control panel after your installation is complete, and seeing if there is anything listed there with a question mark or an exclamation point beside it.  You then have to figure out what the missing piece is, then fetch it manually (using the first method) and install it.

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
What's DOS?
invasion

Hy there,

DiegoTheWolf wrote:

I have the same problem as you DiegoTheWoulf (no backup - missing factoy state), and the same configuration as you PanEuropean (w520,4270CTO).

First of all, DiegoTheWolf, I would be grateful if you'd like to share what option did you choose at least?

Secondly, PanEuropean, many of us know the options you've shared and those options are of course, the most useful in such situations.

BUT,

My problem is: I just LOVED the factory state configuration of my new W520. Now I lost it! The only thing that is left is the Serial Number, on the back of the laptop, of Windows 7 x64 Pro, which came pre-installed.

Now I am using the system, through one of your options, becouse I know it just well. But the system seems slower, and doesn't "move" the way it did with factory state settings.

Any ideas of how I can just go back to the first state of system configuration? 

802.11n
christopherlang

[ Edited ]

Heh. Isn't it nice having a laptop you bought with no OS. You can order a copy of what you already paid for (from Lenovo) for another 45 dollars though.

Cheers