Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
robustm

File transfer rate is very bad on my new W520. Help needed....

Hello,

I have a usb 2.0 hi speed flash drive which has transfer rates of 15Mb/s. But When I am trying to copy a movie (under 3 gb) from my W520 to the flash drive the speeds that I observe is 6Mb/s which is very slow. Initially, I though I have an issue with the flash drive but when I used my 3 year old dual core xps laptop to copy a file, I observed the speed of 15 Mb/s. If not  high speed atleast I am expecting to see 15Mb/s with my W520. Really wierd!!! 

BTW... I am running my W520 at "Maximum Performance" power profile.  And I see my clock speed always at less than 1 ghz while copying the file but when i do other stuff i see my clock speed hitting 3.2 ghz....

Any thoughts on whats going on???

My system is Thinkpad w520 2710 with 8 gb of ram....

Thanks

Robustm

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Re: File transfer rate is very bad on my new W520. Help needed....

Do you get the same result on all four USB ports? 

Guru
PeterTWJ

Hi robustm

From what I know, the problem lies with Windows 7 (throttling)

How about copying to USB drives? the speed should be around 30+ - 60MB, depending on the file type also.

1. You could also try updating Intel Chipset driver

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=816&DwnldID=20019&ProductFamily=Chipse...

et+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Chipset+Software+Installation+Utility&lang=eng

2. You could try using SpeedGuide TCP Optimizer, which resolves Network Throttling and Slow file transfer problems for some. (Set as Optimal)
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

3. You could go to Computer Management (compmgmt.msc), Device Manager, Disk drives, double-click your USB device, policies, set as Performance.
* Note: This may require you to Safety Remove the device, due to caching for performance.

Hope it helps :smileyhappy:

Happy Holiday :smileyvery-happy:

Peter
ThinkPad: W520 (4284-A99)

=============================================

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve 

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future 

Dolby Home Theater v4 (Essential/IdeaPad/ThinkPad)

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dolby-Home-Theater-v4-for-most-Lenovo-Laptops/td-p/62...

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

PeterTWJ wrote:

From what I know, the problem lies with Windows 7 (throttling)

Huh? Care to elaborate?

The biggest I/O hit I take on copies from any device to any device is from my anti virus/malware software.  And the biggest slowdown of the various file types occurs curiously enough on the Lenovo driver packages.  You know, the .EXEs you pull down from support.lenovo.com. 

RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

RobustM:

I agree with Peter's remarks.

I've noticed varying levels of performance (speed) when reading and writing to USB sticks.  I do suspect it is a Windows (an OS) issue, rather than a Lenovo specific issue.

I highly recommend that you check to ensure you have the most recent Intel Chipset driver (same suggestion that Peter made). However, I am a little bit more conservative, therefore I suggest you download the most recent Intel Chipset driver that LENOVO has posted at the W520 Device Driver File Matrix, rather than downloading an Intel Chipset driver from Intel themselves.

The OEMs (Intel, Nvidia, etc.) who supply the components that Lenovo uses in their laptops generally recommend that end users download updated software from the computer manufacturer (i.e. Lenovo), rather than from themselves.  This is because the possibility exists that the 'very newest, latest, greatest, bleeding edge software release' published by the component manufacturers might not work with specific models of computers.  If you get the drivers from the Lenovo website, at least you know that Lenovo has carried out some due diligence to make sure that that version of the driver works OK with their machines.

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Fanfold Paper
Staats

The lack of CPU usage is expected as file copying isn't CPU intensive. The manufacturers rated speed may not be acheivable with actual usage.Transfer rates will really vary with the types of files (one big-sequential read or lots of smaller random reads) being copied. Have you tried benchmarking the flash drive? I haven't had any issues with the USB or eSATA xfer rates with my machine.

Guru
ColonelONeill

I've always maxed out on USB 2.0 at 20-25MB/s on any machine.

If the source file is highly fragmented, and you're using a platter drive, then your copy speed will be limited to the speed you can read from the drive.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
802.11n
ZipZap

Findings

[ Edited ]

If I transfer a large file to my USB 2.0 thumb drive from the C: drive it runs at around 18MBs. If I transfer a collection of small files, it runs at .5MB to  3MBs, depending on the average file size.

I also tried the same with a NTFS hard disk drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure. The results:

about 80MBs for a single large file vs. 70MBs for a collection of smaller files

I thought this had something to do with the fact that Windows doesn't cache FAT drives.

See Device Manager, right click Disk drives, right click the thumb drive, under policies choose Better performance.

Unfortunately, this didn't alter the results... sigh.

Best, ZZ

Punch Card
robustm

Thanks all for all your valuable comments.

My intel chipset driver is up to date as its posted on Lenovo drivers. Both read and write from W520 to the flashdrive are very slow at a rate of 6 Mb/s. But one thing i observed is when the copy to/from starts on to flash drive the initial speeds are 70Mb/s for few seconds but then in next few seconds it will settle at 6Mb/s. 

I also set the policy on the drive to performance and I still see the same speed. (I tried a single avi file with 4 gb size)

It definately not an issue with the flash drive as I can see much higher speeds with a different laptop. Anyways, I will perform a benchmark on the flash drive (I am using a sandisk cruzer 16gb flash drive formatted to NTFS).

Thanks

robustm

Punch Card
robustm

BTW... does the Disk I/O has anything do with BIOS updates? I recently updated my BIOS to 1.34 from 1.12 .