Support in other languages: 
802.11n
ZipZap

Re: File transfer rate is very bad on my new W520. Help needed....

Hi, Rob,

I too am running BIOS 1.34. I don't think this makes any difference. I have the same putrid transfer rates that you have.

I reformatted the flash drive with NTFS and FAT32, all to no avail.

What benchmarks are you running? There are a number of utilities out there for this purpose, but so far I am just using file copies, which can be deceptive i.e. Windows calculates some ludicrous transfer rates when writing to cache, then ten years later I'm still stuck on 95% complete etc.

The thing that perplexes me is the fast performance of the USB 2.0 hard drive; why doesn't the problem surface there too?

ZZ

Guru
harrisb

[ Edited ]

Hmmm.... I have a new Sandisk Cruzer 32GB which was originally formatted FAT32. I tested the speed copying a large ISO file (2.3GB+) and saw data rates of around 4.2 mb/sec. I then reformatted it to NTFS, 4192 Sector size and got 24.8mb/sec.

Update: There is a Microsoft Hotfix that addresses the USB data transfer rate issue in Windows 7 SP1. The fix id is KB2581464 which you can request from Microsoft. A e-mail will be sent with the link to retrieve the file. I added the MaximumTransferLength DWORD to the USB controller entry and modified the DWORD to be 2MB. The transfer speed increased to 29.8 mb/sec.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2581464

"This article introduces a new feature that enables you to update the maximum transfer size of USB storage devices in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2. After you install this update, you can increase the maximum transfer size from 64 kilobytes (KB) to 2 megabytes (MB) in the Usbstor.sys driver.

Note For some USB storage devices, performance can be improved if the maximum transfer size is increased from the default 64 KB. This update supports this change when the hardware vendor provides a device information file (INF) to set this value for the USB storage devices. "

YMMV

W520, i7-2820QM, BIOS 1.42, 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 2000M NVIDIA GPU, Samsung 840 Pro 480GB SSD, Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0, eSata Plextor PX-LB950UE BluRay

W520, i7-2760QM, BIOS 1.42 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 1000M NVIDIA GPU, Crucial M500 480GB mSata SSD, Hitachi 500GB HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0
Guru
PeterTWJ

[ Edited ]

@ThorsHammer

I am not exactly sure how it works, I did some research on google that USB and network are somehow file transfer related as it is copying with Windows Explorer, so some of the tweaks benefits for both scenarios.

@ harrisb

Great tips, copying a single through USB 2.0, I was able to achieve around 85MB - 120MB, however I am not too sure why speed starts to drop gradually till 50+MB per second after several seconds. Thanks :smileyhappy:

Cheers :smileyvery-happy:

Peter
ThinkPad: W520 (4284-A99)

=============================================

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve 

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future 

Dolby Home Theater v4 (Essential/IdeaPad/ThinkPad)

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dolby-Home-Theater-v4-for-most-Lenovo-Laptops/td-p/62...

802.11n
ZipZap

[ Edited ]

Hi, Pete,

USB 2.0 maxs out at 480 Mbs = 60MBs, and that is theoretical i.e. you won't achieve it in the real world (more around 40 MBs). So how can we see such nice numbers? If the data is written to memory cache, then Windows calculates the transfer rates as being very high. As the data gets flushed to the flash memory at USB 2.0 speeds, the average transfer rate starts to drop reflecting the true transfer speed.

So I suggest downloading one of the many flash drive benchmark utilities, instead of relying on the deceptive numbers Windows will show you on a file copy.

:smileywink:

ZZ

Guru
harrisb

[ Edited ]

Sounds about right for the realizable speed. I've been seeing 25-29 mbps after applying the change. However, this is only on NTFS formatted sticks. The FAT32 sticks are showing 4-6 mbps so it's likely that there is buffering going on when NTFS is used. It did see something interesting when I ran the resource monitor. The disk activity was also mirrored with the network activity so USB is being treated as a network resource.

Here's the results from a benchmark run that I just did. The maximum write speed is still 4mb+ and the maximum read speed is 23mb+

Cruzer32gb.PNG

W520, i7-2820QM, BIOS 1.42, 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 2000M NVIDIA GPU, Samsung 840 Pro 480GB SSD, Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0, eSata Plextor PX-LB950UE BluRay

W520, i7-2760QM, BIOS 1.42 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 1000M NVIDIA GPU, Crucial M500 480GB mSata SSD, Hitachi 500GB HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0
RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

I wonder if everyone is "looking too deep" for a solution to this question about file transfer speed when moving files to an external drive (USB or otherwise).

If you go to 'Device Manager' (found in the Control Panel), click on the external storage device that you are interested in (it will be listed under the 'Disk Drives' subheading - click that subheading to expand it), and then right-click on the drive in question, choose 'Properties', then select the 'Policies' tab, you will be presented with the following choices:

USB Policies

It appears to me that by chosing the 'Better Performance' option, it should be possible to speed up file transfer to the external drive.  The catch, of course, is that you can no longer just rip the USB stick out of the side of the computer whenever you want, you will need to use the 'Safely Remove Media and Eject Hardware' dialog that is available from the task tray on the menu bar before you remove the device.

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Guru
harrisb

Michael

The only thing that setting the Windows driver policy to "Better Performance" is to release the source faster. The underlying transfer rate is unchanged from the computer to the USB device.

802.11n
ZipZap

not that simple

Hi, Michael,

I tested that setting. See one of my earlier posts in this thread.

This setting has to do with write caching, and unfortunately does not resolve the issue.

ZZ

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

PeterTWJ wrote:

@ThorsHammer

I am not exactly sure how it works, I did some research on google that USB and network are somehow file transfer related as it is copying with Windows Explorer, so some of the tweaks benefits for both scenarios.

Do you have something to support the statement "From what I know, the problem lies with Windows 7 (throttling) " statement or not? 

Sounds like not.

When you say throttling, it sounds like a deliberately programmed act to reduce the speed.  Your new statement above sounds more like you are saying people need to tweak the defaults.

Guru
PeterTWJ

@ ThorsHammer

By default, Windows 7 limits the network receive speed to 10% of its maximum - 100Mbps on gigabit ethernet, and 10Mbps on fast ethernet - (This affects even if you are copying from network to usb or general, etc.)

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/51039-windows-7-bandwidth-throttling.html

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1043281

Disabling Network Throttling helps me a lot on video streaming such as youtube and file transfering.

Tweaking the default network settings improves both network and USB. It works for me. Even though they seems 2 separate issues (USB and Network transfer rate), but it's relevant.

http://narayanraman.blogspot.com/2010/11/windows-7-fix-for-slow-copy-speeds-from.html

Cheers :smileyvery-happy:

Peter
ThinkPad: W520 (4284-A99)

=============================================

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve 

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future 

Dolby Home Theater v4 (Essential/IdeaPad/ThinkPad)

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dolby-Home-Theater-v4-for-most-Lenovo-Laptops/td-p/62...