Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Re: File transfer rate is very bad on my new W520. Help needed....

The original context was a file copy from a USB stick. There was no mention of ethernet.  I'm not sure how you made that leap but it never crossed my mind.  Now that I know what you are talking about, most of my IT folks call it performance tuning.  :smileyhappy:

Guru
PeterTWJ

It's even hard to explain with online resources. Part of the USB tweaks provided are under Network Configuration (netsh). Even though those tweaks work, but I am unsure how does the tweaks work to improve USB transfer speed. That's why I did not elaborate much on it. :smileyhappy:

Cheers :smileyvery-happy:

Peter
ThinkPad: W520 (4284-A99)

=============================================

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve 

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future 

Dolby Home Theater v4 (Essential/IdeaPad/ThinkPad)

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dolby-Home-Theater-v4-for-most-Lenovo-Laptops/td-p/62...

Punch Card
robustm

OK. Seems like there are quite a few options that I can try. what is the tool to benchmark a flash drive are you guys using? 

And also, I will take a look into the Windows update.

Thanks again. I will come back with the results.

Cheers,

Robustm

Guru
ColonelONeill

[ Edited ]

Interesting tweaks. I'll see if they do anything here.

I just watch the copy speeds in TeraCopy as I dump files to my external hard drive. It'll drop to 4-5MB/s on small files as expected of platter drives though.

W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
802.11n
christopherlang

[ Edited ]
802.11n
christopherlang

[ Edited ]

Hi Peter: No. I just don't agree with this entire post. How is tuning your network config even remotely related to copying from hardrive to harddrive?

--

Btw I get around 40-50mb per second transfer rates going from an external eSATA connected drive to an external connected via one of the USB 3.0 ports. Was hoping for a higher transfer rate, this seems only double the USB 2.0 rate. I also installed the hotfix mentioned in this thread and I see no apparent change in transfer rate of the USB device. Reading further there is also a registry change needed (to set the transfer size Doh --also it appears this is set on a per device basis), darn hotfix doc says no registry changes required then one reads further down and..no worries. The disk I am copying has a mix of small files and some huge ones (small files, various vm images, dasd images -around 380gb or so total). I also want to see highlevel the difference between the 64kb transfer size and 2mb transfer sizes. Will make the change and report back.

Cheers,

Christopher

--Well joy, I cannot test further due to issues using my sata to usb 3.0 adapter. I get

The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device USB\VID_147E&PID_2016\6&2c0263ed&0&3

events logged (these were already being logged before attempting to use the hotfix)

and now get

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR2

Checking further the first event may not matter (I just have to remove and reattach the drive, so this is still an issue), the second event could be related to the change I did make to try the KB. I tried a 2mb transfer rate. I am not fully sure how an error would manifest itself if the controller did not support the 2mb rate, I deleted the key and am back at at 40-50mb sec transfer rates and no error events logged. I really don't trust any of this though given the event log entries I was getting prior to even attempting to use the KB. If I don't have any further issues, I may try using lesser sized values for the transfer rate and see what happens (the controller error message may go away and could have been the value I tried to use for the transfer setting). --Nope, I think my adapter is bad, will need to get another..

Btw the adaptor is from newmodeus, it is their USB 3.0 Cable, connect HDD, SSD, ODD (optical drive) externally (USB-HDD-ODD-C32) kit.  I also bought an SATA adaptor kit and it has been working perfectly.

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

If you are using 7200rpm HDD drives, that isn't terrible.

The fastest transfers are using the primary drive bay, and the ultrabay.  After that, it's usually using a direct attached storage device across an eSATAp cable.

After that, it really depends a lot on the enclosures being used and the interface methods (bottlenecks).

802.11n
christopherlang

[ Edited ]

I disagree, but you may be right on the rate. I was expecting more like 80-100 mb a second for a sustained transfer rate to the USB 3.0 attached drive. Perhaps this was to high an expectation :-). About all I can find real world is one person getting a sustained rate of 62.5 mb per sec.

Guru
ColonelONeill

IIRC, I was able to do ~70MB/s on a single file sequential copy from my internal disk to a USB 3.0 drive.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
802.11n
christopherlang

[ Edited ]

Thanks much. Really I was just curious about the KB and also what is the average usb 3.0 rate others are seeing. On my now backup sata/usb 2.0 converter I am getting 30.7mb sec sustained, seems with the speeds I was seeing using the defective 3.0 adapter, I had around 2x the typical usb 2.0 transfer rate (I was at 40-50 mb/s --more towards 40). Will try again using a usb 3.0 interface once I get a replacement adapter. Hopefully I see the same rate you see. I will try testing with the KB again then if I can.

Cheers