Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
avgUser

Friendly Complaints and Suggestions :)

Hello, I'm a brand new Lenovo user. I recently bought the W520 and have used it for about two or three weeks now. While, overall, I guess, I'd say I'm a satisfied customer, there are somethings about my new laptop that just really annoy me. Hopefully, the Lenovo team reads this and resolves these issues or experiments with new ideas.

1. Sometimes when you buy a new product it has that "New car smell". In this case, my W520 has a "New laptop smell". I wouldn't mind it so much if it smelled pleasant. However, I've had to stand this horrid, toxic chemical smell for two or three weeks now. At times it's so bad that it limits my computer usage. I was pretty surprised when I left the laptop in the room, went to the kitchen, and smelled(!) the laptop in the hallway on my way back.

2. One of the very first things I noticed when I first received my laptop was the 9-cell battery. It was so loose and noisybecause it moved around so much. I've read on online forums that many other people have been shipped this defective battery. Well, maybe it's the battery and the laptop, but something is definitely horribly wrong here. I mean, I paid good money for a solid laptop, but now I have this.

3. This keyboard is pretty different from my old one. But, I just feel like the texture is a bit odd. My figures tend to slid around on these keys compared to the old one. And it doesn't feel as tactile as my old one. I find myself constantly looking for the arrow keys because I can't find them if I feel around for them. Sometimes I can't feel the difference between the left mouse button and the right one. I spend more time look at my keyboard with this laptop than the old one.

4. Keyboard noise was something that I thought was going to be quieter with the Lenovo, since I thought I saw something about an "x" design in the keys or something like that. Anyway, typing on this keyboard is way louder than my older one. Maybe because of the texture, the plastic on the keys sounds really loud.

5. The keyboard light next to the camera seems like a really roundabout way to light the keyboard. It also gives off way more light than it needs to. It's like taking out a flashlight to illuminate the keyboard. I think it would be simpler and more efficient just to have a back-lit keyboard.

6. The optical drive. Since the W520 is a laptop, I pick it up and carry it arounda lot. But, it's really annoying when I hit the eject button on the side of the laptop. I don't mean to sometimes I just nudge it on accident against something. I think that button is in a really bad spot, I'm always pressing it on accident.

7. The included Lenovo apps are somewhat handy. Sometimes. Not all of them though. Except, they're really slow to launch. Because of the super slow splash screen and the redundancy of these apps I don't use any of them now. I might use them if they launched way faster.

8. All right. I'm going to be honest with you guys: My last computer was a MacBook Pro. I don't know how many of you guys have used a Mac before, but I now know that multi-touch on those things is simply amazing. This was a big let down on the Lenovo because it advertised a multi-touch track padwhich it hasbut the problem is that it works horribly. Perhaps, this is Synaptics' fault, but I've tried configuring it, to no avail. It's extremely insensitive and unreliable that it pretty much renders multi-touch on my W520 useless.

9. The power adapter bar, brick, weight thing. It's of titanic proportions. It's awkward to carry around, super heavy, and somewhat embarrassing to take out and plug in. I'm glad that the battery life is so awesome so I don't have to unleash this monster brick.

There are things that I really like about my new Lenovo laptop. Like the track point! It's really nice because I don't have to move all the way down to get to the track pad. The hardware I have on this thing is great as well. The price is amazing! The customer service representative was awesome! Oh and you can bend the screen 180 degrees! Overall, Lenovo is cool. It's just that these things are annoying. Hopefully, they are taken constructively and not as attacks.

Thanks!

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 354
Solutions: 238

Re: Friendly Complaints and Suggestions :)

Hi avgUser and welcome to the forum,

Your post is one of the most objective complaint posts I've seen in a long time. Kudos for that.:smileyhappy:

I've asked for some feedback on your num. 1 complaint.  Does it smell as strong as it did the first day?  Has it diminished at all in 3 weeks?  

I'm sure other members will be along to comment on your other issues and maybe offer some solutions or workarounds.  

As far as the battery goes, I'm not sure that a new battery will fix the looseness or not, maybe feedback from other owners might shed some light on that.

The thinklight.  Owners either love it or hate it. Personally, I think it's the best.  I use a ThinkPad for a gps, and at night the thinklight is enough to illuminate any notetaking I might have to do.  Or, counting change for turnpike tolls.

Anyway, thanks for the objective post, it's refreshing for a change.

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Serial Port
rc87

1. smell. I have no smell on mine.

2. battery loose. One of the very first things I noticed when I first received my laptop was the 9-cell battery. It was so loose and noisy—because it moved around so much. CONFIRM, it is loose in vertical direction, it moves up and down and make noise when it moves up because it hit the case while moving.

3. about keyboard noise there could be different producers, Chicony and NMB. I can surely say based on experience on older thinkpads that same keyboard built by different manufacture sounds different while typing.

5. Thinklight. The keyboard light is perfect for me. I have a X61 and its can barely light the keyboard, this one is perfect. I use it a lot.

6. The optical drive button. I hit the eject button every time I move it. That's exactly where I put my right hand to lift it. There are little traybar application to lock it via software, so it disable the button. When you need to open it, you enable the button from the application and it works. What about the plastic over the DVD, where the speaker is. I nearly cracked it lifting it with one hand.

7. Lenovo apps . I use the power manager MANY time a day. Yeah they're slow. Please make PM start faster.

8. Touchpad. CONFIRM: It's extremely insensitive and unreliable that it pretty much renders multi-touch on my W520 useless. I use ony trackpoint and external mouse.

9. The power adapter brick, weight thing. I don't care. Other similar workstations use similar weighty bricks.

I add:

a) color calibration for wide gamut. Lenovo should supply the correct color profile with the 1080p display and write basic instructions on knowledge base about how to use it on windows and/or linux OS. The default profile is simply wrong.

b) software manual Lenovo should supply a little handy manual with the notebook describing their utility and the harder and particular settings, Power Manager, Optimus... I have no trouble to modify settings, I like to explore and try new settings in their utilities, but a new user may loose time figuring it or never discover some nice trouble-solving tricks. I had a problem with power manager limiting power, and it was because of a counterintuitive setting.

I solved all software issues and I'm nearly happy with mine, except for the hw/build issues I can do nothing (battery, touchpad etc). I'll for sure have to return the seagate HDD soon, hope they'll send an Hitachi :smileyhappy: but I think I'll upgrade to onsite warranty before.

________________________________________________________________________________
W520 on win8.1/linux | X220 | and some older stuff 760 onwards :smileyhappy:
eos
802.11n
eos

[ Edited ]

I went from MBP to W520, and I agree, the trackpad is simply appalling - Its way too small, and double finger scrolling is simply broken and unsuable - try it.

I really wish the 6 cell battery was an option when I bought this - but no. 9 cell is bulky and becaue it sticks out, it wont fit into normal cases and generally gets in the way. If I had the cash, I would junk the 9 cell and replace it with a perfect 6cell. If I want battery life, I use my Tosh R830 which is as fast in real life use, has 9h battery life, weights 1.4kg, the microphone is excellent by comparison, and the speakers no worse.

I have the same issue with the optical - I keep accidentally popping it out. Amazinly I havent broken it yet.

I too hate the ridiculous time you have to wait to start things like the power manager, for no apparent reason. Often I end up launching it 3 or 4 times because nothing is happening. And because we all have so many problems with the CPU not boosting, or speedstepping, we spend a lot of time using it.

Its a shame you cant use the 90W adapter just to run the machine without the discrete graphics card or similar. That would be amazingly useful.

The lack of correct ICM profile is something which has stopped me using this machine for any photo or video work - I have to have my Monitor plugged in.  I have tried a few random ICM profiles other W520 users have posted, but in lighroom the reds are still way over saturated.  I guess They are assuming everyone has £300 to spend on a decent colour calibration device.

jiv
802.11n
jiv

That's the first time I've heard someone complain about the Thinkpad keyboard :smileytongue:. Maybe you just need to get more familiar with it.

Good points nonetheless.

Serial Port
rc87

eos wrote:
I too hate the ridiculous time you have to wait to start things like the power manager, for no apparent reason. Often I end up launching it 3 or 4 times because nothing is happening.

eos, I found a faster way...

create the profile you need through Power Manager, then for a fast profile switch, use Fn+F3, it will show a window with all profiles.

Fast, one click to your profile, done. You'll have to open PM only for modifies, but no more for changing profile :smileyvery-happy:

________________________________________________________________________________
W520 on win8.1/linux | X220 | and some older stuff 760 onwards :smileyhappy:
Guru
PeterTWJ

avgUser, this is nice as you are still able to provide complaints and suggestions in a friendly manner to solve problems. Doing this would probably solve problems easier without having conflict with the staffs or engineers. I failed to do so last year for my refunded W510 under tense situation and was previously unhappy about it, however it still makes me learn something.

I believe this is a good point for everyone to learn from avgUser, more friendly, forgiving and complaining in an unoffensive ways. :smileyhappy:

Kudos to you! :smileyvery-happy:

Best Regards :smileyvery-happy:

Peter

=============================================
Does someone post helps you? Give them a kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve :smileyvery-happy:

Refunded Set: W510, 4876-A11

Current Set: W520, 4284-A99

Dolby Home Theater v4! on T520 or W520:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/m-p/451401#M1551... 

802.11n
huberth

[ Edited ]

avgUser wrote:

1. Sometimes when you buy a new product it has that "New car smell". In this case, my W520 has a "New laptop smell". I wouldn't mind it so much if it smelled pleasant. However, I've had to stand this horrid, toxic chemical smell for two or three weeks now. At times it's so bad that it limits my computer usage. I was pretty surprised when I left the laptop in the room, went to the kitchen, and smelled(!) the laptop in the hallway on my way back.

I strongly agree to #1. "Toxic Smell." 

Solution: I put mine in the cellar and let it run Lenovo Diagnostics at full power for about 10 hours to let it de-tox. 

Jimbo

[ Edited ]

AvgUser, I don't know what component it is that's making the smell, particularly for that long of a time period, but I've seen that happen with some of the cheaper plastics or rubber materials. That often indicates a volitile organic compound, which is seldom a good thing for you. I've never owned a computer that did that. I wouldn't be interested in buying a computer if people said that it smells like that.... And I would be sure to tell a client if a particular model smells that bad, when recommending computer purchase options...

I hope that the smell issue is just a production or sourcing problem, and that Lenovo solves it quickly.

802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

I was curious if other new ThinkPads have exhibited as intense of a smell issue as described in this thread, so I performed a search on the Lenovo forums and found the following. I'm not including any of the reports in which a component was actually burning up inside the laptop, nor am I including the older range of ThinkPads. Aside perhaps from the first item involving a T420, avgUser may be experiencing something unusual or new:

My T420 Review + Warranty Experience + Accessories & Upgrades 
07-02-2011 02:13 PM
When I unboxed the machine the fist thing I noticed was a horrible smell that I can only describe as "new computer smell" it was a mixture of ozone plus melted plastic.

21 Day Return Policy Question
02-05-2011 04:20 PM - last edited on 02-05-2011 04:33 PM
PS - Not related to this question. Any T510 owners ever smell burning plastic or similar smell coming from the vent on the left side when they first got their notebook? I am thinking it is because the parts in the notebook are new.

Reply from Maliha Community Moderator: As for burning smell, it could be thermal paste, it should go away in few days or a week time, however if it doesn't you should definitely get the system checked up by lenovo support.

Re: X61 - slight smell from laptop [ Edited ] 
03-04-2010 01:19 PM - last edited on 03-04-2010 01:20 PM 
My new x200 reeked badly of new electronics whenever the fan would run for the first few days.

T61 Elecrical Oder 
09-25-2008 10:27 PM
I am happy to say that I just recieved my T61/T9300/wsxga+/ XP Pro today and everything seems to be working as advertised. I have noticed a strong electrical oder(seems to be diminishing), not a burning oder, but rather like "burn in" as if some one had used a liitle too much solder or rosin on a power connector or the like.I have noticed similar oders on other electrical devices that I have had in the past, and they usually have never amounted to anything to worry about. Has anyone else had a similar expierience with a T61p ? I dont want to go through the trouble of having to return or exchange the unit because I am otherwise pretty happy with this newest member of my electical gadgetry family.

Reply from wjli2: is your laptop T61 or T61p, the odour could be from various things, use HWmonitorPro check your CPU temp and the like. Let it run for a while, the smell will disappear after a few day. 

Later that day from the original poster: The oder does to appear to be diminishing, either that or I am just getting more used to it.