Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
PhilVy
Accepted Solution

Graphics driver Problem on startup

[ Edited ]

Good evening!

So, I tried to update my graphics driver. It worked when I set graphics adapter on discrete in bios and booted then into Win Vista Ultimate 32bit. On reboot I had to put the bios settings back on discrete again, because something put it on switchable. Now I booted, after the installation finished, on settings "switchable". The internal graphics jumped in, and I got the popup on login of Vista saying "No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning properly. install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI hardware".

Well, it gets nasty because I have to change in the bios each times I need the discrete graphics, and each time this setting is reset. Furthermore there seems to be a serious problem with the driver.

Someone got an idea what to do? And if you gonna say "reinstall the driver", be more precise please.

PS. The graphics driver would not install until I did it from the cmd. The install from the GUI aborted, windows said "program stopped working"

Cheers,

Phil

PS2. no option to switch between power or energy saving anymore (software switch for the graphics)

Message Edited by PhilVy on 11-01-2008 07:59 PM
Serial Port
PhilVy

Re: Graphics driver Problem on startup

[ Edited ]

Well, good evening everybody!

Thanks to a lot of patience with my new baby (talking about the W500), I got the mechanism working. If you've lost the point "switchable graphics" in the leftclick battery gauge menu, then you're lucky to need less than an hour:

1. Uninstall the ATI software from the control panel -> software menu

2. Uninstall the driver for BOTH graphic adapters from the devices menu

3. Run Lenovo Updater ("System Update"), installing the graphic driver new

4. Don't be surprise if your system hangs on this shutdown

5. Don't forget to reboot as often as possible, and before installing the driver (System Update) turning discrete graphics on in the bios menu

Maybe I forgot one point or two. You'll find it if you start the process the second time. I forgot to uninstall the drivers the first time...

All done with a 4062-2XG on Win Vista Ultimate 32bit

Now I'll try switching from "high performance" to "energy saving". We'll see... 

PS. I will provide a step-by-step howto soon. Everything worked now, and I don't think I'm the only one with such a problem.

Message Edited by PhilVy on 11-01-2008 08:50 PM