Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
mikeynavy1

Improving Technical Support Communication?

Does anyone have an alternate number to elevated customer service with Lenovo Support?  My laptop has been stuck at the depot since 14 February over a USB 3.0/Bluetooth issue mentioned in a prior thread that manifests itself when a USB 3.0 hub is plugged in and the laptop started.  I attached a detailed description of the problem and how to duplicate when I sent it in yet it was ignored as they put it on hold pending information from me.  For a few days my status was stuck on (On Hold).  I kept calling and since they wouldn't let me talk directly to the tech I kept trying to relay information through phone agents who don't take notes properly or understand computer troubleshooting.  On 17 Feb it was mysteriously elevated to "Engineering" and another "On Hold" status placed.  Ever since then the only thing I was told was that some "special equipment" was being ordered for testing.  No other detail than that and no update on whether they duplicated the problem or not, or what they even think the problem might be.  The equipment was due to arrive today but I couldn't get an update over the phone so it probably isn't there.  I would like to know at least what they've tried so far or whether changing out hardware would've been faster.  When I sent it in I was told it would take 7 - 10 days max.  It is probably sitting on someone's desk doing nothing, or they broke something else.  I'm active duty military and just deployed without my primary means of communication with my wife.  Lenovo won't ship my laptop here so I'm already going to have to pay to have it shipped to me after they ship it to my wife.  I'm about ready to simply tell them to send my defective laptop back and I'll send it back in after my deployment...if it doesn't break again (it has been sent in 4 times now).  If someone knows a contact number where I can raise my situation to a higher level I'd greatly appreciate it.

802.11n
Jimbo

Re: Improving Technical Support Communication?

[ Edited ]

Mikeynavy1, there have been problems booting the W510 with items plugged into a USB 3.0 port, one widespread problem being the machine not booting at all (see here, for example). The specific problem you're seeing may very well be present in all W510 units, but you may be the only person who has noticed it and also called Lenovo about it (i.e., most other people may have simply given up and settled for just avoiding the situation causing the problem, as many have done with the above USB 3.0 boot issue).

So, being an engineer myself, I can understand why the engineers want to test your machine, although they may be able to instead replicate the problem themselves in the lab with their own machines instead of yours. Thorough testing seems to have been a problem Lenovo has had with the W510, in general.

Anyway, if you want to escalate your case within Lenovo, here's how to do so. Alternately, you can PM Mark_Lenovo in this forum, who's the Lenovo employee in charge of these forums, and he's pretty good about getting to the bottom of support issues (this would be my first choice in your situation). I can see how this is a major inconvenience for you.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would do everything possible to just get the machine back. Then I would leave a USB 3.0 cable always plugged into the USB 3.0 port on the W510 (except while you're carrying it in a laptop bag, of course). After the machine boots, then I'd simply plug that cable into the USB 3.0 hub. That way, you won't wear out the USB 3.0 connector on the W510 by constantly plugging things in/out of it, while still maintaining the functionality of the hub. BUT DON'T UNPLUG THAT USB 3.0 CABLE FROM THE HUB UNTIL THE MACHINE HAS BEEN COMPLETELY SHUT DOWN!  I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Lenovo to solve such a problem.

Good luck!

Fanfold Paper
mikeynavy1

Thank you so much for the prompt response.  I thought that by sending my machine into Lenovo and describing exactly what the issue was and how to replicate it I was doing others a favor and that it was just a BIOS glitch between USB 3.0 and Bluetooth.  It sounds like the USB 3.0 issues are more than the example I'm suffering from (i.e. some people can't even get their machines to boot).  Unfortunately, my allowing my machine to be a guinea pig seems to have backfired.  I'll PM the Lenovo rep and see if he might be able to get me some answers.  Thanks again.

Fanfold Paper
mikeynavy1

Well the issue is still there.  I noticed an "update" on the automated web page so I called in.  It appears that not only have they duplicated the issue but they have now replaced the system board and the Bluetooth module and the problem persists.  The guy read off a note that when the Bluetooth is removed a USB 3.0 hub works just fine.  When the Bluetooth is installed the issue manifests.  I'm not sure but I'm hoping a BIOS fix would address this incompatibility.  I'm going to give them until Monday and then I'm going to ask for my laptop back and use the method you mentioned to at least be able to use the hub and my laptop without having to plug and unplug all the time.

Fanfold Paper
mikeynavy1

Well I've reluctantly given up.  I called today and told them to reassemble my laptop, verify that it is working as was prior to sending to them, and ship it back.  Their engineers have acknowledged that there is an issue, and supposedly have submitted information to Lenovo Headquarters.  I don't have the time to continue to let my machine be a test machine so my wife will hopefully get it back in the next two days and be able to ship it to me overseas.  For others that ever intend to hook up a USB 3.0 hub to these laptops you might want to call in and voice your concerns.