Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Chronos2x

Issue with Opitcal Drive not powering on

I don't know if everyone is experiencing this.  When I get on power management turns off my optical drive and then everytime I hit the eject button it says that power management is turning the optical drive on but it does nothing.  I went to my computer and was able to force it on long enough to get my boot media recovery disk made, but wasn't able to get my data media disk made and now it won't even allow me to turn it on.  However, I put a blank disk in when trying to create a data media disk so if I hit the eject button it will pop out the opitcal drive  but my computer keeps saying it is turned off and the data recovery is not reading that there is an E drive option to use.  Anyone else experience this issue?  Let me also note I have a w510, with windows 7 professional

Punch Card
MellowGreetings

Re: Issue with Opitcal Drive not powering on

Yeah, that kinda describes my experience as well. I can't recall exactly, but I believe it behaved like this just immediately after the install of Windows, but prior to doing a restart of any kind.

When you say it "wasn't able to get my data disk made", do you mean recovburncd.exe crashed? Do me a favor and go into the 'action center' - just type 'action center' into the 'search programs and files' off the start menu, in action center expand the 'maintenance' heading, then click on 'view reliability history'. Then in the histogram at the top, click on the day you experienced the problems (if its not already selected). If, like me, you got a crash in recovburncd.exe you should see those events listed. You should be able to click on 'Check for a solution' to report the events to winqual, and if there's a responsible human being at Lenovo, they should have mapped the recovburncd.exe executable there so they get memory dumps of crashes.

I'm wondering if maybe you and I could have avoided these problems if only we had had the foresight to do a restart first. Maybe. Maybe not.

My posting about the crash was moved over here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/crash-in-recovburncd-exe/td-p/246007

As you see there, I worked around it by running another pass and deselecting the creation of the boot disk.

What's DOS?
Chronos2x

What I meant was that I got the boot media made but the, optical drive shutdown and wouldn't boot back up.  I had to restart computer and was able to get optical drive to open and work long enough to get data media disks made.

I don't know about this issue but if I play a video on youtube I notice sometimes the audio will go up and down I would say that is the video, because it only happens here and there, but is there a reason this happens?

Fanfold Paper
ssharro

I'm having the same problem.  Did you find a solution?

Token Ring
mtissington

Are you power setting set to shut off the optical drive?