Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
danbwbr
Accepted Solution

Lenovo Thinkpad W510 hangs at Windows 7 boot screen

Having a really aggrivating issue with our new W510 Thinkpads we bought that I am having a hard time figuring out how to fix.

Here are the specs:

- W510

- Core i7-720QM 1.6

- 8GB RAM

- Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit

- Intel 80GB X25-M 2nd Gen SSD with latest firmware

The problem I keep seeing:

Sometimes while booting the system will stop during the Windows 7 boot animation (the assembling windows logo).  The only way to get out of it is to hard power off the machine.

On next boot it usually suggests running startup repair.  I run it - it finds nothing.  It shuts the laptop down. 

Generally on the next boot it works fine.  Sometimes it doesn't.

I have 20 of these laptops built off of a sysprepped image of the same format/size SSD. 

If the system boots everything works perfectly fine from then on, until some random point during a subsequent shutdown or restart it does it again.

What I've tried to fix it:

- Installed latest W510 bios (it wasnt showing up in system update so I grabbed it from the site)

Anyone else have any ideas?  This is incredibly frustrating as we just bought 20 of these and I am seeing this issue on every single one of them intermittently.

Thanks!

Punch Card
Davidvf

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad W510 hangs at Windows 7 boot screen

Have you got the Thinkpad connected to an external monitor? I had the same problem, with my W510 connected via the dock to an external monitor. The only way I could get it to boot without locking/hanging at the Windows logo was to have the external monitor unplugged at boot time.

I installed the latest Nvidia drivers 8.17.11.9716 (from the Nvidia website) and this resolved the issue for me.  

Thinkpad W540 (Model 20BG-CTO1WW) - Windows 8.1 x64 Pro - Intel Core i7-4800MQ Processor, 16GB PC3-12800 DDR3
Thinkpad X1 Carbon (Model 20A7A006AU)
Punch Card
funks

This also happens to me when I have an external monitor plugged in.  In this case, through a Display Port -> DVI Adapter plugged directly onto the laptop - no docking station.

It only happens from time to time when the external monitor is plugged in, never when it's not.

Punch Card
funks

It's probably an NVIDIA video driver issue which hopefully will get fixed soon as it's annoying and seems to be a common problem (20 of yours have the same problem)

Punch Card
funks

Davidvf wrote:

Have you got the Thinkpad connected to an external monitor? I had the same problem, with my W510 connected via the dock to an external monitor. The only way I could get it to boot without locking/hanging at the Windows logo was to have the external monitor unplugged at boot time.

I installed the latest Nvidia drivers 8.17.11.9716 (from the Nvidia website) and this resolved the issue for me.  

Any problems using the NVIDIA drivers directly?  No issues with power management, heat and etc?

Serial Port
danbwbr

Yes, they are connected to the dock and a monitor over DVI.  Interesting that it is the video card - so you can install the drivers from Nvidia's site and it fixes it?

Punch Card
funks

The Verde drivers install from Nvidia site - only problem is that some people reported one loses AUDIO over Display Port/HDMI - and the other being some sort of power management issue which may not be a good thing.

Verde Drivers - Power Mgmt Issue

Punch Card
Occam

Hi

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Thanks

600, R52, T61p, X301
Serial Port
danbwbr

I put a ticket in at lenovo about it and they acted as if they were unaware of the problem.  Have not heard anything from them in a week.  Frustrating.

Fanfold Paper
Calamari

Upgrade to Windows XP Pro from 7? :smileytongue: