I am getting my brothers laptop which he is no longer using - 

W510

Intel Core i7-Q720(1.6GHz, 8MB Cache) 
8GB DDR3 RAM (4GB + 4GB) 
125GB SSD 
15.6-inch HD Display 

nVedia Graphics
Windows 7 Professional (64bit) 

Storage memory is very less, it looks like those laptops which were manufactured during the 2000's.

I would like to upgrade. I live in the UK.

Can i have expert opinion on this ?

If the SSD for laptop with 240 GB (additional - i do not want to disturb the existing 125 GB SSD tht came with the laptop). If this is a costly affair, probable options for adding HDD without disturbing the existing factory fitted OEM's SSD would be great.

Thanks in advance for all your inputs.

Token Ring
alphaman

Re: Lenovo W510 - HDD or SSD Upgrade

Yeah the SSDs that were made in the 2000s....

You could put another drive in place of the optical drive, however I think it would be easier for you to just grab yourself a USB3.0  1TB 2.5" external HDD such as the one Ebuyer are selling for £64. Especially as you said you don't want to disturb the laptop.

WIsh someone would give me a W510 for free!

RedEd12
Topics: 5
Kudos: 59
Solutions: 13

alphaman wrote:

WIsh someone would give me a W510 for free!

Tell me about it!

I agree with alphaman regarding your comments on getting an external drive as you wish to not disturb the OEM factory settings, I use an external 2TB HDD and love it. Lenovo sells a few through the website: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/accessories/storage/hard-drives-external

There are plenty of 3rd party alternatives, I personally have a Seagate which I love but there are many great drives out there.

Enjoy your new W510!

Ed

Was this or another post on the forum helpful? Click the star on the left side of the screen to give kudos! Did someone solve a problem you encountered? Mark it as "solution provided" to help others with the same problem.
802.11n
Santoku

The SSD will be great for speeding along the Windows operating system and your software system files. I purchased the hard drive caddy (43N3412) and then a 7200rpm 500GB drive (43N3423) to go in it for general storage and application working space, and have this setup in the drive bay instead of the DVD drive. I only ever use the optical drive for installing software or burning the odd disc here and there, so having the second hard drive in the bay instead of the optical drive is no big imposition for me to simply swap them out now and then.

Paper Tape
beesathish

Guys - 

By the way

Is W510 a great laptop ????

802.11n
Santoku

The usual response is, "it depends...". For my use as a general desktop replacement for photography editing, limited video editing, lots of document and presentation development and editing, research, statistics, and general online use it has been great. It has bar-none the best keyboard, the TrackPoint is irreplaceable if you are a typer, and the build quality is excellent. It is heavy if you are looking for portability, and it is an adequate but not great gamer and/or multimedia system. I am a satisfied owner. 

Paper Tape
beesathish

Dear SANTOKU,

my brother quote 350 pounds.... should i negotiate ???  He said it hasnt been used that much and it is in a very good condition.

1 year support left on this.....

i7 1.6 ghz

8gb ram

15.46 screen

windows 7 pro 64 bit

hdmi

bluetooth

9 cell battery

128 SSD

nvidia quadro fx880m (i think it is 1 GB dedicated graphics)

Is it worth to buy or  a ok price or a over priced thing ???

How about over heating issues ??? Will it require constant cleaning  (buying compressed air container and blowing often which costs some money every now and then ???

Please let me know SANTOKU...

Token Ring
alphaman

Check eBay they usually go for around £500-£600 or sometimes more.

802.11n
Santoku

Is it a Full High Definition (FHD) screen i.e., 1920 x 1080 or the HD+ screen i.e., 1600x900 or basic HD 1366x768 ? I don't think it will have HDMI, but rather a DisplayPort, which you would need a dongle to convert to HDMI (about $30). Does it have the hardware HueyPro colour calibrator ? Fingerprint reader ?

That's a call that I can't make for you mate. It really depends on what features and performance factors you prioritize.  For 350 British Pounds (about $545 Canadian $), there are a number of basic laptops that now carry the more energy and heat efficient i5 dual core processors, but probably only come with 4-6GB RAM, however you can bring those up to 8GB yourself for about $50. Do you need now or in the future, quad core processing ? Systems  from Dell, Asus, etc. will probably be better multimedia systems, and lighter as well. The Thinkpad's are business-class laptops, and will likely be more solid, and reliable rather than slick and quick. I chose my W510 over the Dell XPS 15 wtih similar specs and price because I valued the ThinkPad keyboard and TrackPoint, the matte FHD screen I have, and the color calibrator.

I would suggest making yourself a list of laptop features and then prioritizing them for yourself. Then see what other laptops are available for your price point, and compare your valued featrues to the W510 and similarly priced systems, and that will help you make an informed choice. Hope that helps.

Paper Tape
financeguy

If you have the SSD drive, you may very well have the 1.8 inch drive installed. If you flip the machine over there is only one screw holding in the cover for the W510 and you can verify what size hard drive is in the machine.

Most of the SSD drives are in 2.5 inch size and you will need to change the hard drive caddy to accomodate this change. Pretty easy to order one from aftermarket resellers just make sure the hard drive caddy will fit your machine. I assume one is available from Lenovo but honestly I have never seen a company make it harder to buy replacement parts.