Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
jtwaleson

Re: Lenovo W510 with 90W adapter - Reduced Performance

I tried to reproduce this, and it does work. I was a bit afraid that it might blow up the pc but it didn't. Thanks a lot!!!

Blue Screen Again
highroller

Has anyone else tried this. I am contemplating doing it because of the reasons on these thread.

Fanfold Paper
thhart

The solution of SUN sounds quite tested. But I believe it is inacceptable for common users. Is there any progress in this issue. As others already posted I think as well the BIOS could handle this better than simply throttling so much. There are so much power supplies around and I would like to use a 90W as well. But it throttles for me as well. My system uses not more than 45W even when cores are in turbo boost (tested this with power supply removed).

Please Lenovo have a look into this.

Thanks

Fanfold Paper
jetpowercom

This is a strange one; it makes little sense that any adapter that boosts available power should compromise the display and performance.  

Very few users will be able to take advantage of Sun's helpful suggestion, simply because many of us are not authorized to void the unit's warranty.  

The issue demands immediate vendor attention.  Lenovo needs to step up here, and soon.

Paper Tape
rotorboy

Re: Lenovo W701ds with Lenovo 230W adapter - Reduced Performance

Greetings.
I've received this same error using the 230W adapter supplied by Lenovo with my W701ds system.  The machine only arrived 4 days ago.  Combined with some other problems...  Lenovo wants to send me a replacement system.

What's DOS?
LiebermanD

The solution is the development of a compact 135 watt supply. This could have thermal protection and probably would function well everywhere except in very hot conditions.

Paper Tape
bladesan

This is the solution I found it was working for me (W510 & 90W supply).

Before that my computer has constantly decreased performance when some CPU intensive (or not) action was invoked.

For example slow window drawing in Win7, choppy youtube playback, slow code compiling, slow game performance (poping audio) ...

The solution:

In the Power Manager in Basic settings slide the slider all the way to the right, so that green sign and Congratulations! appears. That's it .. the computer will set brightness to 0, so adjust that to your liking and you are all set.

No more performance issues and choppy video playback on 90W supply :smileyhappy: ... at least on my Lenovo :smileyhappy:

Can someone try this and report back!

p.s: All that remains to solve now is this annoying whine noise when on battery :smileyhappy: .. just like a dying power supply on deskop computers

Punch Card
halobox

bladesan wrote:

The solution:

In the Power Manager in Basic settings slide the slider all the way to the right, so that green sign and Congratulations! appears. That's it .. the computer will set brightness to 0, so adjust that to your liking and you are all set.

No more performance issues and choppy video playback on 90W supply

So you aren't seeing any loss of performance?  What does your Windows Experience Index value look like after making this changed and re-running the assessment?

Paper Tape
bladesan

Nope .. there is no loss of performance - youtube 1080p is working like a charm and I just re-run Experience index which is 5.9 (CPU = 7.1) with both 90W and 135W.

Try it yourself .. you can always slide it back to High Performance if it doesn't work for you.

Punch Card
halobox

Thanks.  I'll runs some tests tomorrow.