Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
cacocoash
Accepted Solution

Lenovo W510 with 90W adapter - Reduced Performance

When using 90w adapter with Lenovo W510 the performance is reduced even when the system shows low power consumption (40W).  if you switch to battery - strangely, the performance improves.

It is understandable that the performance will be limited (reduced CPU and GPU clock speed) under 90w power supply (to protect the adapter) but it shouldn't be limited immediately.  if I watch a video it doesn't really work with the 90w travel adapter (very very slow) - then I take the power cord out and WOW everything works fine...

The bios should be fixed so that the clock limit will kick in only when the power consumption goes up.  otherwise, when you travel with this expensive machine you have to either carry the super heav y 135w adapter or get a performance of a net book....

Does anyone know about a fix?

Paper Tape
cacocoash

Re: Lenovo W510 with 90W adapter - Reduced Performance

[ Edited ]

When using 90w adapter the performance is reduced even when the system shows low power consumption (40W).  if you switch to battery - strangely, the performance improves.

It is understandable that the performance will be limited (reduced CPU and GPU clock speed) under 90w power supply (to protect the adapter) but it shouldn't be limited immediately.  if I watch a video it doesn't really work with the 90w travel adapter - then I take the power cord out and WOW everything works fine...

The bios should be fixed so that the clock limit will kick in only when the power consumption goes up.  otherwise, when you travel with this expensive machine you have to either carry the super heav y 135w adapter or get a performance of a net book....

Does anyone know about a fix?

Token Ring
don820

I do not know of a fix -- but I experienced the exact same problem.

I've just relented and bought a couple of 135w power supplies for travel, work and home.

I agree that it's absurd to have better performance on BATTERY than the 90w power supply...  Even if the option is that the batery doesn't charge, or even drains, it's quite silly as-is.

Paper Tape
cacocoash

Technically, it should be a very simple bios fix.  the power consumption normally doesn't go over 90W (even with video and max performance selected in the power options) so theoretically you can easily get all the performance you need and charge the battery at the same time.

If the power consumption should exceed 90W then the user should have an option (in the power options) to take the additional power from the battery (just as in hybrid cars) or to limit the clock speed of the processors.

I think that it is unreasonable for lenovo to expect people to travel with the huge 135W adapter.  If they won't provide a fix then this very expensive and powerful system is not really a traveling laptop - it becomes a heavy desktop...

Paper Tape
ataferner

I too would love this to be addressed.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
shermanwoo

I have this same issue. Performance with the 135W p/s is great; with the 90W, it's pathetic, even when I see the turbo boost kick in, it's still noticeably slower (3x slower in once repeated operation). The silly thing is when I bought the ThinkPad online in February, there wasn't an option for any other power supply other than the 90W. While I don't want to travel with a big 135W p/s, I would like at least the same performance at work and at home, but not have to lug around the p/s back and forth. Might be time to call Lenovo and see if they will send a 135W.

Punch Card
Jesper_Juul

That is very weird, I've tested my W510 with an 90 watt adapter, and I get no performance change at all. I've tried with Wprime, Prime95 and 3dMark2006 and I get exactly the same scores with the 90 watt adapter as I do with the 135 watt adapter, I wonder if it has something to do with 110/220V ?

Kind Regards
Jesper

T61P and 2*T43P
Punch Card
twu2

The performance only drop if use multiple core.

try to run multiple super pi program when use 90W adapter, then you will get the poor performance result.

Punch Card
Jesper_Juul

I did, Prime95 uses all four cores (8 with hyperthreading).

Kind Regards
Jesper

T61P and 2*T43P
Blue Screen Again
nickjkay

Funy that I found this thread, tried iplayer HD last night-was about to test the nice FHD screen in bed got though I'd test it out first before I took out the PSU. 

Though it was a 64bit thing, did a rebuild in 32 bit.  Took out the PSU and it was fixed!  This beast requies a 135 watt PSU, no way around it, I'm going to order one in now.