Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
JulieP

Lenovo service broke my hard drive!

I sent my W700 in to have the x-rite colorimeter checked, as it  was giving a green cast when I calibrated. Also, the usb ports were touchy and would disconnect if bumped.  The last time I sent it in, they didn't hook back up the pen tablet(my mother board fried the first week I had it)

They sent it back with a fried hard drive!!! It worked fine on Monday, I did a sales presentation on it, boxed it up and sent it off. They sent it back with a note that the hard drive was bad and that I wouldn't give them permission to re-image it.  They NEVER called. I put a note in with my name and phone number specifically telling them what was wrong and to call if they had any questions. No call and they returned it unusable.

The tech support on the phone is pleasant, but, wtf??  This is my livelhood and I didn't deactivate my copy of photoshop, I had a copy of CS5 I got as a beta tester(which I can't get again without buying it) and now it will have to be wiped out. 

Is there anyone that can help? Anyone I can contact?? This is just not ok. They are acting like I sent it in broken and shouldnt' be surprised it is still broken. 

Fanfold Paper
JulieP

Re: Lenovo service broke my hard drive!

And to add insult to injury, they didn't even fix the X rite colorimeter that I sent it in for.  Can anyone help me get in touch with someone who can help me get it FIXED.  Really, I just want them to send me the parts and let my husband fix it as the service center doesn't seem capable to do so.  Everytime it goes, it comes back with new problems. Sigh.

802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

JulieP, I'm sorry to hear about your problem. Here are a few pointers that may save you and others much grief in the future, and help you get your computer working ASAP. I have no connection with Lenovo other than being a customer like yourself.

If you depend on your computer for your work, then you have to back up your hard drive. If you can't afford to lose it, then you can't afford to not back it up. I prefer to backup using disk imaging software (e.g., Acronis True Image), running from a boot CD, as I've found that type of backup to be more reliable than other types. I never allow any backup software to be installed in my system -- I instead always run it ONLY from a boot CD. You can backup to a second partition on your system disk, to a second drive inside your computer, or to an external USB drive (the slowest option). If you don't keep data or documents on your System drive, then you won't have to backup the System drive very often, as it seldom changes very much, aside from when you install new software. From time to time, save a copy of your backup files to external media or optical discs (preferably re-writable Blu-Ray, or as a second choice re-writable DVDs). After saving a copy, make sure that the copy is valid. If you're saving to an external drive, then you can boot to your backup software and have it validate the copied files. If you're instead saving to optical discs, make sure you run the data verification step that your disc-burning software provides. Always alternate between two different sets of external media or optical discs, in case one set fails or is damaged. Make two copies of any particularly important backup. You'll be fairly bullet-proof at that point.

If you send any computer to anyone for repair, you must assume they will trash your hard drive. Again, make a backup copy on external media before sending it in.

I've worn out USB ports on various computers from various manufacturers. To fix them often means a tricky and expensive replacement of the motherboard. So on desktop computers I keep a USB extension cable plugged into one of the USB ports, then plug devices in and out of that as needed. On laptops I use what's called a "FlexUSB Adapter," and plug USB devices in and out of that. Better to wear out an inexpensive cable or adapter than to have a motherboard replaced. Plus you'll eliminate the resulting downtime, service call, and the possibility that a tech will screw up your computer. The "FlexUSB Adapter" has the additional advantage that it flexes if you accidentally hit or snag whatever is connected to it, thus preventing the USB device, or the port on the computer itself, from being damaged. For laptops, it's a lifesaver (BTW, do NOT leave the FlexUSB adapter plugged in, when the laptop is in it's case!).

Whenever possible, buy onsite service with your warranty. That way, you can make sure the tech doesn't leave until the computer is fixed, or that it is at least left in a usable condition. I sit and watch them do the repair. I'm an electrical engineer, but you don't have to be an engineer to watch them and ask questions. I've never met a tech who minded having me watch, and I wouldn't care if they did mind, so don't feel intimidated to watch (it's your right). There's much less downtime this way, and much less chance of them screwing up the computer. Plus your computer won't be sitting in a service facility, waiting for parts. That's because the tech won't come out to do the repair until he or she has the parts in hand (usually the next day). If your time is worth money, then the cost of onsite service is a pittance to pay. While you're under warranty, you may still be able to purchase an onsite service contract.

You should do the above no matter who the manufacturer of the computer is. Protect yourself, because no one else will.

Finally, I'm going to paraphrase/excerpt part of an excellent post by one of the experienced moderators here, lead_org, on how to escalate your case at Lenovo (I'd give you a link to his post, but my link to it is no longer working):

Call Lenovo service again, and quote the old service number you have. Tell them that you want a customer service satisfaction officer to be assigned to your case (take down the name of the representative on the phone, and the time you called). 

1. Tell them what the problems are with the repair done by the repair center.

2. Take photos of any physical damage that you feel was caused by the repair center.

3. Put everything in a word document, annotate your photos with captions explaining the position of the damage and how it occured.

4. Pdf the document. 

Usually the customer satisfaction officer, would call back within 3 to 5 working days. Take down the name of the customer satisfaction officer assigned to you, and ask for their email and direct landline telephone number. If they don't call you back within the promised period, give them a call to remind them of the case.

Be calm and don't be rude, explain to them what happened as best as you could.

Anyway, knowledge is power, and you now have some new knowledge. Best of luck, JulieP!

Jimbo
The ThinkPad W700 Resources Page

Fanfold Paper
JulieP

I always back up all my files, especially the photos(on multiple hard drives) I do have a back up of my Quickbooks and of my email(now) I had one, but, it wasn't recent enough. Thankfully I can still access the drive, it just won't run.  Its just going to be a serious pita with my programs and serial numbers.  I'll have to step up and buy CS5 now.

I will do as you suggested and I am going to see if they will just send me a new palm rest and let my husband deal with the colorimeter.  It does not do *anything* now. No before or after. Just nothing.  It beeps like its working but makes absolutely no changes. 

Obviously I am a little of a Pollyana and it just never crossed my mind that a company like Lenovo would trash my hard drive, send it back broken and then not fix the problem I had to begin with!

Blue Screen Again
Ingvarr

[ Edited ]

It may be a little late in this case, but just for the future - it's always a good idea to do regular full backups (by full I mean the whole hard drive image).

Hard drives tend to fail unpredictably. Even with SMART it's still possibility that one day it will just refuse to start and you will be left dry.

Also laptops are stolen sometimes, fried by power surges, you imagine. Just buy a USB hard drive of same or bigger capacity (it's quite cheap these days), and do full backups once in a month or so. Make sure you don't store your backup drive with the laptop (I just leave mine on my office desk while laptop is at home).

This way if anything ever happens to your laptop/main hard drive, you can be restore everything in almost no time, instead of tediosly doing reinstalls/restore by pieces.

Fanfold Paper
JulieP

That is a very good idea. I have a stack of 1tb hard drives(and a few smaller)  and to be truthful, I just have always been worried about the files(photos)  I will have to learn the whole image thing so I can easily put it back together.

I still can't figure out what they did to it. The hard drive itself is testing ok.  This drive I am using will serve as a emergency one if something like this happens again. 

It is just hard to understand how I can send it off for a minor problem, have them not address it at all and then ruin the hard drive. The problem was in the palm rest. Not the hard drive.  I feel like asking them "What the heck did you do?"

Fanfold Paper
JulieP

I have a new palmrest on its way, a new hard drive on its way, the screen is new as is the motherboard. So, the one positive is I have almost a totally new computer. Gotta at least look on the bright side...

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

[ Edited ]

"Always look at the bright side of like" ---- Monty Python

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
Ingvarr

[ Edited ]

JulieP wrote:

I will have to learn the whole image thing so I can easily put it back together.

It's quite easy to do in Windows 7 (or maybe even Vista) - just go to Backup and Restore and choose "Create a system image". No need for any separate software, and system image can be always restored if you just boot in the recovery mode using standard installation DVD or using recovery option in boot menu.

Hope it goes well with replacement. Colorimeters never worked well for me, after trying both hueyPro and Spyder 3 pro I had to tweak color balance manually at the end.

Punch Card
dimm0k

Can you please be a little more specific on your issue with the HDD that got messed up?  If you can actually access the files off the HDD, then there is a possibility of saving/retrieving the serial numbers for your programs.