Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
jonathan7007

Migration steps to an Intel mSATA unit

Hello All:

In a July thread in this Forum harrisb reported his experiences installing an "OEM" mSATA (Intel 310 80Gig unit. I never became clear to me whether forarmed with the Intel Migration Assistant software I would need to clone my current state of C:/.

I have had the W520 for a couple of weeks and installed much of what will go on the system, but not yet the Adobe creative programs. Planning that soon... but perhaps I should wait until the little solid state energizer bunny is in there and settled in.

1. Can I download and use the Intel Migration sw even if I have the OEM drive? (I figured I could but have to know for sure...)

2. Will that software clone the necessary OS files without trying to stuff my data in the SSD? Do I just tell the sw which folders hold only data? Could it be that easy?

3. Does this all happen with the drives installed inside the W520 case or do I have to get an external enclosure/HD connector? (suspect the sw can do this without taking machine apart...)

4. Is Intel able to align the sectors of the bits that get moved with their SDD hardware without a second step to do so?

NewEgg selling the Intel 310 80Gig for $192. As a commercial photographer planning to use this for photo/multimedia editing and tethered shooting I hope for gains in speed. I might put a small scratch disk on the SSD during editing sessions. (If there's room!)

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks, in advance,

jonathan 7007

4276-37U -- W520. Still have an X61t. First laptop in my house was an Osborne! Now that was a cool computer. (...for its time!)
Token Ring
jonathan7007

Re: Migration steps to an Intel mSATA unit

Sorry-- Forgot to ask...

5. What capabilities are lost when the card already in that slot is removed? I don't use a cell-system antenna and account, which is what I understand the WLAN to refer to. I have seen pictures of the card that comes out, but don't know what everyone is giving up.

Again, thanks for ideas and shared experiences.

jonathan7007

4276-37U -- W520. Still have an X61t. First laptop in my house was an Osborne! Now that was a cool computer. (...for its time!)
Guru
ColonelONeill

You give up the WWAN card, which is used for accessing cellular data networks. If you didn't order a WWAN card with the machine, the slot should be empty.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Guru
harrisb

[ Edited ]

I copied the System_DRV volume and the C: volume (Windows 7 + applications) to the SSD using Ghost 15. The only issue that I encountered was that I had to remove the HDD from which I had done the copy for the first boot. Otherwise, Windows got confused. It was important to not assign any drive letter(s) to the copied disk volumes. I was able to reinstall the 500gb HDD after the first windows boot and shutdown. The boot time with all the Lenovo tools installed, Office 2010, Skype, Live Messenger, Photoshop, Acrobat, and numerous other apps/drivers takes about 20s from Windows start to useable desktop. Sure beats the 2m28s that I was getting on the "optimized" 500gb HDD.

The Intel Migration Assitant is an OEM version of Acronis for which I've no experience. Everything is done within the physical confines of the W520. Note that I removed the HDD after I shutdown the system after the copy finished and before rebooting the system. After the first boot with the mSata only, I shutdown again, reinserted the HDD and rebooted. I chose to set the former Windows 7 C: partition to W: for convenience. Ghost 15 will maintain the alignment on the mSata.

I have over 20GB free space after 5 months of operation. The access time for the SSD has stayed fairly constant according to CrystalDisk which I recently reran (posted previously). I did replace the original Seagate 500GB HDD with an Hitachi 750GB HDD last month (Newegg was having a very good sale on the drive).

You should install the Intel SSD Toolbox to run the optimizer every week to keep the drive at peak performance.

W520, i7-2820QM, BIOS 1.42, 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 2000M NVIDIA GPU, Samsung 840 Pro 480GB SSD, Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0, eSata Plextor PX-LB950UE BluRay

W520, i7-2760QM, BIOS 1.42 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 1000M NVIDIA GPU, Crucial M500 480GB mSata SSD, Hitachi 500GB HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0
Token Ring
jonathan7007

harrisb, thaqnk you! Very clear and as I suspected. I might order one of those intel units tonight... my poor checkbook. so sad... I'm going to love it!
jonathan7007
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

You should install the Intel SSD Toolbox to run the optimizer every week to keep the drive at peak performance.

harrisb,

Is that really necessary with Win7?  I don't have any evidence either way but I thought Win7's native TRIM support was all that was needed for a modern SSD.

Guru
harrisb

[ Edited ]

I understand that Windows 7 natively supports the TRIM functionality, but in an Intel forum, it was suggested that the SSD toolbox optimizer also be run every week. It certainly doesn't hurt anything and the driver performance has stayed the same since installation 5 months ago, From the Intel website:

"....Intel recommends running the Intel Optimizer once a day. Since the total execution time for running the Intel SSD Optimizer runs in a matter of seconds and there is no known risk of harm to the SSD due to continuous repeated use, Intel recommends scheduling the Intel SSD Optimizer to run on a daily basis. Overuse does not cause problems with the SSD but wastes system resources to run the optimizer more than is recommended...."

Intel 310 Series 80GB mSATA mSATA (mini PCIe form factor) MLC Enterprise Solid State Disk SSDMAEMC080G2C1 - OEM

• Sustained Sequential Read: Up to 200MB/s
  • Sustained Sequential Write: Up to 70MB/s
  • 4KB Random Read: Up to 35,000 IOPS
  • 4KB Random Write: Up to 6,600 IOPS
  • Model #: SSDMAEMC080G2C1

IntelSSD.PNG

Original installation performance run (Intel 310 80GB mSata SSD):

Intel_mSATA.PNG

Latest performance run (Intel 310 80GB mSata SSD):

Capture1.PNG

W520, i7-2820QM, BIOS 1.42, 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 2000M NVIDIA GPU, Samsung 840 Pro 480GB SSD, Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0, eSata Plextor PX-LB950UE BluRay

W520, i7-2760QM, BIOS 1.42 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 1000M NVIDIA GPU, Crucial M500 480GB mSata SSD, Hitachi 500GB HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0
RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

Jonathan:

I have just ordered an Intel 310 80 gig mSATA card to put in my W520 - to replace the WWAN card.  Hopefully it will arrive later this week.

I will be installing Adobe CS 5.5.

If you can hang on till the end of the week, I'll let you know how things go for me, and what the results are.

I'm going to follow the instructions and procedures that are posted at these links (there are 3 posts, read them in sequence):

Primitive but Effective 3

Primitive but Effective 4

Primitive but Effective 5

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Token Ring
jonathan7007

Michael,

Mine comes tomorrow... lots going on here so may not get to install it right away. Thanks for the links! They look like excellent help.  I clicked on the first one and the picture that pops up makes a W520 look like a bucket of loose components (at a distance with the keyboard removed...  doesn't sound as funny writing it... maybe you had to be there.) Anyway, I am not worried about the mechanical issues of the install. I just want to avoid having to reinstall the OS and everything else.

I am kicking myself about having gone ahead and set this machine up as much as I have -- when in the back of my mind I KNEW I was going to do this sooner or later -- and it turned out to be *sooner*. I have had the W520 about 2 weeks.

jonathan7007

RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

jonathan7007 wrote:

...I just want to avoid having to reinstall the OS and everything else.

Hi Jonathan:

From what I have read so far (I am no expert on this matter), the little bit of software that comes from Intel to assist you in migrating all the appropriate stuff to the mSATA card - you referred to it in your first post - should be enough to allow you to put the part inside the computer and get it running without having to do a new build from scratch.

In my case, by coincidence, I have three major upgrades of very large applications that I use (CS 4 to 5.5, a huge global flight planning suite, and a full version upgrade of a huge CAD application), so, I'm going to rebuild the system from scratch, using the Lenovo Recovery Media, just to keep things as lean and clean as I can.  I've only had the W520 for a couple of months, but my past experience has been that when I do a bunch of major upgrades on really large application suites, that tends to make the computer kind of soggy and slow - not to mention all the junk from the prior application versions that gets left behind in the nooks and crannies of the hard drive.

I'll take some pictures to illustrate the process of taking the WWAN card out and putting the mSATA card in and post those pictures here.  I don't think that will be a difficult task at all, from what I have read in the Hardware Maintenance Manual and from the various Lenovo movies that I have seen, it appears to be very straightforward, kind of on part with installing memory chips.

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...