Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Guru
harrisb

Re: Migration steps to an Intel mSATA unit

[ Edited ]

Michael,

May I respectfully suggest a simpler approach following my migration suggestions posted within this thread. The Intel Migration tool is an OEM version of Acronis TIH, but I suggest Ghost 15 as a better migration and backup solution, and it also allows for a fallabck should a problem arise with the migration. Also, I just hate to reinstall applications that are working perfectly. I too have CS5 installed in my system. Additionally, I've experienced no alignment issues on the SSD.

Some additions to my original post:

• Turn off hibernation and reboot to eliminate the hibernate.sys hidden file
  • Before you migrate the original C:\ drive, install, shrink the partition via the computer managerment tools in
         Windows 7 to a minium amount.
  • Create a new simple volume D:\for your data files, etc.
  • Clone the original C:\ drive and the System_DRV via Ghost 15. Follow the original instructions that I posted.
  • After sucessfully rebooting with the mStata drive as C:\ and the original Windows7_OS partition now as W:\
  • Copy the contents of C:\SWTOOLS to D:\SWTOOLS and then ONLY delete the files in the subfolders within the
         C:\SWTOOLS leaving the subfolders intact.. You can't completely eliminate the folder itself because the update app  
         wants to place future updates there.

W520, i7-2820QM, BIOS 1.42, 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 2000M NVIDIA GPU, Samsung 840 Pro 480GB SSD, Crucial M500 mSata 480GB, WD 2TB USB 3.0, eSata Plextor PX-LB950UE BluRay

W520, i7-2760QM, BIOS 1.42 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 1000M NVIDIA GPU, Crucial M500 480GB mSata SSD, Hitachi 500GB HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0
RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

Hi Harris:

Thanks very much for your suggestions, they are carefully thought out and well expressed.  I am going to have to go sit under a tree and ponder what to do next.  To tell you the truth, I think I have kind of screwed up my computer over the past two months (adding and removing too much stuff), and a couple of my applications are not working 100% perfectly, so, there are "other attractions" arguing in favour of just nuking the thing and building it up from scratch.

About the RapidDrive technology that you mentioned - I have noticed this once before this week, while I was doing research, and it is fascinating.  But I have a couple of concerns about it:

1) Lenovo indicates that it is intended specifically for the 'Idea' series of computers, not for the W series.

2) If it was a simple tool that just moved all the 'Documents and Settings' over to the mechanical drive, and did whatever housekeeping was needed to put up pointers to the applications telling them that Documents and Settings could be found on the mechanical drive (presumably this will be the D: drive), then it would be perfect.  But, some of the Lenovo literature I have read states that it does more than this, it creates sort of a 'fake RAID' disk, or somehow spans two physically different drives so that the computer considers them to be one.  Can you shed any light on this?

There is additional discussion of this RapidDrive technology at this post: Lenovo RapidDrive.

There is also a description of the technology in the Lenovo Blogs at this link, although that is quite old (from January 2010); and an undated elaboration about the technology at this link.  Both of those publications suggest it has not been rolled out for all Lenovo ThinkPads, only certain series.

Let me know your thoughts about RapidDrive, in light of the above concerns.

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Guru
harrisb

[ Edited ]

The RapdiDrive Advanced was offered as one of the application from System Update. The readme file inidcates that is works on the W520. The Users folder includes the Documents and Setting as well as the Desktop so that advantage of moving that to the HDD is obvious. Also, if you decide not to keep the application installed, you can easier revert to the original configuration during the unitall process.

Lenovo RapidDrive Advanced provides optimized storage and system performance by placing critical operating system and application files on the faster storage provided by the solid state drive (SSD). To optimize storage capacity, key User Libraries and folders are placed on the larger hard disk drive (HDD).

In addition, your most frequently used files are automatically backed up to the SSD. This feature provides redundancy for these files and emergency recovery in case of a HDD failure.

W520, i7-2820QM, BIOS 1.42, 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 2000M NVIDIA GPU, Samsung 840 Pro 480GB SSD, Crucial M500 mSata 480GB, WD 2TB USB 3.0, eSata Plextor PX-LB950UE BluRay

W520, i7-2760QM, BIOS 1.42 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 1000M NVIDIA GPU, Crucial M500 480GB mSata SSD, Hitachi 500GB HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0
Token Ring
jonathan7007

Non-expert here, but I have some thoughts to throw out about Rapid share.

The idea is good but there are issues if two conditions occur:

1. Failure of one of the two storage components

...leaves you without either files or an operational machine. (this may be why harrisb is advocating a redundant boot capability in the spinning drive.) The last "reply" -- from April 2011 -- in the blog entry about RapidShare tells of one user's frustration that his three-month-old Y560 laptop left him unable to use any of the existing recovery tools to get files off the failed drive *combination*. It's not a well-developed environment yet. So there's a hard-to-quantify risk borne by the user for the improvement offered by the drivers.

And presumably the LACK of the drivers only forces a little more management on the user. Management like, "Where do I install this?" asked once in a while. Management like habitually parsimonious allocation of SSD space. I get it that there are users who don't want to do this.

2. Mismanagement of space allocation by the drivers.

I find the SSD-in-PCI mSATA compelling because I have to use heavier software tools like Photoshop, Creative Suite, Lightroom, multimedia tools. Maybe some light-duty video editing in the near future. I have a 128Gig SSD holding the OS and most programs in my desktop Win7 machine and I worry about the room the Programs and resulting support folders take in that unit. So I am wary of any automatic management of a smaller mSATA 80 gig unit holding mostly the same programs for my laptop.

I can't check the desktop now as I am away from home but I think I have only 30-40Gig free on that drive. I keep the page file on one of the hard drives, too, not the SSD. It seemed logical but I read in the RapidShare info that Lenovo puts in back on the SSD.  (Remember when my 30Gig remainder was bigger than the main drive in a desktop?) I know I could learn more about how to keep the SSD from filling but I have to stop Win7 learning and research somewhere to get business stuff done.

I use Mozy for off-site cloud storage and during this year will switch to smaller player Carbonite. I wonder if services like this would be able to use the "merged" disks with their unusual drivers. I am guessing they would not.

In RapidShare, what extra problems would be posed by needing to swap the 500Gig HD for a 1TB unit as my needs grew?

Just posing questions.

So, for my installation of an mSATA, I think I would keep them visible as two separate drives so I can see where the space and speed are being applied/used.

jonathan7007

4276-37U -- W520. Still have an X61t. First laptop in my house was an Osborne! Now that was a cool computer. (...for its time!)
RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

Harris, Jonathan:

Thanks very much to both of you for your replies, I really appreciate your thoughts.

Harris - would you please provide me with a hyperlink to the location where the RapidDrive Advanced application is stored?  Most especially to the 'Read Me' file you referred to?  I have been having an awful time trying to locate this file using the usual methods, and have never succeeded in finding the Read Me file for this installation.

(Going out to the Purolator courier office to pick up the 'magic mSATA chip' at this moment... :smileyhappy:  - it finally arrived )

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Guru
harrisb

[ Edited ]

The product appears to have vanished! The URLs point to null content! I suspect the product was pulled. Skip the RapidDrive Advanced steps for the moment and just move the SWTOOLS folder to the D:\ drive. My current configuration has more than 20.3 GB free with CS5.5, OmniPage 18 OCR software, Roxio 2011 Creator Suite, MS Office, Norton Security, and lots of misc applications. I have not moved the SWTOOLS folder because I don't need the space on the SSD, but it would yield 4.8GB in its current state.

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

It was yanked while we fix all the problems that were pointed out here in the forum.

Guru
harrisb

Aha! At least I didn't imagine it! :smileyhappy:

RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

[ Edited ]

SomeOtherGuy:

Thanks for your candor about that little application.  I kind of suspected that it had been removed from circulation (although a copy still exists  on the Lenovo website - but just the application, no read-me).

It sounds like it is a good idea and I think it will add a lot of value to Lenovo laptops.  One of the most significant reasons why I keep buying Lenovo (and don't shop other brands) is because of the extra value that comes in the form of the Lenovo ThinkVantage Technologies applications - for example, System Update, Rescue and Recovery, the Power Manager, and the 'oops I just dropped the computer' application that protects the hard drive.

So, I encourage you and your team to keep on working on RapidDrive.  In the meantime, I think I will try the more complex installation strategy presented at the Primitive but Effective website.  Although it is labour-intensive, it is conceptually quite simple.  You might want to consider adding a "less sophisticated" installation option to the next release of RapidDrive that simply tells the computer to put the OS and the applications on the mSATA chip, and put all the user data (stuff from the 'Users' folder) on the D: drive - in other words, the same thing as the Primitive but Effective write-up presents.  Although that is not as snazzy or elegant as the original RapidDrive concept that is presented here, sometimes, a simpler approach such as that is really all that most people really need.

Michael

Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

PanEuropean:

read my other posts about the difference between "Rapid Drive" and "RapidDrive Advanced".  Your links are about "Rapid Drive" which is something completely different.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/Lenovo-RapidDrive/m-p/593761#M18204