Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

Re: Migration steps to an Intel mSATA unit

SomeOtherGuy:

Thanks very much for drawing my attention to the difference between the two 'technologies'.  I was unaware that they were different until you pointed it out - I thought that the 'Advanced' part of the nomenclature simply indicated a newer release of the same thing.

I read the other thread - fascinating information - I think that once you get this new 'RapidDrive Advanced' application perfected, it will be very useful and will add a lot of value to the ThinkPad.

I did my mSATA install yesterday, using the procedures described at the 'Primitive but Effective' website that I referenced earlier.  I think those procedures are (more or less) a manual way of doing some of the work that 'RapidDrive Advanced' will do in the future.  So far, I am really delighted with the results - the computer is blazing fast, and everything is working very well.  I have lost a little bit of the Lenovo customizations (customized help menu, unique ThinkPad icon in the 'Devices and Printers' folder, etc.) because I installed from Microsoft W7 Pro SP1 media, rather than from the recovery disk.  I did that because I wanted to enable the UEFI function, and I was not able to boot the recovery disks with the BIOS configured for UEFI only (additional information about that task here). 

But, that will give me something to do this weekend - to go rummaging and searching through the Community forums to find out how to restore that brand-specific functionality.

By the way - thanks for your support of us end users through your contributions here in the forum, that is very much appreciated.  Also, if you are in the same office as Joanne Yoo, please say hello and thanks to her for me, she assisted me with the purchase of the new W520 and, as you can tell, I am very happy with it.

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Token Ring
jonathan7007

All Right! Finally tonight got this little guy (Intel 80Gig mSATA) into my W520. I chose the easier recovery method over the clean install option. At the same time I chose to install a Hitachi 750Gig 7200rpm hard drive, which meant that I kept the shipped 500 as a emergency boot drive with the boot partition shrunk but still available as a emergency boot option.

I write here to ask if anyone else had such a large Lenovo_Recovery partition result from this operation: mine is 31.6 Gig. Wow! That left me with 20-something Gigs before installs. The details: right after the setup I had a C: drive of 42 Gigs, with 15 Gig free, and the Sys partition of 1.17 Gig, and finally, Lenovo_Recovery at 31.25Gig. 

I went it and changed the Page File, disabled hibernation. I guess I "found" some more space because I have installed Office Pro Plus and have 17Gig free. But I have yet to install Kaspersky, Adobe Creative Suite 4 and Photoshop 5.And fonts...

Now, if I successfully migrate the Lenovo_Recovery partition to the Hard Drive, I will have a lot more breathing room. I read different results for the ability of the blue ThinkVantage button to be able to open the necessary process if the partition gets moved to a different physical drive. I *have* to move this but hope someone knows how to be sure the ThinkVantage stuff I choose to keep will work from D:.

Good thread over at tabletpcreview about mSATA installs. Lots of details and anecdotes that go on for 24 pages.Can't find it right now and will post back with a link when I can get at the stored OneNote data on my newly (re-)set up w520.

Thanks to all for the replies to this thread. Seemed right to come back to the original thread rather than start another.

20-second boot. I love it.

jonathan7007

4276-37U -- W520. Still have an X61t. First laptop in my house was an Osborne! Now that was a cool computer. (...for its time!)
Guru
harrisb

Jonathan,

As long as you've created the Recovery Discs, you really don't need the "Q" partition. The original 500GB HDD still contains that partition and you can always recreate the system from that as well. I have found that Rescue and Recovery too limiting in its functionality (with 33 considerations and restrictions) and it will only back up one drive anyway. That means that only your mSata drive would receive coverage and not the HDD. I suggest that you either use Ghost 15 or Acronis True Image Home to backup your storage devices. I personally use Ghost 15 to backup the system to a NAS device via the network. My current C:\ partition usage is 53GB which includes every installed application on my system (Adobe CS5.5, Acrobat Pro, MS Office 2010, etc). Send the pagefile.sys to the D: drive, eliminate the recovery partition and you'll have considerable free space on your SSD.

W520, i7-2820QM, BIOS 1.42, 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 2000M NVIDIA GPU, Samsung 840 Pro 480GB SSD, Crucial M500 mSata 480GB, WD 2TB USB 3.0, eSata Plextor PX-LB950UE BluRay

W520, i7-2760QM, BIOS 1.42 1920x1080 FHD, 32 GB RAM, 1000M NVIDIA GPU, Crucial M500 480GB mSata SSD, Hitachi 500GB HDD, WD 2TB USB 3.0
Token Ring
jonathan7007

Harrisb,

Thank you for your thoughtful and useful information and examples throughout this thread. They have been very helpful.

I did plan to get that Q:/ partition off the mSATA SSD so thank you for adding a vote of confidence that it will not cause me issues. I have lots of Adobe creative suite software to install today and it will be interesting to see how much space remains at the end of the process.

Best regards,

jonathan7007

4276-37U -- W520. Still have an X61t. First laptop in my house was an Osborne! Now that was a cool computer. (...for its time!)