Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
pkellner
Accepted Solution

Need to Repave my W520 with Windows 7 Ultimate, Use Vanilla Windows?

I replaced my boot drive with a blazing fast OCZ sata3 SSD drive by using acronis's cloning software. It almost went perfect.  OCZ says I should reinstall from scratch. I'm having strange intermitent hanging behavior that I'd like to lose.

Anyone installed win7 from microsoft media?  Any tips?  I've had issues with previous thinkpads not going well doing this.

Thanks

gan
Topics: 4
Kudos: 111
Solutions: 108

Re: Need to Repave my W520 with Windows 7 Ultimate, Use Vanilla Windows?

[ Edited ]

This is a pretty common problem with the Vertex 3 and seems like some registry changes will fix this problem.

You can try to make the registry modifications as described here:

http://geekmontage.com/texts/ocz-vertex-3-freezes-locks-up-stutters-and-crashes/

If you are unsure about this just export that part of the registry before you make any changes then it will be easy to revert back. This seems to have solved this problem for others using OCZ and other SSD brands.

Here is another thread where we discussed the same problem as you describe where a member also confirm that the registry fix solved the problem:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-various-SSD-issues/m-p/437079#M14830

-gan

Fanfold Paper
pkellner

gan

Users of Internet Explorer 9 are experiencing problems creating posts and private messages. The content is lost and appears blank when posted. While this is being investigated and fixed, please use Quick Reply, Internet Explorer 9's Compatibility View, or an alternate browser to post.

-gan

Fanfold Paper
pkellner

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the IE9 note. I thought I did post it correctly.

My comment was I have emailed OCZ support and their advice is (I think) not to use the drivers recommended in that article but to stick to the ones that came with the W520.  Also, i'm surprised that they are not being more proactive since it is after their very expensive drive that I'm sure they want to see work.  I'm posting what they sent to me below.  I also read through several comments on the posts and it seems that it's a little more registry magic than cut and paste.  It seems that you need to enter some values first before.  I am actually very experienced with the registry being a s/w engineer, but that usually makes me NOT want to edit it rather going for it. (please don't take this as negative, I'm just wanting to get this solved).

Please be advised that the status on your trouble ticket has been changed from Acknowledged to Waiting on Customer with the following comment:

-------------------------------------------------------

Comment: I strongly recommend doing a fresh install onto the drive. You can use the toolbox utility to reset the drive with secure erase. Once it has been reset do a fresh install. That should resolve any problems you are having.

If the problems persist it may be due to SATA drivers. Are you using Intel RST drivers? If so I recommend uninstalling these and going with the default Microsoft drivers.

Status changed by: Eric Von Stwolinski

Regards,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

---

Moderator Note: email address removed for your privacy.

gan

Since most people use RST i just assumed you did as well. If you plan to reinstall why not try the fix before you do? Worst case you mess up the registry, but you are going to reinstall anyway. Best case all problems are gone with a minor fix and you might want to reconsider the reinstall of the OS. I'm almost 100% sure that registry fix won't cause any problems and if you export that part of the registry first it's easy to revert back again.

As far as i understand you do currently have RST installed? So i believe the only solution is the regfix or do a reinstall of the OS and not install RST. Using the Microsoft drivers i have not tried so no idea if that will work fine with the Vertex 3 or not, but i'm sure OCZ know what they are talking about. I'm not 100% sure, but i do believe the RST driver are included with the chipset drivers as well. So you might want to be careful about installing the chipset drivers as if you do a reinstall. As far as i know it's a bit tricky to revert back to the Microsoft driver after you already installed the RST driver.

So basically the only advice i have is to do what seems to work for most others (regfix) to fix the problem fast and easy. Optionally you follow the advice from OCZ that will be a lot more work, but i'm sure that might work as well. You have to decide, but i don't think there are any other options at the moment.

-gan

gan

[ Edited ]

Just one more thing.....the W520 with the Lenovo pre-intalled OS come with the RST drivers installed and OCZ recommend that you use the Microsoft AHCI driver. In that case you have to do a clean install and NOT install the RST drivers or you have to find a way to revert back to the Microsoft driver without a reinstall using the Lenovo pre-intalled OS.

Also the registry part shouldn't be tricky at all. Just copy/paste the part and save as <something>.reg. Then doubleclick on the file to import into registry. Also you might want to export that part of the registry using regedit first as a rollback plan just in case. It's fairly simple, but then again you have to decide which path to follow.

Seems like the first link i gave they managed to remove the "\" so using this one instead it's just copy/paste:

http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Solution-C300-Disk-Freeze-ups-in-Windows-7-solve...

-gan

Fanfold Paper
pkellner

Thanks for the tips! I just got home for a week trip, did a full image backup of my drives and installed the registry patch. I wondered how quickly I could tell if it helped. Was immediate! boots fast, has not hung at all, everything seems like it should be now. Thanks for the help! I posted my story here: http://peterkellner.net/2011/05/22/nasty-problem-with-ocz-vertex-3-ssd-on-lenovo-w520-solved/
gan

Glad to hear it fixed your problem and i guess it's nice to avoid a reinstall which is usually pretty time consuming.

Nice job with with the story you posted at peterkellner.net.

-gan

Fanfold Paper
pkellner