Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
Ohmu
Accepted Solution

New W510, Updated BIOS - black screen on boot - Warranty?

Hi all!

I got a new W510 and decided to update the BIOS via the Windows 7 executable supplied by Lenovo from their Support-web. The program ran fine (all green checkmarks), the machine was restarted and then stopped and started again - but it never stopped showing the "ThinkPad" POST screen. The machine started to fire up it's fans after a while and the machine felt quite warm on it's top right side. I waited a bit (say 4-5 minutes) if there was some extra BIOS update that was being done but nothing happened so after a while I decided to shut it down. Now when I start it up, the screen is all black.

Will this be covered in the included warranty? It has to be, right?

Token Ring
schmidtj

Re: New W510, Updated BIOS - black screen on boot - Warranty?

Did you try loading the BIOS Defaults ?
Do you have any USB disk devices that might look bootable but aren't?
Unplug them and try again.

Blue Screen Again
Ohmu

Sorry for my late answer. As I think is clear from my previous message, there was even no way to load BIOS defaults as the screen went black as soon as I started the machine.

Two days later from my first message I sent it in for repairs. Almost 4 weeks after, and TWO motheboards (first one was apparently DOA) later the machine now works. As it seems, Lenovo had some problems getting spare parts out fast enough because it took nearly 2-3 weeks just to get the first (DOA) motherboard.

Anyway, even though it took some time, I can now enjoy my brand new machine :smileyhappy:

Token Ring
don820

Sorry to see I'm not the only one with multiple and ongoing system board failures.  Hope this one holds up for you!

Fanfold Paper
blade117runner

[ Edited ]

I too am having system board issue. My W510 hanged the other day. Everything froze. Will not reboot even after static discharge. Bios don't even come up. It is dead completely. Called support for system board replacement. Local technician contacted me today saying system board has been ordered but has no idea how long it will take. So it could be weeks ! (My backup laptop is a 4 years old antique with 1GB ram. I am a developer so this is killing me ...) My NBD big bucks warranty not well spent here :-(

Do or shouldn't parts replacement gets priority in the order fulfillment process?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

blade117runner wrote:

I too am having system board issue. My W510 hanged the other day. Everything froze. Will not reboot even after static discharge. Bios don't even come up. It is dead completely. Called support for system board replacement. Local technician contacted me today saying system board has been ordered but has no idea how long it will take. So it could be weeks ! (My backup laptop is a 4 years old antique with 1GB ram. I am a developer so this is killing me ...) My NBD big bucks warranty not well spent here :-(

Do or shouldn't parts replacement gets priority in the order fulfillment process?

they do, but there had been shortages in i7 CPU, and the channel that the parts order through is more cumbersome than the contract manufacturers that manufactures the laptop. I guess there is lot more paper work involved in ordering the parts than for people building the laptop. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
markwyler

same thing happened to me, with the exception that the support person on the hotline declared issues after BIOS updates as not covered by warranty. I called the head office in Switzerland and they confirmed - even stated that there was a warning in the BIOS update process stating that a BIOS update is not covered by warranty. I cannot verify now as my system is dead. He claimed all vendors do that. So even if the BIOS update ends with a success message if you have a problem afterwards you need to pay for a new system boar (around 1'000 USD). This really sucks.

I  will never do a BIOS update again.

Punch Card
twu2

[ Edited ]

It's free in Taiwan, just need to wait for the new W510 board but it's free.

At least one case, he got black screen after update BIOS, then wait for 1 month to replace the new board.

Paper Tape
opac

[ Edited ]

markwyler wrote:

same thing happened to me, with the exception that the support person on the hotline declared issues after BIOS updates as not covered by warranty. I called the head office in Switzerland and they confirmed - even stated that there was a warning in the BIOS update process stating that a BIOS update is not covered by warranty. I cannot verify now as my system is dead. He claimed all vendors do that. So even if the BIOS update ends with a success message if you have a problem afterwards you need to pay for a new system boar (around 1'000 USD). This really sucks.

I  will never do a BIOS update again.

Hi

I'm having exactly the same problem: I've done the BIOS-Upgrade on my new W510 with the pre-installed Lenovo Update Program in Win 7 and now it hangs at boot. I'm also from Switzerland.

Did you finally find a cheaper solution other than to pay 1000$ for a new system board? Can you tell me how long it took till you got your repaired notebook back?

Thanks, Armand

Paper Tape
andreas_garvik

Hi,

Similar problem for me:

I got a new W510 two week ago with Windows 7 64-bit and 4GB of RAM. I bought an extra 4GB of RAM,

so that I would have a total of 8GB. After installing the extra 4GB, it was detected by Lenovo Toolbox diagnostic
tool, but not in Window. Control Panel -> System says 8 GB Installed (3,06 GB usable), and also Task

Manager said 3111 MBytes.

So, under BIOS updates, I found this was fixed in v1.24. I downloaded the lastest BIOS 1.27 and installed it

successfully. At the end of the installation I am asked to restart.

I restart and initial screen comes up "To enter advanced startup (?) press Blue ThinkVantage button",

but it stays in this screen for 10 minutes and does not proceed with Windows startup.

I switch off the PC and boot again - now the  PC does not boot at all !! Black screen.

I think there must be something wrong in BIOS 6NXXXXXX  v1.27.

I have to deliver my PC to Warranty support for Manual BIOS flashing.

/Andreas