Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Bashar

Re: New W520 cant adjust screen brightness!

Hello,

I'm having the same issue but not windows i'm on ubuntu linux

sometimes i resume from hubernation it either goes to max or to minimum brightness and the only fix I'm doing these days is rebooting

thing is i hibernate because i dont want to reboot

any advises or solutions found for this? I'll keep goolging and if i find anything will report here

Thanks

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Bashar

also as per http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201103-7374 W520 is certified by ubuntu

btw things was working perfectly with my W500 before i upgrade couple of weeks back
Fanfold Paper
MirandaJ

adding this to my list of w520 annoyances. appears to happen after i wake from hibernate.

2720 qm

bios 1.26

power manager 3.62

8 gb ram

80 gb intel 310 ssd, 500 gb WD HDD

1920x1080

etc etc.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Bashar

please help issue still exists

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Bashar wrote:

please help issue still exists

Does Lenovo support Linux and do they have hotkey support?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Bashar

Serial Port
bouvrie

Adding to this, my laptop is a X220t (Win7 x64) rather than a W520, but perhaps the same thing applies.

I just woke up from sleep mode, and this time I was indeed unable to set the display brightness using the Fn+Home/End keys. But also, running SimpleTap would display the SimpleTap interface *without Brightness Control*. So I can't use that to change the display brightness.

Event viewer log doesn't appear to have much details on bad application crashes around the time it happens.

Usually in these cases, a reboot fixes it. Which is what I did.

Paper Tape
HurnII

[ Edited ]

Case study on screen brightness issue (which is in progress)

Initial state:

Lenovo Thinkpad W520 type 4282

Win 7 x64 installed

BIOS set for Optima mode

Thinkpad PM driver ver 1.65.5.20 installed

ThinkVantage Power Manager 3.67 installed

nVIDIA driver 296.35 installed

Intel Video drivers installed

HotKeys Integration installed (including Fn on screen display)

At this point, everything worked OK, except it seemed that the nVIDIA Q 1000M would only work with an external monitor (it did not seem to power or "connect to" the Thinkpad LCD screen.  This seemed to be "by design".)

Change introduced to the system:

Went into BIOS settings and made 2 changes:

1. Changed video to discrete

2. Turned Optimus OFF

Coming back into Windows, the nVidia video chip was redetected, the video drivers reinstalled, and LCD display was not properly recognized (seen as 800x600 only).  I manually reinstalled the display inf, reinstalled nVidia drivers and rebooted.

Second boot was more normal.  Display was detected, back to 1920x1080, and video driver seemed normal.

At this point, I noticed the "could not make screen bright / dim" issue which this thread is primarily concerned with. Not only did the screen not get bright/dim, but the on screen display (hotkeys integration) had been lost -- even the keyboard light on screen glyph wouldn't appear, although Fn + PgUp did toggle light on/off.

Attempted corrections:

1. Uninstalled and reinstalled Power Management software (but not the PM driver, as I hadn't found this forum, yet)

2. Uninstalled and reinstalled video drivers, monitor, function keys  integration, ThinkVantage system updater

Results: Eventually, I regained the on screen display that I was trying to brighten / dim the screen, but the screen's backlight did not change.

Attempted correction:

1. Went back to BIOS screen and set things back the way they had been, to use integrated + discrete video, with Optimus ON.

Results: no change with regards to inability to brighten/dim display

Tried changing brightness from the "Screen brightness" slider at bottom of Power Options Control Panel. No change.

-- At this point, I found this thread --

1. Tried closing them opening case - no change

2 Uninstalled Thinkpad PM driver.  Instantly, before even rebooting, while the Fn Hot Keys no longer displays on screen, the bright/dim functions are back.

3. Rebooted, reinstalled Thinkpad PM Driver.. Can still make display bright/dim, but still no onscreen display.

4. Uninstalled ThinkVantage Power Manager, Uninstalled Thinkpad PM driver, rebooted. Reinstalled Thinkpad PM driver and ThinkVantage Power manager. (Tried to re-install the patch as well, but was told "not needed")

Results:

Back to original conditions.  Integrated Video on ThinkPad LCD screen, Discrete video on external VGA port, Fn Hotkeys back to fully functional (includes on screen display of glyphs.)

However, I still want to force the discrete video chip to drive the onboard LCD screen.

Attempt number two:

Uninstalled ThinkVantage Power Manger

Uninstalled Thinkpad PM driver

Booted to BIOS, where set video to discrete chip and turned Optimus OFF

Once back in WIndows, installed Thinkpad PM drivers, rebooted, then installed ThinkVantage Power Management software.

Result: On screen display of glyphs back.  The system THINKS I'm brightening / dimming the screen, but the LCD back light remains at constant level. Same with using the slider in the Power Options Control panel: on screen glyph shows level going up/down, but backlight remains constant.

Next step: uninstalled Thinkpad PM Device driver (from the Device Manager) - including checking "delete the device driver"

Am rebooting, now, and will continue this post once computer is back.

Paper Tape
HurnII

After Reboot, the on screen display for integrated HotKeys is still working, as I see the glyph for raising/lowering screen brightness.  Screen does not get brighter/dimmer.

Reinstalled Thinkpad PM driver - no change

Rebooted - no change

Tried closing/opening lid - no change

Onboard LCD display backlight does not respond when the display is being driven by the discrete graphics chip.

2 plus hours spent on this, so far.

Awaiting suggestions.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Bashar

[ Edited ]

Sorry not updating the thread with the solution, I managed to resolve the problem by adding this line to xorg.conf:

Option         "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"

under

Section "Device"

so making it look like this:

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option         "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
    BoardName      "Quadro 2000M"
EndSection

for those who doesn't know what does xorg.conf means just open a terminal then:

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

update the section then save and exit, restart X (if you dont knwo just reboot/restart you PC) then it'll work just fine

P.S: thats ofr any linux such as ubuntu in my case

good luck :smileyhappy:

Bashar Al-Abdulhadi