Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
dacxint

New W700 user looking for a notebook + DSLR compatible backpack = need help!

Hello everyone, I'm happy to become a new member of this community, as I'm sure I'll have many questions in the future should I not find any answers through the search option.

My first question is, is there a backpack out there that will fit the huge 16" x 12" x  1.6" W700 and a DLSR with a bit more room for a flash unit and a separate len, if there is an exterior strap for a tripod it would be perfect.

I'm still waiting for my W700 to be delivered, and in the mean time I'vetaken these measurements to every camera shop I happen to walk pass (in Hong Kong, which is quite a lot). The only two brands I've looked at are Lowepro and Tamrac. Models are as follows:

Lowepro Fastpack 350 (I believe this is too small for the notebook)

Tamrac Aero Speed Pack 85 - 3385 (I believe this is too small for the same reason)

Tamrac Expedition 8X (This was recommended by one of the shop staff, who insised that should all else fail, this will fit)

Tamrac CyberPack 8 (If this can fit the W700, that would be ideal in terms of external size and usability)

I'm sure I'm not the only W700 user who has been looking for a camera + notebook backpack, so I hope some of you would enlighten me with your experiences and choices. This thread could become very useful for others down the line.

Once I have received my W700 I will head over to the tamrac showroom to test fit their bags, so I can write a follow up to confirm if they will fit the W700. But meanwhile, any recommendations will be very much welcomed!

Paul

Paper Tape
valerdos

Re: New W700 user looking for a notebook + DSLR compatible backpack = need help!

I am currently facing the same issue that I can't find a bag or backpack that would fit my W700 and DSLR with some photo stuff. I tried Lowepro CompuRover AW and while it's supposed to have large laptop compartment 13.6" W x 1.8" D x 19.7" H the actual fitting is only 16" so laptop just won't fit in it.

I also tried Tenba Messenger Large and while it's a nice lookng bag, it's still very tight for W700.

Next think I'm gonna try I guess is Naneu Pro K4L, however I'm afraid it's very similar to Lowepro CompuRover AW.

Have you come across some good options for laptop and dlsr?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
dacxint

Re: New W700 user looking for a notebook + DSLR compatible backpack = need help!

Hi there, thanks for puttig your two cents worth. I've had a good look around for a decent bag, and here's two worth mentioning (I have yet to find the perfect one)

Lowepro side sling shoulder bag - Stealth Reporter D650 AW

I managed to fit the W700 into the notebook partition after moving the foam dividers a little bit, but considering how much gear you have, a shoulder bag may be far too heavy to carry around. I therefore continued to look for a backpack.

Tenba - Shootout: Large Backpack

This one is available in rollers as well, I went to check the bag out (didn't carry the huge W700 everywhere I go you see) and it really is one of the best quality backpacks out there, however after measuring the notebook compartment, I believe the bottom half becomes too narrow to fit the W700's 12" width in.

There's a few more backpacks available that looks more than big enough to accomodate the W700 at this shop where I saw the Tenba models, I will take the notebook and my camera along to test earlier next week and show you the available choices.

Almost there

SCSI Port
Voodoo

I've though of cutting a slab of styrofoam to match the W700's size and taking it out to size a new bag.

Now if only I could find a piece of foam.. :smileyhappy:

Ctrl-Alt-Del
dacxint

I had the same thought, but failed to find a foam lying around for me to use.

I did go and test out about a dozen bags the other day, all Notebook + DSLR configurations. However unforunately nothing would fit the **bleep** W700 either due to it's thickness or width... (I tried the largest backpacks from Lowepro again, Tenba, Kata, and Crumpler.

I've given up hope for now, and my best solution is to buy a small camera bag (1DSLR+attached lens + spare lens) and some extra pouches for spare lenses, and then buy a HUGE backpack / notebook backpack (which there are quite a few) and then put the smaller camera bags and pouches in.

Its not the ideal solution, but other than that you can either wait a few months / years until they make a big enough bag, or buy a rolling case or side sling shoulder bag like the Lowepro Stealth Reporter D650 AW.

It's very heavy if you have the gear in, but its one solution for now...

Punch Card
jayanthd

Despair not- all it takes is money. Looks like this one fits the bill to a "tee": It was mentioned in another thread on the topic; Considering the wretched machine's size and the weight of my dslr with the telephoto lens, I will probably need a rollerboard!

Think Tank Shape Shifter - http://www.amazon.com/Think-Tank-Shifter-Photographic-Backpack/dp/B001OOEWLO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=el...

I think I will wait a while since I really may not want to take this W700DS beast out on the road anytime soon.

jay

Ctrl-Alt-Del
dacxint

Thanks! This bag is new to me, however I've already found another backpack perfect for the W700, its by HAMA of Germany

HAMA Defender 170

Review: http://www.benchmark.pl/artykuly/testy/Plecak_Hama_Defender/strona-1.html

Cheers for your help anyway, now we've got 2 solutions. :smileyvery-happy:

Fanfold Paper
cmalltheway

Is this Hama Defender 170 only available in europe?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
dacxint

I honestly can't tell you, I was only able to find 1 in all of Hong Kong, and it was the display model. I think you will have better luck ordering online if you're outside of Europe.