Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
matrix0101

Please add indicator LED light for the HDD and sleep back, add some system hotkey

[ Edited ]

After Lenovo have announced  the new T440 T540,we were shocked by the graphic card: GT720m (game card) and no indicator LED for HDD. At last we need a NVS graphic card to do some grophic related work or mobile business.

So we waited for the new w540, after coming to public we were shocked again there is :

- no indicator LED for HDD, sleep, wift and bluetooth,

- no hotkey to disable touchpad

- no hotkey to sleep 

- no turn on/off screen hotkey

- no hot plug for cdrom or second HDD 

these are miserable and somehow funny, maybe no indicator for apple is ok as most new macbooks are all SSD

rather than mechanical hard disk.

maybe no led for sleep for apple is ok as Mac OS goes to sleep very quick and they use SSD. But for thinkpads we close the lid and wait for the moon LED light to take thinkpad freely, also for the sake of hard disk rotation. Now we need to look at the power button which is impossible when the lid is closed.

no hotkey for sleep ? some friends said "  Fn+4 acts as a suspend shortcut (I think it was added in BIOS 2.05)" , we hope it is ok.

no notkey to off display? no hotkey to disable touchpad? It is really unconvenient

So is there update for these minus? Hotkey may update by the BIOS and driver. Will lenovo do so? After testing well, it will be back really easy to use.

And is there any Modle B for w540 to add LED back ? Missing indicator LED for HDD is nightmare for troubleshooting. Miss sleep indicator in front of Thinkpad(A-Side) is miserable for bringing sleeping w540.

Miss wifi and bluetooth is also unconvenient..... And it is not a very hard work.

Also it is said there is no driver update for fingerprinter reader from AuthenTec, because AuthenTec is bought by Apple?

For thoso who do is really smart but also keep the good previous features, 

PLEASE

http://www.notebookreview.com/ 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W540-Future-Owners-Thread/td-p/1308051/page/6

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Received-my-W540-today-First-impressions/td-p...

Broadband 3G
ibmthink

Betreff: Please add indicator LED light for the HDD and sleep back, add some system hotkey

There is a sleep indicator LED on the lid. It is the blinking red i-dot.

As you noted correctly, the hotkey for sleep was added with the recent UEFI-BIOS versions on all new ThinkPads. FN + 4 works very well on my T440s.

T440p/T540p come with GeForce CPUs, because nVidia no longer makes the NVS GPUs for Notebooks. There are more choices for the OEMs than the GeForce GPUs or the Quadro GPUs.

Fanfold Paper
matrix0101

Betreff: Please add indicator LED light for the HDD and sleep back, add some system hotkey

Thank you a lot for the reply!

SO  only problem is  no indicator LED for HDD, sleep, wift and bluetooth and fingerprint reader driver problem.

The way to turn on/off screen could be by a little software. Hope new bios could add the function back like fn+3:cathappy:

Well Lenovo good job! keep moving!

HDMI
Bauden

Today on shutting down the W540, I get the Windows blue shut down screen with the comment:

"Operations are in progress, pleases wait. The machine will be turned off automatically after the operations are complete."

OK, so I waited 20+ minutes....  Mouse logo spinning, but no idea what i/o's are going on. Fast disk access? Slow disk access, intermittent disk access? Or is it locked?  CtrlAltDel has no action. Mouse cursor does move.

So did a cold boot/restart (still not knowing what was happening in the Black Box).  Must have locked up restarting, as I waited 10+ minutes with NO IDEA what was going on, a REAL "black box".

Cold booted again, and  tried a Safe Mode.  Worked!, and did a check disk - said not errors????.  All OK now.... but WHERE IS THE HD LIGHT!!!!!!!

Now I just cheked, the Dell, ASUS, TOSHIBA, SONY workstations have them.....  We need to review this carefully at the R&D level, AND NOT LISTEN TO MARKETING!  T'was, my fault for deciding on the W540,  I never checked that specification, and just ASSumed all the indicators lights would be there! Now I'm stuck with a $2,500 toy - never feeling secure in the work being done.  I need rwo more workstartion, but it will be a nuissance to be on two types of workstations.

When I run my Stat package, it takes sometime 1+hr of analysis, I have no idea if the program is waiting, paused, or locked.... no HD activity light, no heartbeat no idea if I need to reboot, or wait.  Maybe it's an act ot terrorism to waste US worker's time ????  <g>

Guru
ColonelONeill

[ Edited ]

Good on Lenovo for adding back the sleep hotkey. Assuming that everyone will be happy with 'close-lid-to-sleep' is inane and reprehensible.

As for the indicators, I'm working on a series of Rainmeter scripts to sort of mimic the old LED indicators. They won't be helpful in diagnosing system freezes, though. (Nor will they be helpful during boot/shutdown/loggedout states.)

W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
HDMI
Bauden

[ Edited ]

Indeed, look at DriveGLEAM.  Same problem.  Useless on shutdown, lockup or boot up.

At times, I know I have an issue when I see a long boot up and the light goes i.e.  flash-flash-flash-flaasssh-flash (pause)  flash-flash-flash-flaasssh-flash.  Bad driver, time out..... etc.

The I go into the systme events, and find the cause.  Now, nothing, nada, zilch...

Personally, I'm so upset, I wish I could return the unit . . . as the lack of indicator cannot be fixed, and my unit will be counted as a victory for the marketing person that made the decision.     :smileysad:    Maybe an Apple user???

HDMI
Bauden

BTW, another irk!  The PSU brick has no light.  So what you say?  I place an in line switch in the cheater cord to the PSU, then when I shut off the system, I know the power is on, and I use the switch to turn off the power to the brick.

Several reasons:

1] Not a good idea to keep the battery in the computer under charge, when full.

2] Remote chance of overheating and fire of the battery/computer.

3] Similar chance of the brick burning up when sitting on a carpet (heat insulator), keeping the brink hot overnight.

4] Save wear and tear on the power receptacle, and less arcing of the contacts.

5] The light is an easy way to see the power is on.

Now I need an in line switch with a power on light!  What a waste of time......

SCSI Port
Takeda

The battery will not continue to charge, when fully charged, with the AC adapter on and plugged in.

Guru
ColonelONeill

[ Edited ]

While it is true that ThinkPads will not charge the battery when full until it slowly drains back to a default of 96%. What's disparaging is that they seem to be phasing out the custom charging thresholds, though.

While I'm at it, let me rant about the absolutely, horribly stupid idea to use a pulsing light to represent standby.

Instead of glancing at it instantaneously to see if light is either a) On, or b) Off, you now have to do this:

Look at it.

a) If it's mostly lit, ask yourself: Is it actually lit or just on the up phase?

Then you wait to see if it starts to dim, so you know it's actually pulsing.

b) If it's mostly dim, ask yourself: Did I accidentally turn it off instead? Did it fail to enter standby?

Then you wait to see if starts to light up, so you know it's actually pulsing.

The only thought that passes my mind as I'm staring at this light is that this is absolutely inane, and isn't something I should need to do.

Bring. Back. Indicator. Lights.

W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
HDMI
Bauden

[ Edited ]

Another example of the HD missing light failure.

I'm on the Tomtom web site, "Tomtom MyDrive" downloading a map and other updates, unknown to me...

The Tomtom WEB site indicator tells me that I have a 2+ hour d/l time to upgrade my map(s).....  I do have a 'thermometer" style indicator on the web page that appears stalled, then at times spurts forward......  what is happening??  Often these on screen indicators have no connection to what is actually happening, but just to keep the user amused.

The real deal, are there any i/o's  ?? the Tomtom device display screen is similarly dumb, with no activity.   I have NO idea what is going on.  It's all quiet . . . 

Betcha, they do not sell this unit in China.... They must have a fully functional unit for the natives, and a US version to slow down work.....

As an aside:  Just came back from Staples, and looked at ASUS, Toshiba and Dells.  Most have an indoicator light under the CapsLock , some on the Shift key, just like the W540 has under the Fn key.  Instead I get a Big Splash on my workspace (i.e. SCREEN!) flashing that the NumLock or CapsLock is on.  You can disable this ALWAYS ON feature via the software to show for only 1-5 seconds.  Then nothing on the screen.  Walk away from your workstation, then when back, you HAVE NO IDEA the of the key's status.  These computers at Staples, with all the indicator light features were in the range of USD 350-600.  $2,500 buys you a black box.   :smileysad: