Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
M8R-imdano

Problem Windows 7 SP1 Old Intel graphics drivers prevent install on W500

[ Edited ]

I can't install Windows 7 SP1 x64 on my Lenovo W500 notebook with switchable graphics, because according to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2498452 the Mobile Intel(4) Series Express Chipset Family driver is to old! My  Igdkmd64.sys  has version 8.15.10.2141 and any newer version would do.

I can't install the drivers directly from Intel, because the computer manufacturer (Lenovo) has to customize them.

I installed the newest Switchable Graphics Drivers and System Update doesn't show any updates.

So can you please update the intel graphic's driver, so I can keep my system fully patched and secure!

Blue Screen Again
M8R-imdano

Re: Problem Windows 7 SP1 Old Intel graphics drivers prevent install on W500

[ Edited ]

Ok, I could install it by using the stand alone installer instead of Windows update. Still, the oudated driver worries me, because it is explicitly mentioned to cause crashes.

Btw. This forum (reply, edit,...) doesn't work with IE9!

Paper Tape
asimona

Re: Problem Windows 7 SP1 Old Intel graphics drivers prevent install on W500

Hello M8R-imdano,

did you encounter any problems (stability or crashes) beside the already known issues (according to Microsoft e.g. Windows Live Mail 2011 crashes, ...)?

Right now I'm in the same sitatuation, need to install SP1 on a couple of W500 machines (due to security issues) but do not want to increase the risks for a BSOD.

How about this solution? Have you tried this?

• Disalbe switchabel graphics in BIOS settings, this should prevent Windows from accessing the Intel graphics driver, but will also prevent Windows from using the "power saving" Intel graphics, when on battery (i assume!)
  • Install SP1 as standalone Patch (not from MS downlaod center)
  • Leave switchabel graphics OFF in BIOS and just work with the ATI graphics card.

Have not tried this yet, but i hope it might solve the BSODs caused by SP1 for some applications.

Regards

Andrea