Support in other languages: 
Guru
PeterTWJ

Re: Problematic Seagate 500g on w520 model: ST9500420AS (reallocated event count warning!)

Hi maortl

I have an experience with Toshiba MK5061GSY on my W520 before being replaced to ST9500420AS. From my experience, Toshiba / Fujitsu HDD are far poorer, it is noisier and slower and it last in my W520 for almost 2 months before it dies. (Mechanical Failure)

Now, my 2nd HDD ST9500420AS seems getting slower day by day, access to different folders are slow even after Check Disk (chkdsk /f) with no problem with the file systems and Defragmentation completed. I wonder would it helps or worsen if I refresh / restore my systems? Accessing to folders can take 1 to 2 seconds...

Untitled.jpg

Peter

=============================================
Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve :smileyvery-happy:

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future :smileyvery-happy:

Refunded Set: W510, 4876-A11

Current Set: W520, 4284-A99

Dolby Home Theater v4!

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/m-p/451401#M1551... 

Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: Problematic Seagate 500g on w520 model: ST9500420AS (reallocated event count warning!)

@PeterTWJ,
Did you check the reallocation count on it?

My stock Fujitsu drive with my T400 was really quiet, although it was 5400RPM. Surprisingly, it's sequential read speeds were close to that of the Scorpio Black.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Guru
PeterTWJ

@ColonelONeill
Reallocation sector count are consistently 100. Have not tried Hitachi so far. WD Scorpio Black (500GB 7200RPM) was fast indeed and Scorpio Blue is great too on my parents laptop.

I experienced 3 (Toshiba / Fujitsu) laptop hdd failure.
Fujitsu (60GB) - 8 months
Toshiba (100GB) - 2 years+
1 from W520, Toshiba (500GB 7200RPM) - 2 months.
Perhaps it's the user (Me) not compatible with that particular brand / hardware?. :smileywink:

At home, I have a Seagate 40GB in P4 desktop hdd which last me 8 years before mechanical failures, a C2D desktop with Seagate 160GB running 3 years + and still running fine. :smileyhappy: Anyway, does Seagate standard drop that much compared to last time?

Peter

=============================================
Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve :smileyvery-happy:

Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future :smileyvery-happy:

Refunded Set: W510, 4876-A11

Current Set: W520, 4284-A99

Dolby Home Theater v4!

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/W520-Sound-Enhancement-Thread/m-p/451401#M1551... 

Fanfold Paper
rgeorge68

Re: I've been using this exact drive for 2 years with no problems

Hi. I'm too experiencing the same on my W520 and ST9500420AS. You say Reallocation means weak or failed sectors but only that event counter increases neither ‘reallocated sector count’ nor ‘current pending sector’ does (at least In my case they don’t). So I’m not sure there’re bad sectors. The increase is quite in sync with power on time count (in my case event count is 90, power on time count is 97).

Seagate has some truth in saying they trust only Seatools. SMART values initially are raw values, then they cooked by the HDD as current, worst and threshold values. According to SMART, if a value is above the threshold, the HDD is ok. Reallocation event count’s cooked value is 100 in my case which is the initial value, so the cooked value never changed. Only the lower bytes of the raw value increase and many HDD test programs (HD Tune, HD Sentinel, Acronis Drive manager) interpret these lower bytes as the actual event counter and derive their evaluation upon this. Unfortunately Seagate’s answer to my inquiry to resolve this was a reference to SMART definition and SeaTools.

BTW speed is not affected by even a large amount of reallocated sectors because modern HDD’s got spare tracks in between ordinary ones not at the end of the disc as earlier models.

Guru
ColonelONeill

I wouldn't trust a drive with any reallocated sectors. Make sure you backup a lot.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,306
Solutions: 283

I think backup advisories are fair, but I think we should be careful not to get too polarized in the discussion  - reallocations are a way that a drive can deal with degraded areas and to me, so long as there aren't a lot of constantly occuring, it seems a normal course of events over time.

While we want to encourage people to safegard their data, we don't want to create paranoia or endless debate over confidence in supplier choice or test program results, right?

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Is there any way to prove/disprove failure rates for storage devices?

Or put another way, does a nuetral third party exist that measures fail rates?  Where does Seagate and the 500GB drives Lenovo has been using rank?

Fanfold Paper
rgeorge68

My notebook and HDD are 20 days old so it is not only constantly occuring but from the start. From a Seagate support personel I got some disturbing answers about this reallocation event count, he said it has a upper limit of 300 (number of spare sectors on this HDD). There are doubts as to the accuracy of this information, maybe he was confusing event count with sector count although I told every detail about my HDD. But if he's right, this HDD will trip SMART in two weeks or so.

Fortunately this W520 of mine is a highly supported notebook and at such an early time the service will replace my Seagate to a Hitachi. Hope better luck with that.

Fanfold Paper
rgeorge68

A hint to this problem: according to HD Sentinel's collected HDD reports, Seagate HDD-s do not even report this Reallocation Event Count SMART value unless they have Lenovo firmware (the actual proof is for ST9500325AS. 500GB, 5400RPM, but this must be right to ST9500420AS as well).

Paper Tape
sumix

Hello to all,

a few days ago, I decided it would be a good idea to check SMART status on my Seagate ST9500420AS HDD in Thinkpad T420 that has been in everyday use for approx. 2 years. I found a big count on "C4 - Reallocation Event Count" (9697) and I don't know, whether it is a reason to worry or not. I think it could be only a different use of the C4 SMART attribute on this particular drive... there's also one interesting thing - that the "09 - Power On Hours Count" has a value of 9771, which is pretty close to the REC value - it seems to me like the REC value increased every hour, which would be unlikely caused by a real problem, I think. Well, I wanted to buy a new (bigger) harddrive event before I found this suspicious REC value, the only question is wheter I should hurry or not :smileyhappy:.

Btw, I'd like to replace the Seagate drive with a Hitachi HTS721010A9E630 (1TB, 7200 RPM), is there any problem I could eventually face? Say, somethink like an "artificial" compatibility issue when the notebook refuses to work with the new device, which can be seen for example when trying to use a non-branded (non Lenovo) wireless network card or so (I don't know if this is still true, but AFAIK used to be).