Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
shan_mcarthur

Problems with Windows Server 2008 R2 on W510

Hello,

I am having problems running Windows 2008 R2 on my new W510.  I did not have problems with my older T61P.  The symptoms that I am experiencing is that it looks like all hard drive communication will just block for about a minute. I can move the mouse around and interact with windows, but all applications that need hard drive access will appear to go non-responsive.  About 60 seconds later, everything wakes up and all applications become responsive.  There are no errors or warnings in the Event Viewer. 

I worry that I am overtaxing this laptop- it is configured with a SSD and a 7200 rpm drive in the expansion bay and 16GB of memory.  I am using the 135W power supply.

There are some drivers that appear to not be installed, including:

PCI Simple Communications Controller

Broadcom Bluetooth Device

Base System Device

Unknown Device

I don't know if this is a hardware issue, a driver issue, or just a general incompatibily issue.  Again, I bought this machine because Lenovo had a great reputation with me before with new OSes and server OSes running on their laptops.  I have to demo using HyperV, so I need to have Windows Server 2008 R2 installed on the laptop - I don't have an option for this.

Thanks,

Shan

Guru
PeterTWJ

Re: Problems with Windows Server 2008 R2 on W510

Hi, shan_mcarthur bg
I am running Windows Server 2008 R2 too on my W510. Previously I used 2008 R2 Datacenter and it is a bit faster and more responsive than other edition of R2 and Windows 7 (I understand priority setting are different). But the way it uses ram is more aggressive and my W510 has only 4GB, so I am running 2008 R2 Enterprise now. So far no problem. (Dual boot with Win 7 64bit Lenovo Preloaded)

Not to worry, the power supply should be able to take your load, a mobile workstation is built to run for high demands. Your W510 should be really a high-end submodel to be that powerful.

Does this problem occur when you are running Windows 7 Lenovo-preloaded. If yes, contact Lenovo Service Center, it may be a hardware failure... If no, try to download and install all the latest drivers and BIOS from Lenovo to see if it solves your  problems. For usage of bluetooth, go to www.win2008r2workstation.com for bluetooth support and special made drivers for Server 2008 R2.

I also require Hyper-V for learning and preparing for school academics and competitions. I would suggest that dual-boot with Lenovo Windows 7 in case of some major failures (to play safe), the Lenovo Engineer would say it may be caused by unsupported OS. With 2 different OS having the same problem will make the things faster and easier to be diagnosed and resolved.

Best Regards
Peter

Blue Screen Again
Tcenguyen

Hi , I can not install windows 2003 r2 , Just like you. When first boot up there were do driver to continue for the setup. I hope they have a solution for this. I know 2008 would work but client required 2003. Thanks You are not alone.
Fanfold Paper
ovidiug70

Hi,

Did you resolve your problems?

I want to buy a W510 and to do the same with it.

If you resolve it or not, please post your recommendations.

Thank you.

Ovidiu

Blue Screen Again
Tcenguyen

Yes. But I have to point out this. 1. To make it to install windows 2003 or windows 2008 server. You must change the bios, drive to compatibility not using the AHDCI that is always default in the bios. Remember if you changed this then your windows 7 that shipped will not work, however you can reinstall other os after you cchange it to Compatible mode. Good luck
Token Ring
shan_mcarthur

I didn't have a problem installing Windows 2008 R2, but I did experience some random delays and don't consider it stable.

I have ordered 2 more W510s - I should be able to validate on those if it is the platform, or the specific machine that has the problem.

Shan

Blue Screen Again
Tcenguyen

Ok. I am not guessing here. It is from Lenovo tech support. I called them. Using AHDC configuration seer in the bios under the sat is for lenovo image OS only, other than that you must set to the Comatibile mode. Try to call them yourself you would know.
Guys,
So what I did. The client required SQL 2005 and their apps, as the developer I needed those two requirement. So after research, I know I can have SQL 2005 and the apps both support on windows 7 64bit.
I decided to try and it is worked fine, so windows 2003 or 2008 is not needed. But I go ahead and let you guys know what tech suppot have told me.
Token Ring
shan_mcarthur

This cleared itself up when I installed Windows 2008 R2 SP1.  There is a KB article explaining this exact problem with the list of fixes in the service pack.