Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
damonlynch

Re: Problems with w520 and DisplayPort monitor

I strongly believe the problem is sourced with the computer, OS or driver, and not the display, because

1. it has affected two displays (DisplayPort monitor and laptop panel),
  2. it only occurs when running Windows, and has never occurred under Linux
  3. it occurs when the machine is freshly booted, and when after the energy-saving "sleep" mode of the monitor has been activated

From my perspective, I find myself thinking this an interesting moment in time: as a free software user, I know where to submit bug reports, and where to interact with the developers if necessary. With the exception of optimus, for me Linux is clearly working better than Windows on the W520. Moreover, with Windows I have nowhere to submit a bug report, and I have no idea if Lenovo or Nvidia engineers are made aware of the bug reports this forum can sometimes bring to light. I'm not saying this to diss Windows or Lenovo (not at all). I'm saying it merely because this is the first time I've been in this situation. It's an interesting feeling.

And yes Michael is correct, I don't think a satisfactory solution is to turn off the power saving mode of the monitor. It's a waste of energy and does indeed shorten the lifespan of the monitor.

Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

My bad.  I thought the sleeping problem was with the W520.

FYI, I see something similar when using my KVM.  If I switch to another machine, it seems the NVIDIA driver loses it's mind and the state.  Sometimes the video driver crashes and recovers but switches the monitor to a different resolutions and other changes.  This can also happen waking the computer (hence my confusion).  I happens on my W510 and the W520.

Restarting the machine, not using sleep, or not switching to another machine on the KVM were all workarounds for me.  As for the sleep state of the monitors I use, they sleep when my machine is off. 

RAID Mirror
PanEuropean

Damon wrote:

I strongly believe the problem is sourced with the computer, OS or driver, and not the display...

Hi Damon:

I do agree with you, the problem is most probably exactly where you suspect it is, and not with the display panel.

However... what I have learned over the years (and I am kind of long in the tooth, having started out with computers in the 1960s) is that sometimes, it just ain't worth the effort to solve a problem by pursuing a software solution when you can solve the problem much faster with a hardware solution.

An example is the common problem of Bluetooth mice being intermittent.  I have experienced it on the W520, and I'm sure that it is a software or a configuration problem, but; for $20 I bought a mouse with a wire on it and plugged it into the computer.  Problem solved permanantly, total time expended finding the solution was 5 minutes.

That's why I suggested - along the same line of thinking - that you get a dock and simply 'avoid' the problem, rather than killing yourself attempting to 'solve't he problem.  A dock would allow you to connect the DVI connector on your monitor to one of the two DVI outputs on the dock.  Not to mention all the other nice benefits that the dock brings with it.

Michael

W520 (4270 CTO), which replaced a W500 (4062-27U), which replaced a T42P, which replaced an A21P...
Punch Card
martinpr

Are you running the HP Display assistant on your PC perhaps? I suspect that it might cause trouble with the Optimus driver. I remember that when my HP Z24RW wakes up from sleep, through the HP display assitant it resets all the windows position and size to something way smaller etc. which is highly annoying.

802.11n
biznatch

[ Edited ]

damonlynch wrote:

I neglected to mention that I'm already running the BIOS in discrete mode only, because I use Linux heavily and optimus doesn't currently work under Linux. I have never seen the problem when using Linux.

You don't have to set the BIOS for discrete mode only with Linux (at least, not with what I'm using, Ubuntu 11.04).  My BIOS is set to Optimus and I just didn't install the Nvidia drivers in Ubuntu, so Ubuntu just uses the Intel graphics while Windows can use the Optimus feature.

Edit: nm, I'm an idiot, I mixed up discrete and integrated and the OP needs external monitor in Linux as well as Windows not just Windows :smileywink:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
W520 i7-2720QM | 32 GB RAM 1333 MHz | FHD 1920x1080 | Quadro 1000M | Windows 7 & Ubuntu 12.04
Crucial M500 480GB mSATA + 2 x 1 TB Hitachi Travelstar 7200 rpm | BIOS 1.38
Serial Port
damonlynch

biznatch wrote:

You don't have to set the BIOS for discrete mode only with Linux (at least, not with what I'm using, Ubuntu 11.04).  My BIOS is set to Optimus and I just didn't install the Nvidia drivers in Ubuntu, so Ubuntu just uses the Intel graphics while Windows can use the Optimus feature.

The Nvidia card is needed to output to the DisplayPort panel.

Serial Port
damonlynch

PanEuropean wrote:

That's why I suggested - along the same line of thinking - that you get a dock and simply 'avoid' the problem, rather than killing yourself attempting to 'solve't he problem.  A dock would allow you to connect the DVI connector on your monitor to one of the two DVI outputs on the dock.  Not to mention all the other nice benefits that the dock brings with it.

Hi Michael,

I see where you are coming from. I'm reluctant because the dock is more than $220. Apart from potentially working around the driver / BIOS problem, the only other benefit it would give me is a backup power supply.

Damon

Serial Port
damonlynch

After installing the 295.73 drivers, I haven't seen the bug reoccur. So it might have been fixed. If per chance someone from Lenovo contacted Nvidia and let them know about the problem, thank you.