Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
bagbaobao

Screen defect, brand new...new problem

[ Edited ]

I just got my W510 today, and there is a long crack on the screen. Anybody can tell me what should I do? Can I replace a new one? 

Thanks,

SCSI Port
Contrarian

Re: Screen defect

[ Edited ]

I would be on the phone talking with Lenovo technical support now.  Make no repairs yourself.  Get that thought out of your mind.   I would not be trying to use the W510 and bonding in any way with it.  Lenovo will, if your presenting problem is accurate, send you a shipping box overnight.  If you ship to them promptly, it will be repaired quickly and returned to you within a few days--all at no cost--under warranty.

Let us know on this forum what happened to your service request.

Good luck.

W520, 4270CTO, W510, 4318CTO; (2)T500, 2081CTO; Y560, 064657U, Y530, 405166U; T61p, 6465CTO, A31p, and L2461x Multi-touch Monitor, Mini Dock Plus Series 3
Fanfold Paper
bagbaobao

You mean instead of give me a new one, they will repair it? I didn't use it at all.

SCSI Port
Contrarian

I would have called Lenovo technical support by now.

W520, 4270CTO, W510, 4318CTO; (2)T500, 2081CTO; Y560, 064657U, Y530, 405166U; T61p, 6465CTO, A31p, and L2461x Multi-touch Monitor, Mini Dock Plus Series 3
Fanfold Paper
bagbaobao

I tried, but they close for the weekends. I will try Monday morning. By reading the threads here, it seems there are lots of screen issue...

Thanks, 

802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

Bagbaobao, if it was damaged during shipping, then an impact large enough to crack the screen may have caused other damage as well, which may show up later as difficult-to-diagnose intermittent problems. For that reason, I'd try to get it replaced under Lenovo's Damaged on Arrival or Dead on Arrival (DOA) policies:

- Returns and refunds (U.S.)
- Returns and cancellations (Australia)

- Mark's Advice About DOA Systems

If you have problems resolving the situation, then see the following post to learn how you can escalate your case within Lenovo:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Lenovo-service-broke-my-hard-drive/m-p/254807#...

Or, if instead of buying it direct from Lenovo, you bought it from a retailer, and that retailer has a return policy, I'd return it.

In any case, I don't recommend turning it on, which may cause further damage. And avoid getting the liquid crystal material from the display on you, because it's not good for you.

I have no connection with Lenovo, other than being a customer like yourself. Good luck!

Fanfold Paper
bagbaobao

Thanks Jimbo, do you have the US policy link? I think the DOA link you provided is for Australia.

802.11n
Jimbo

[ Edited ]

Sorry about that, Bagbaobao. This link contains the U.S. returns policy, which I've added to the above message.

And here are three additional quotes regarding service vs. returns within the first 21 days for a defective product, all covering the U.S. policy, and all from Mark_Lenovo, a Lenovo employee who runs the Lenovo forums:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion-Knowledge/RMA-conditions/ta-p/324205
"If you have a defective product, please first contact technical support to do problem determination and ensure it is not something that can be addressed over the phone. Obtain your service case number. Service / Support will offer to repair the system, and since repairs can often be completed within 24-48 hours, it may be worth considering this option. Understandably, some customers will not wish to have a new product repaired, and wish a refund or replacement. If this is the case, then call sales back and request the return. The sales agent will request the service case number to ensure this is a valid claim."

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-B-V-and-Z-series/What-is-the-final-solution-for-blue-screen-...
"If it is a hardware defect - bad HDD, systemboard, LCD panel, etc, then the customer is offered service. Generally service can repair the system faster than a customer can return, get credit, and order a replacement. But, that is the customer's choice. You could choose to return for refund / replacement within 21 days if you have a tech support case verifying the fault."

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/New-W700-with-dirt-behind-screen-glass-awful-L...
"As a new machine of less than 21 days, you could decline service, but you will need to return and re-order a replacement which will take longer, and consumes another complete machine."

Anyway, I think the policy is clear. If that's what Mark_Lenovo says, then I'd think that's what Lenovo will do (and if they don't, then you may want to PM him). Note that, if you re-order, then you may be looking at different prices than what you paid for the laptop in your original order, so that's one factor to keep in mind.

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Jimbo,

Thanks for helping on this one - great advice!

bagbaobao,

As others have suggested....

1) Call tech support - they are open sevens days week, 24 hours a day.   1-800-426-7378.   Report this as out of the box new system that arrived with the cracked LCD.  Get your case number.  Service may offer to repair the system - certainly your choice on repair vs replace.  Repair may be faster overall, but I can understand not wanting to repair a brand new system, and that potentially lingering concern that something else might not be right with it.

2) Call sales support on Monday and explain and ask that this unit be replaced if that is the course you decide to pursue.  Have your tech support case number ready to give them.

Let me know if you need help.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Fanfold Paper
bagbaobao

[ Edited ]

Guys, here is what happened so far...

I called in Monday morning, the guy was very impatient and told me they can only do return for me and maybe 15% restocking fee will apply. Then, because this is not what I wanted, I called back again( Each call wait for about 30 min before talk to the rep)...

The second guy was nice and told me to send him the pics in email, and they will exchange it for me. So I email to him right after...no reply

This morning I sent another email to follow up, no response...Then later today, I called in, the third guy told me they never receive anything and want me to send email with pics again! I am pissed off because I sent him twice...but what can I do, so I sent again...around 4PM, he called me and left me a message(because I was in the meeting) that he discussed with his manager and the only thing they can do is refund the money but no exchange.  

Does anyone know how I can escalate this issue because if I order again, I won't get the same price as I bought at thanksgiving? I think worst case, I will just purchase other brand instead...I am really disappointing...

Any suggestion will be appreciated.