Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
What's DOS?
fryon1031
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎04-11-2012
Location: United States
0

Should I wait or get it now

Hi I'm thinking about getting a W520 but I was wondering whether I should wait for Ivy Bridge W series to come out. I'm not going to be getting the new ivy bridge but I was thinking that W520 price will drop. Will the price drop a lot or just a little? I'm a college student and I'm tight on budget. I need help guys. I was thinking of getting W520 2760QM with 1080 4gb ram, smallest hdd so I can upgrade myself. Above setup comes out to $1399.99 at the moment. Shoud I wait for price drop?

Token Ring
Chatbox
Posts: 487
Registered: ‎11-04-2010
Location: Sydney
0

Re: Should I wait or get it now

Here's what I would do...if you're tight on budget (I was a student once).

 

Wait for used a W520 (but still in warranty) after the W530 is released.

I'm guessing some of the current W520 users will be upgrading.

 

The only 3 things you really need to look into from a used unit are:

1. Does it have the SSS issue (look for the 100+ pages thread).

2. Battery condition.

3. How much warranty is left.

 

Most used Thinkpads of 1 year of age don't usually get much cosmetic wear, if any.

 

If you feel safer with a new system, I'd still suggest you to wait for the W530 to be released, because some stores/eBay will try to clear stocks.

What's DOS?
fryon1031
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎04-11-2012
Location: United States
0

Re: Should I wait or get it now

thanks for the reply

 

I guess I'll wait for an used W520 or try to get one when W530 comes out.

 

thanks again!