Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
Christians86
Accepted Solution

Thinkpad W701 - Deleted BIOS, mysterious USB/Esata problems before update

Hi,

Yesterday I was supposed tto try out my new esata external disk, I had used it before with my EX495 homeserver, without any problems.

But when I conncted it to teh W701 it seemed like the connection failed and the drive fell to sleep when I tried to write to it. When I used USB it worked perfectly, and with the server esata worked without a hitch.

After trying that some time, I decided to try the lacie updater, and then a reboot. After that all of the usb ports failed.

I had allready looked at the Lenovo updateprogram, and found some updates, so I controlled the computer with the trackpad, and updated, but when the computer rebooted suddenly, and screen showed a underscore blinking and that was it. After that the computer screen went black and won't turn on anymore.

I have it it for 4-5 weeks now, and after 1 week the MB failed when setting in new ram, and was switched, now it has failed again - is there anything I could to, or does this one have to go in on service again?

Token Ring
schmidtj

Re: Thinkpad W701 - Deleted BIOS, mysterious USB/Esata problems before update

Try unplugging any USB attached HD devices and reboot.

Fanfold Paper
Christians86

I didn't help - so Lenovo replaced the MB, at least that made it start.

Blue Screen Again
scohen33

Just as a verification of this issue, I got the same problem when I updated my BIOS (letting ThinkVantage do it's thing).  I have a ThinkPad W701 (got it 4 weeks ago), just called support and they verified that I had to send it in for a new MB.  Would have thought there was some QC when releasing these updates, but, I guess not....

-Seth

Paper Tape
dazGizmo

Hi

I have also used Thinkvantage to update my W701........Black screen, powers on and lights up no bios screen or boot up......very annoying........

Daz