Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
pixtweak

Thinkpad Workstation Screen Specs - Lenovo Please Respond

[ Edited ]

Screen performance is a key deciding factor for many of us choosing a notebook workstation. Systems such as the W700 and supposedly the W500 are specificaly tailored for creative professionals whose work requires the best possible screen quality. Lenovo where is the information we need in order to know what we are getting and which screens meet our requirements? Dell has the following information linked to its system configuration pages that define and specify exactly what type of backlight, brightness, contrast, resolution, and very importantly % Adobe RGB.

http://www.dell.com/content/learnmore/learnmore.aspx?c=us&l=en&ref=CFG&s=gen&~id=hmc_latit_eseries_l...

I should not have to go to a forum to get second hand information/rumors as to what screen might meet my requirements. The information should be available, accurate and verifiable. Lenovo Sales staff should be aware of and have access to this information. They currently have no idea. Get with it! This is not asking too much, these are specs that we need to know and have confidence in, in order to choose the right system.

In the meantime can someone from Lenovo tell me which screen offers the optimum color gamut, brightness and contrast in a W500 or T500 screen, and what are the actuall specs, so I can get on with deciding which notebook I am going to purchase.

mod edit: fixed broken link

Message Edited by erik on 10-17-2008 05:17 PM
JaneL

Re: Thinkpad Workstation Screen Specs - Lenovo Please Respond

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the forum!

There are a few Lenovo employees roaming around in here helping out, but this is not an official support channel. You may or may not get an answer directly from one of them as there are way more of us than them and all of them, even Mark, have full-time jobs doing other things.  Instead, this is designed to be a user-to-user support and enthusiasts forum.

While I'm not aware of a chart for ThinkPads like the one your link points to, most, if not all, of that information can be found in tabook.

Message Edited by nonny on 10-16-2008 06:47 PM

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Fanfold Paper
pixtweak

Pleased to be back.  Thanks for refrencing "tabook". It is a good resource but the following specs they provide for the W500 "photography" model does not contain % aRGB:

Some: 15.4" (391mm) WSXGA+ (1680x1050) color, anti-glare, CCFL backlight,
200 nits, 16:10 aspect ratio, 500:1 contrast ratio
Some: 15.4" (391mm) WUXGA (1920x1200) color, anti-glare, CCFL backlight,
175 nits, 16:10 aspect ratio, 500:1 contrast ratio

I think everyone knows that these are "color" screens. What we do not know and need to know in choosing between screens is the actual range of color each can display. For digital imaging % Adobe RGB is just as important as brightness and contrast. These specs exist and need to be made available.

There are posts all the time from users on this forum asking about which screen to get. The information provided above is an example of the incomplete information we are left to make a purchasing decision from. You can not tell from those specs which screen has greater color accuracey. This should not be difficult information to find, because it is necessary in determining which screen to choose.

community supermod
erik

pixtweak wrote:

Dell has the following information linked to its system configuration pages that define and specify exactly what type of backlight, brightness, contrast, resolution, and very importantly % Adobe RGB.

http://www.dell.com/content/learnmore/learnmore.aspx?c=us&l=en&ref=CFG&s=gen&~id=hmc_latit_eseries_l...

the gamut specs provided in your link are the percentages of NTSC gamut, not Adobe RGB.

all modern notebook displays are 6-bit, making them less than ideal for color-critical work.   if you need a wide-gamut display capable of displaying most or all of the Adobe RGB color space then you absolutely need to be working from an external monitor built specifically for graphics.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 ULV · X60T SXGA+ · s30 · 600

Fanfold Paper
pixtweak

W500 and W700 specs - Color Space and Bit Depth

Here are the specs I have been able to come up with. Nonny the tabook.pdf you provided does list the specs for the W700 and one of the Toronto reps was good enough to get me the W500 specs which I am posting below:

W500:

15.4" (391mm) WSXGA+ (1680x1050) color, anti-glare, CCFL backlight,
200 nits, 16:10 aspect ratio, 500:1 contrast ratio; 45% color gamut
15.4" (391mm) WUXGA (1920x1200) color, anti-glare, CCFL backlight,
175 nits, 16:10 aspect ratio, 500:1 contrast ratio, 45% color gamut

W700:

Some: 17.0" (431.8mm) WXGA+ (1440x900) color, anti-glare, CCFL backlight,
200 nits, 16:10 aspect ratio, 400:1 contrast ratio, 45% color gamut
Some: 17.0" (431.8mm) WUXGA (1920x1200) color, anti-glare, CCFL backlight,
400 nits, 16:10 aspect ratio, 500:1 contrast ratio, 72% color gamut

The RGB LED screens being offered by Dell and HP are supposedly 10 bit and one can infer from NTSC  what to expect relative to Adobe RGB. Now how they are defining 10 bit is a good question, and I have included a link below for those who interested in understanding how fast and loose manufacturers are with their bit depth specs. I have not seen these screens yet (the RGB LED), but it is my expectation that they will offer a useable screen for once. I also expect it is still a TN panel type, so I agree regardless of gamut it will not offer the accuracy of a professional desktop monitor. 

http://www.brucelindbloom.com/index.html?WorkingSpaceInfo.html 

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/6bit_8bit.htm 

community supermod
erik

Re: W500 and W700 specs - Color Space and Bit Depth

pixtweak wrote:

The RGB LED screens being offered by Dell and HP are supposedly 10 bit and one can infer from NTSC  what to expect relative to Adobe RGB.

got a link?   i'd like to say that it's impossible but would first like to read how/why they are making such a claim.   they might have 10-bit internal LUTs but the hardware is still limited to 6-bit output.

Fanfold Paper
pixtweak

Things change and given that 6 bit is inadequate, I would expect 8 bit + to be a reasonable progression in notebook screens. The point of this post is that this information should be published and accurate. These specs directly relate to the usability of these systems. Professional Imaging and Design are the markets these notebooks are geared for. I or anonymous people out on the Internet are not who should be supplying this information. It is Lenovo, HP, Dell, Apple, etc. who should be backing up these systems with the hard facts. There is a discussion on Notebook Review regarding the new LG RGB LED notebook screen that lists its specs as 8bit. As the TFT Central article above points out you can not necessarily take these specs at face value even when you can find them. Again this should not be open to debate; the facts should be clear, completely accurate, and published for everyone to see.
community supermod
erik

i don't disagree with you on that point.   however, i don't rely on any notebook display from any manufacturer when doing color-critical work.   as of today, no one makes a notebook display which comes close to a proper graphics display.

my point is that if you're a paid professional then you shouldn't be working from a notebook display for pre-press or color-critical work period, regardless of manufacturers' published specs (or lack thereof). :smileywink:

with that said, i'll see what i can do about getting these specs to be added to the PSREF library.   i wouldn't mind seeing this added as well.

thanks for your input.