Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
salzrat

Re: W520 is a fine choice

Hi,

the power plan name is always "power source optimized". As far as I understand, this is the power plan that is automatically activated once you move the slider in basic mode (except for the extreme positions, which I didn't use).

How do I identify the exact slider position?

What do you mean with "original setting"?

With "location", I mean slider position, sorry!

With "maximum cpu speed", do you mean the "maximum processor state" setting in advanced setting of the power plan? I do not find the setting "maximum cpu speed" in power manager itself (where in the advanced tab should that be?)
Token Ring
Chatbox

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Are you currently using Power Manager 3.6.6?

Untitled.png

"Original setting": It was a question to you as that's what you stated in your original previous post.

"How do I identify the exact slider position?": Hum...good question, I think screenshots are required.

In general, for me, I find it easier to manage if I just go into Advanced mode...and just tweak everything there.

When you say, "The power plan name is always power source optimized"...does that also mean you only have one power plan?  Changing slider position, then apply, then switch to advance mode, you should see the selected power plan changed from one to another.

Also, when you move the slider in Basic mode, it may also select the "energy saver" power plan, depending on the slider's position.

Punch Card
salzrat

I think it isn't as simple as that. I use Power manager 3.66 as well.

What I believe is that the "basic setting" is actually more "advanced", as it tweaks the windows power management settings behind the scenes. The whole idea of the basic mode is to use ONLYthe "Power Source Optimized" power plan and let Power Manager adjust all kinds of settings according to the slider positions. You'll notice that as soon as you move the slider, your power plan will be automatically reset to "power source optimized". It doesn't help to check the advanced tab settings, as they are possibly not as fine-grained as the settings that the slider effects. My suspicion, however, is that these setting are not always consistently applied..

Btw, the "Maximum CPU Speed" is called "System Performance" for the w520 it seems, and it is always set to "Balanced" for non-extreme (left/right) slider positions.

My original position was at around 2/3 from the left (i.e., rather more power savings).
Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

[ Edited ]

ThorsHammer wrote:

Duplicate display works when set to Discrete.  External screen support works more uniformly when set to Discrete, too.  I know, you lose battery life.  But you gain control.

Making BIOS adjustments isn't a big deal as long as you aren't using Bitlocker.  Then it's a pain in the a$$.  Maybe Lenovo will test that scenario with the W530 and their enterprise accounts before release.

I want to clarify a couple of things in this reply since "someotherguy", a Lenovo employee, took exception to it and sent me private messages.  I think frankly he was confused about my responses here and in private.

1. The comment about testing the W530 has to do with my displeasure over the Optimus implementation in the W520.  You simply cannot use the current W520 Optimus implementation effectively if you need to project on another screen with PowerPoint or a number of other tools.  The Intel/NVIDIA integration on the W520 doesn't work intuitively and most people have to switch to using the Discrete GPU.  This is accomplished via the BIOS and if you have an environment that uses BitLocker, there are all sorts of implications.
  2.  Someotherguy indicated to me privately there are workaounds via BitLocker Group Policy settings.  I'll let him provide his esteemed guidance here.  I don't want ot speak for him.  As for myself, I am fully aware of BitLocker deployment and management.  I know how it impacts people in my company.  And I certainly know what my companies security policies will allow, and won't allow.
  3. I like the fact the W520 conserves battery power while using Optimus mode.  I also enjoy this with a variety of other models I personally own.  Again, the implementation in the W520 isn't the same and doesn't support four external LCD panels like the T410s, T420s, T420 and probably others I haven't tested.  I think Lenovo sould drop Optimus for the W530 and move to discrete only like the W510.  Either that or fix the integration so power, projection control, and multimon support works AS EXPECTED.
Lenovo Staff
someotherguy

ThorsHammer,

You're right - I did not understand the point of your original comment about doing more testing with W530.  I thought you were complaining that changing the BIOS settings caused havoc with bitlocker and that this was some bug unique to W520.  Now I understand you have general complaints about Optimus, and because of these problems you mentioned, you're forced to change the BIOS setting for certain use-cases and this has the side-effect that you mentioned.  Sorry for my misunderstanding.  I hope you can forgive me!  I'm here to help, not get into arguments.

Blue Screen Again
j9kewa

Even though this forum has started talking about other issues, I'd like to point out that I ordered my customized W520 on the 18th, as I mentioned earlier, and as of this morning it was shipped. That was quick.
W520 4270CTO / Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit / NVIDIA Quadro 1000M / 8 GB DDR3 RAM / 1080p Display / 500gb 7200 rpm HD / Intel Core i7 2720QM / BIOS 1.39
802.11n
ZipZap

Great! I'm interested to hear what you think when you receive it.

Yes, we forum folks have a way of going off on all sorts of tangents. Fun, isn't it?

ZZ

Blue Screen Again
j9kewa

Haha, oh well, it's good to absorb all the information.

The reason I was delighted by this was that due to my 500 gb 7200 rpm hard drive option, it wasn't supposed to ship until March 19th. So that's a significant change...

W520 4270CTO / Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit / NVIDIA Quadro 1000M / 8 GB DDR3 RAM / 1080p Display / 500gb 7200 rpm HD / Intel Core i7 2720QM / BIOS 1.39
Magnetic Tape
CVN76usn

[ Edited ]
Thought you sold your W520 .In one of your post you said you used, 135 W power Brick maybe not ? well on your way all most to a 1,ooo post in less than a year. The power must be a 170w brick to power the W520 CVN76usn Use this in respect of Chester W Nimitz who was a submariner , not the ship of flyers My LapTops are 1 2777-CTO with it all = X 301 01/09/2008 2. 4270 with it all = 09/08/2011 =W520 this has 3 batty 1. 6 cell 2. 9 cell 3. 9 cell slice someone out here needs to start a CO. Call it Newport ever needed Com \ feel for new people on these/ FORUMS thought they were to help us all, not to tear down a CO . I for one am sick of it Buy a LapTop then rebuild it ,Then if it does not work right it's no good, to save a few dollar's OH but we do have a co. Called New port news we make big big SHIPS does any one out here know the cost the make chips ?????????????? That sudden death you talk about may because I used a 135 watt power supply ?? Like Lenovo have given them over $ 10,000.00 a two LapTops Why ?????? If they do not work they FIX THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blue Screen Again
bloon

Re: Throttling on the W520 with Newest BIOS Update?

[ Edited ]

in order to prevent throttling using a w520 and discrete graphics on battery

system performance must be set to balanced

(not turbo or maximum turbo)

turbo boost will not function but at least you wont be limited to 800mhz

verified with throttlestop in monitoring mode

also maximum turbo does NOT yeild a performance benefit over turbo it is a gimmick pure and simple (all it does is disable the intel power saver feature during idle) according to my testing.

so you want turbo plugged in and balanced on battery power