Support in other languages: 
802.11n
Jimbo

Re: Very loud sound cracks using W530 in docking station

[ Edited ]

Pearf, I watched your video and, if you (or anyone else) have an expensive and reasonably high-powered sound system, I would avoid playing sound from your dock through your sound system, or at least keep the sound system's volume turned down low, until the bug in the dock is resolved. The problem is that a digital transient like that can contain very large high-frequency sound components, which can damage your speakers:

http://www.quora.com/Audio-Equipment/Is-the-loud-popping-sound-when-you-plug-unplug-your-speakers-ba...

And that would be really bad news. :smileysad:

Kudos for your great troubleshooting efforts. Good luck!

Guru
ExJamJus

@All,

Appreciate everyone's feedback on this. As the forum team does not have a W530 and a docking station. We've requested assistance from engineering team to check on this. Will post here once we have more info from the team.

Thanks
*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y2P (i5) ... Feel free to ping me if you want me to test some applications with your Y2P if you have the same model. I don't mind keep doing recovery on it if needed .... =)
Paper Tape
DaveHembree

[ Edited ]

I have a brand new W530 and docking station.  When I plug my external speakers into the docking port, I hear popping sounds every few seconds - even with the sound on the laptop muted.  A few other notes:

- Lenovo warranty send out a replacement docking station that does the same thing

- The external speakers work fine when plugged directly into the W530

- A co-worker's W520 works perfectly in the docking station - with the external speakers and no popping

- The external speakers work perfectly wiht any computer I have tested

I am not even sure where to begin to ask for support.  I have called into warrenty support twice - am on the phone now on hold for 102 minutes. 

Their support is TERRIBLE.  It used to be so great.  Sad to see this actually as I have several IBM / Lenovo Thinkpads and these were the top of the line just a few years ago.

What brand do folks recognize as top of the line now - other than Mac.

Moderator Note; post merged in, subject edited from "Popping Sound - W530 Docking Station"

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,323
Solutions: 285

Dave,

Thanks for your detailed update here.   Sorry to hear about a long hold time for support -that is really surprising.

Could you send me a private message with your case number and any details about been when you called?  I'd really like to follow up on this - certainly not the kind of experience we expect to provide.

We are actively looking into these concerns over crackling / popping being reported.

I appreciate exjamjus helping take the lead in collecting information for us.

Thanks

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Fanfold Paper
ce_t400

I have exactly the same issue with a brand new T530 on a Mini Dock Plus USB 3.0.

Internal Audio-Out works perfectly, Dock has this buzz.

Drivers are up-to-date

Fanfold Paper
ce_t400

As I do not have a monitor that allows for Audio-via-Displayport: Is this affected as well or does this still work properly? Is there any experiance yet?

Token Ring
Jimm98y

I have experienced similar problems with my old T61 in the dock (static and cracks even when the audio was muted) and the same issue is there with my W520 in the dock. The only 100% working solution is to buy some external sound card (which has much better audio quality than the integrated card anyway) - I have Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi HD USB (don't buy the cheaper version without HD - it makes the same popping sound as in your video during boot) and it's working flawlessly.

Lenovo ThinkPad W520 15.6" 1920x1080, UEFI 1.42, Intel Core i7-2820QM 2.3GHz, Intel HD3000 + nVidia Quadro 2000M 2GB, Kingston PNP 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz RAM, Crucial m4 040H 256GB SSD, Lenovo TP Drive Adapter UltraBay 12,7mm + WD Blue 1TB 5400rpm HDD, Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN, Gobi 3000, Lenovo TP Port Mini Dock Plus Series 3, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
Paper Tape
ctrudel

I had exactly the same issue and then gave up on using the built in sound. I now use an Asus Xonar U3 plugged in to the USB on the docking station connected via optical to my receiver and I couldn't be happier with the sound.

Retired Employee
NINE

hi all,

Just to keep you updated. I've since escalated the to the respective teams and they are aware and currently invetigating this issue. Currently they are requiring some more information. To those of you that have bought a docking station and facing this same issue. Could possibly PM me the part number (P/N) of the docking station.

Hope to get your PM

Do let me know guys.

Regards

Fanfold Paper
ce_t400

[ Edited ]

I have two docks and a T530 (with Nvidea Optimus), both with the same issue.

One dock at hand has following details:

Thinkpad Mini DOck Plus Series 3 with USB 3.0
Type 4338 S/N xxxxxxx 12/04
P/N 0B56231
FRU P/N 04W3586

Moderator Note; s/n edited for member's own protection