Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
ZPrime
Accepted Solution

Vista x64, ATI graphics, dock + external LCD = bluescreens?

I'm posting this in a separate thread because I'm hoping to get some attention for the issue outside of the massive "Switchable graphics" thread that has been dealing primarily with the mis-identification issue.

I have been running my W500 on a dock since I got it along with a Lenovo L220x WS display.  First thing I did after I got the machine was double the RAM to 4GB and install Vista Business x64.

I regularly get crashes when using the ATI video system.  The screens (internal LCD and external display) both go blank for a second and then return, that's how I know something is wrong.  Most of the time Vista will give the, "display driver has failed but has been recovered" bubble and I can continue working, but sometimes it will do this blank/return/"recovered" bubble process 3-4 times in a row.  After the 4th time (typically), the machine will BSOD/bluescreen, and the module that is flagged is atikmpag.sys according to WinDbg.

I've seen reports of this problem from a few other people; the common factors seem to be Vista x64 and multi-display.  I have no problems when I'm using Intel display and off the dock, but I *have* had the crash when NOT on the dock (and using single display) with ATI.

So, the ATI 64-bit drivers are a pile of crap, is my guess.  I have yet to see anybody on a 32-bit machine complain about this.

Is there any chance this will be fixed, or should I just get used to my "workstation-class" machine crashing regularly?  :smileymad:

Punch Card

Re: Vista x64, ATI graphics, dock + external LCD = bluescreens?

Same issue is happening to a ton of people with Vista 32 on the W500 as well. (me included).

That doesn't make me feel better, but at least you're not alone. 

Token Ring
Izmi

Punch Card
rmccallen

I am having the same issue, I have a W500 running Vista 32 bit with 4gb ram in a mini dock, I also use a Samsung 2343bw display. I get the ATI video (atikmpag.sys) crash every 2nd day or so. It doesn't matter what program I am running, it just bilinks a few times and then blue screen. I have the latest video driver and the latest Bios update and the problem is still happening on a failry regular basis.
Serial Port
jordan_moss

Hey Guys,

I am running W500 4058 CTO on Vista Ult x64 when I first got the machine it was shocking BSOD's and graphics hanging.

Since doing a clean install and using the latest BIOS (15/12/08) with latest graphics driver (16/12/08) I no longer have any graphics issues.

I use in both modes ATI when docked and Intel when undocked/on battery.

I have used mulitple external monitors on VGA and no issues.

Ensure you are using these drivers, if it solves the issue, which I suspect it will please close this thread.

Cheers,

Jordan

What's DOS?
danpak

I'm running W500 4058 CTO and Vista Business x64 and have the lates BIOS update and latest video driver and I'm still getting blue screens. I can't find a solution to fix this problem....

Thanks,

Dan

Token Ring
Izmi

Since the forum has been reorganized, the thread about display driver related crashes has moved. It is now here:

http://forum.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T400_series_ThinkPads&thread.id=3704